The Hour: Cancelled, No Season Three for BBC America Series

The Hour canceledThere won’t be a third season of The Hour, the BBC Two TV series. The show aired on BBC America here in the States.

Created by Abi Morgan, The Hour is set in the late 1950′s and revolves around a BBC current affairs news show. The dramatic series stars Ben Whishaw, Dominic West, Romola Garai, Anton Lesser, Julian Rhind-Tutt, Joshua McGuire, Lisa Greenwood, Anna Chancellor, Kelly-Jayne Adams. Burn Gorman, Juliet Stevenson, Tim Pigott-Smith, Andrew Scott and Oona Chaplin.

While The Hour was a success in its first season, viewership dropped significantly in season two. There are just 12 episodes total and the finale aired on BBC America on January 2nd.

A representative for BBC Two said, “We loved the show but have to make hard choices to bring new shows through.”

What do you think? Did you like The Hour? Are you sorry to hear that there won’t be a third season?

jeanne July 16, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Please do another season. The Hour is one of the best written & acted series I’ve seen in a very long time. Don’t end it like this!

Denise Gamey July 15, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I just started watching it, maybe a week ago and finished the last episode, as I type. I cannot believe this series is done. The cast were all excellent. aaaahh – reconsider – please.

Corinne May 21, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I have enjoyed The Hour and I am very disappointed that BBC cancelled this captivating serious. I am hooked and now where will I find my drama fix.

What rationale could they use to explain this bad decision?

Canadian viewer

Irene v. d. L. May 9, 2014 at 11:42 am

The Hour is one of the most brilliant shows I’ve seen in decades. I was shocked to hear that it was not continuing. Poor judgement! I’ve just watched the two seasons again, for the second time. It was even more captivating…BRING BACK “THE HOUR” !!!!!!!!!!

Erin May 4, 2014 at 3:26 am

I live in LOUISIANA USA near New Orleans. I couldn’t get enough of the show, especially Freddy’s character. I can’t imagine viewers dropped off so, that you couldn’t continue. Big fan of Mad Men here but the lead Don’s character has spiraled down to a drunk pathetic man begging for professional attention….Good thing this is last year. I wish a producer here was smart enough to pick up the show. Second season at El Paradis was spectacular with Freddys life as a cliff hanger….How will we ever know if Bel got her man?????? Thanks for an Entertaining Series!!!!

RenaeBlue May 1, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Enjoyed this series very much. I am very disappointed to find it was not continued.

DKeyes April 25, 2014 at 9:17 pm

THE HOUR……..
I am so very disappointed to hear of the cancellation of this intriguing program.
I was completely drawn into the characters in Season One – Ben Wishaw in particular was brilliant and is the most unique actor I’ve seen in many years. There must have been a change in writers as the second season, went down a darker road, leaving this viewer less satisfied. However, surely with such a great cast – it could have become a classic Masterpiece Theater program.

Anonymous April 19, 2014 at 2:25 pm

We enjoyed the show and are sorry it has been cancelled. Much better than gag-worthy “Downton Abbey”!

Mark F April 10, 2014 at 11:11 pm

What was the BBC thinking?! Best show in a long time! The hour would have a huge following in the US. My wife and I love the actors and plots, sub plots, very well done. BBC you listened to poor advice.