The Hour: Cancelled, No Season Three for BBC America Series

The Hour canceledThere won’t be a third season of The Hour, the BBC Two TV series. The show aired on BBC America here in the States.

Created by Abi Morgan, The Hour is set in the late 1950’s and revolves around a BBC current affairs news show. The dramatic series stars Ben Whishaw, Dominic West, Romola Garai, Anton Lesser, Julian Rhind-Tutt, Joshua McGuire, Lisa Greenwood, Anna Chancellor, Kelly-Jayne Adams. Burn Gorman, Juliet Stevenson, Tim Pigott-Smith, Andrew Scott and Oona Chaplin.

While The Hour was a success in its first season, viewership dropped significantly in season two. There are just 12 episodes total and the finale aired on BBC America on January 2nd.

A representative for BBC Two said, “We loved the show but have to make hard choices to bring new shows through.”

What do you think? Did you like The Hour? Are you sorry to hear that there won’t be a third season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

69 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

Just finished watching this well acted drama and franklycan’t believe it was cancelled! Strong female characters who for their time really showed what they were up against and how they came through. Grat male leads as well! So BUMMED that it was cancelled…really don’tget what else viewers are looking for!

2. Robin says

I’m so upset. I just finished watching Seasons 1 & 2 on Amazon Prime and now I am very upset to read that it’s not continuing for season 3. I hope enough people complain so you change your mind.

3. Betty says

I can’t believe such a great show had faced a problem of dropping viewership????!!!!! Was this deliberated done just because it revealed what’s happening in the society so true as far as most audience who actually don’t face such circumstances????

I can’t stop imagining what will happen on those people…I’ve already become as furious as they are in the shows…but overall…sad that there won’t be the third.

4. Sandy Pratt says

So very sorry to hear there will not be a season three of The Hour. One of the best TV series today. Excellent acting, story line, etc. Too bad it’s over . . .

5. says

Canceling the Hour Season 3 is a great tragedy. It is one of the most brilliant British dramas, very honest in its presentation of the difficulties, successes, tenuous hold on reality of news journalism and reporting. It’s this sort of drama that makes British tv so worthwhile and so much above the sensationalism of American tv. The show reminds me of Larson’s novels in its direct exposure of human vice and corruption.

I hope BBC reconsiders. What a shame to stop in midstream.

And what about Freddie???? Was he sacrificed so the truth about corruption in high places would be exposed? Or will we see him in Series 3, battered but alive, in the new series that BBC will finally decide to create?

6. says

I just finished watching this show on Amazon. I can’t believe it was canceled. I loved it, it was absolutely brilliant!!! The story line and acting are both good and entertaining.

• Claire says

Loved the series and feel sorry there won’t be a Season 3. It leaves us with the question did Freddie survive and will he and Bel be together? Did she reach him before he died?