Hostages: Has the CBS Show Been Cancelled?

Hostages on CBS canceled?CBS has just released details about the two hour finale of Hostages but refer to it as just a “season finale” instead of a “series finale.” Does that mean that the “limited series” is coming back for a second season?

On Hostages, Toni Collette plays Ellen Sanders, a doctor who’s set to perform a fairly rudimentary surgical procedure on the President (James Naughton). When a group of men (led by Dylan McDermott) invade her home and take her family hostage, she’s faced with a lose-lose decision. If she doesn’t cause the President to die on the operating table, the terrorists will kill her family. The cast also includes Rhys Coiro, Billy Brown, Sandrine Holt, Tate Donovan, Quinn Shephard, and Mateus Ward.

The Monday night drama got off to a mediocre start in the ratings, drawing a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.41 million total viewers. In week two, the numbers fell more than 16% and they’ve essentially kept falling ever since. Last month, it hit a new low with a 1.0 demo rating and 4.5 million viewers.

The network touted Hostages as a “limited series” from the start but, had the show been a success, they surely would have found a way to bring it back in some form.

How? Well, we don’t need to worry about that. Unfortunately for fans of the show, there’s virtually no chance that CBS will bring Hostages back next year. The ratings are just too low.

Hopefully, the producers knew the show won’t be back and have prepared a very satisfying ending.

[Possible Spoiler:] The two-hour season (series) finale airs on January 6th at 9pm. The episodes are titled “Suspicious Minds” and “Endgame” and are described this way: “After Duncan discovers Sandrine’s betrayal, he decides to use her to save Nina and Sawyer. Also, just before Ellen is to operate on the President, the First Lady confronts her and forces Ellen to tell the truth about the assassination plot.”

What do you think? Do you like Hostages? Do you think it should be brought back somehow? Why do you think that more people didn’t tune in?

Dawn July 9, 2014 at 8:45 pm

PLEASE BRING IT BACK I LOVED THE SHOW

Anonymous July 7, 2014 at 11:41 am

I loved it. Would live to see it come back. Never missed an episode.

emily crumpler June 23, 2014 at 10:02 pm

bring it back its my favorite show

Patti Hair June 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I loved the show. I can’t believe that anyone even considered not bringing it back. If you bring it back more people meant see it and like it too.

Liz May 14, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Bring it back . The time slot was heavy and possibly many hundreds of thousands never got the chance to match it. Please give it another chance.

gary April 29, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Bring it back…. I never had a chance to see how they ended the series….. Where can I see the 2 hr. conclusion if you are not thinking on bring it back…. Other shows should be cancelled rather this one…. You could move it to a different time and day, not just drop it from your listing….. Think about it! There are many other show times that it could replace them with this…. It really is stupid on your part……

MICHELLE May 8, 2014 at 8:50 pm

This was such a great series. I told all my friends about the show and then it was gone. I would recommend bringing it back

anon April 20, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Loved it..cant believe cbs are not making another season for me this show is up there with blacklist and the following. .Please make another series!!

Sue April 16, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Love it!
At least bring it back for a better ending. I love Dylan McDermott! Give him another show please.

Anonymous April 7, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Love this show PLEASE bring it back :)

Melanie A. April 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Great show….bring it back, please ..OR please put Dylan McDermott in SOMETHING!!!! I love him!!!!!

darlene pino March 30, 2014 at 10:17 am

I loved the showBRING IT BACK season 2

Jackie Samuels March 27, 2014 at 3:54 pm

It was one of the best shows on television apart from the Blacklist are you mad to cancel it as the idea was brilliant and the relationship between them was fantastic.

Broody dies in Homeland why end this it is mad.

Bob pramik March 25, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Loved the show but I worried about it being killed off because the show didn’t afford another job and I think that is why people didn’t want to fall in love with the show only tone disappointed that there wouldn’t be another season. They shouldn’t have drawn it out so long then they could have created anothe hostage decision and let people hanging to find out how it comes out

Anonymous March 25, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Loved it! I thought it was as great as Blacklist! Too much competition in same time slot with more established shows. Try different time slot, please! Hostages is such a great show! I really think it had to do with the time slot chosen for the first year.