The Bridge: CBS President Talks About Cancelled Show

The BridgeBy putting The Bridge on the least-watched night of television, it was clear that CBS didn’t have much faith in the Canadian TV show from the start. After just two weeks, three episodes, and low ratings, the series was pulled from the schedule.

At this week’s press tour, CBS president Nina Tassler explained, “The show wasn’t delivering the numbers that we needed… Generally, our summer strategy works, and I think we’ll continue to look at other ways to do other Canadian productions and other kinds of scripted shows during the summer.”

The Bridge continues to be popular in Canada and CTV has already ordered a second season.

Unfortunately, there’s no such luck for US viewers. CBS hasn’t announced any plans to air the remaining 10 episodes of season one or to release them online.

A CTV representative also tells us that there are currently no plans to release the series on DVD.

What do you think? Do you want to see the remaining episodes? Would you consider buying The Bridge on DVD?

donald lennox April 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm

The Bridge surpassed any police show thats ever been offered on T V Bar None. The cast and the plot were super. PLEASE BRING IT BACK …… D. Lennox

CTV REGULAR December 16, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Please bring back The Bridge, it is a fabulous show and the story line was captivating, it held your interest and looked forward to the next episode. Being a woman I have strong feelings about the storyline and not just the actors. I hope CTV will give it another chance.

TV BUFF December 12, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Commmon… these comments are from the crew… show was not good at all… please… this is just another cop show… please toronto… start being original… think of some other concept.. please move to your own drum…. come up with something original…

Mary October 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I loved this show – BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous October 20, 2010 at 2:43 am

This is one of my all-time favorites, & it’s so annoying the way it’s been handled — here one week & gone the next. CBS hasn’t made any effort to promote the series, so how are viewers to know when it will be aired. Did CBS want it to fail?

LadybugQ October 3, 2010 at 8:28 pm

They didn’t even give the show a chance. I was very disappointed when I couldn’t find it on the guide to make sure I recorded it. CBS didn’t do much to advertise it. It was on, it was off. Enjoy the Canadian shows.

Ray D September 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I thought finally a decent cop show to watch. Hope it stays on here in Canada because I’m really tapped out on how slowly other shows like CSI move along. They are good shows but The Bridge is so much different from the main stream of crime story.

Ken September 24, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Thought the show was moving and great, and could not believe it was cancelled

ksev September 23, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I was so looking forward to this show…it was a quality show much like a cable network series. Perhaps a little tweeking was needed as it went along but I cannot believe it was taken off the air! There are alot of worse shows still in the everyday line up that seem to make it…I’m still not sure who decides these things! hopefully this will be picked up by a cable network in the future.

Anonymous September 17, 2010 at 7:29 pm

CBS has been my favorite network for years. However the changing the nights , times theand cancelling the good shows you have lost my place as a viewer. I have figured out about 75% of the showa I watch were on CBS. Your changing the nights and times of your best and longest running shows. Your cancelling good shows like flashpoint . and now removing the best and most popular stars from many of the shows was the final straw. I cannot believe that with all your mpney and power you cannot talk these stars into staying. Changing charac ters affects the shows greatly. why does Lawrence Fishburn get top billing and much of the screen time when he is new and others have been on CSI for nine years. WQhy does the big bang theory move into survivor time and survivor moved and why are all of the csi shows moved. Now both female actors are leaving criminal minds, one now and the other the end of the year and of course losing Melina Kanakaredes is a really smart move. Well I have other complaints but I have made my basic point so we will be watching all new shows on other networks.

aj September 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I agree.. I have been watching CBS more than any other BUT I really liked Flashpoint and the Bridge.. Where are they now?? I am going to be watching crimal minds and csi ny to see how that will be going. I do think all the other actors are doing great on those shows… Now if they want to cancell a show try.. csi miami.. glad when adam left and heroitoooo.. he is a rotten actor…

Gail September 14, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Loved it when we watched it and then it was gone…. BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Dale September 3, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I had taped the first two episodes and just got around to watching them tonight. Both my wife and I thought the show was really good. We liked the pace of the show and the characters were just coming togeather. Very dissapointed that it has been dropped. We would definitly rent/buy the DVD series if it became available.c

Ray August 24, 2010 at 10:29 am

Forget that!!

Ray August 24, 2010 at 10:29 am

Three episodes are not enough to establish a following no matter how damned good the show was. Of course, one needs to consider the very low levels of CBS management’s caring about their viewers and/or intelligence. They exhibited this all last season by constantly screwing up their primetime series scheduling for sports of any kind. As a senior citizen, who makes great use of tivo to enable viewing of my favorite shows at a time when I can stay awake to see them, I resent their careless tactics all to hell!!!!!

Jack August 23, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Saw it twice, kept checking tv listing, finally did a web search.

Pulled it WAY too soon – was already pulled into the story line.

Bring it back.