Three Rivers: CBS Officially Cancels Alex O’Loughlin Series, No Season Two

Three RiversLast month, CBS pulled Three Rivers from the Sunday night schedule. Though the network would only say that the show was going on hiatus, most suspected that it had indeed been cancelled. We now know for sure.

Three Rivers follows a group of medical personnel in Pittsburgh who work in the fast-paced and emotionally-charged world of organ transplants. The series stars Alex O’Loughlin, Katherine Moennig, Daniel Henney, Justina Machado, Christopher Hanke, Amber Clayton, and Alfre Woodard.

The series got off to a slow start in the ratings and viewership got worse as the weeks wore on. The writing was on the wall when CBS decided against ordering any additional episodes beyond the initial 13.

In early December, Three Rivers was pulled from the schedule but the network has declined to call it a cancellation — until now.

Will CBS air the rest of Three Rivers?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

At the current Television Critics Association’s press tour, CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler confirmed to attendees that the show is indeed over. She said, “You know what, yes. We’ve all known each other long enough to know, when something is on hiatus it’s code for something else.”

Though the ratings weren’t very good, Tassler feels positively about the impact that the series has had. She said, “The reality is, it’s not too often that you get mail that lets you know as a network that eight lives were saved as a result of the organ donation that people become aware of because of that show.”

TV show supportTassler continued, “And every show takes its time in finding its legs — some shows take longer than others- – but I think at the end of the day knowing that the fact that that show was on the air and had that kind of impact is pretty extraordinary.”

Unfortunately, there’s no word yet as to when or if the five unaired episodes of Three Rivers will be shown.

What do you think? Will CBS run the unaired episodes or will we have to wait until the series is (hopefully someday) released on DVD?

Mary January 31, 2014 at 9:36 pm

“Three Rivers” was the greatest show on TV. I agree with the comments that were made so far … there really should be many series to follow. I work in the medical field and what we all do is amazing! Rarely do we get involved with the organ donation experience. I have been involved with procurements, where we harvest organs from brain-dead donors, but that’s where our experience ends. We don’t hear the stories of the recipients. This show has brought a reality to the lives that are affected by organ donation and that in the end everyone is blessed with the gift!
If there is anything anyone can do to get this show back I want to be apart of it!

Efrain January 16, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Personally I thought the show was great. Had it one my list for months but just recentlystarted watching it this week after episode 2 I was hooked. NETFLIX has another great one season show, The Black Donellys

Nina December 2, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Me too . I just found out about “Three Rivers” on Netflix and I love it ! I watched all the episodes throughout one day , i was really hoping to find more episodes on the internet . I wish that “Three Rivers” could come back on ! Now that a lot of people know about it , it would be great ! :)

Sarah November 15, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I just now in the past few days, discovered the series “Three Rivers” on Netflix, I love this show and am so sad to see it only has 13 episodes. It seems like everything that I truly enjoy watching, is cancelled and replaced with things I don’t care for.

I wish some other network would have picked this show up. It sure was great.

Denise September 8, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I have just watched “Three Rivers” season one on Netflix. I personally loved every episode. I am disappointed that there is no season two, three, four, etc…. I think it is one of the best “Medical” series that I have ever watched. I was surprised to read that it had low ratings. I give it a “10″. I loved it because the stories were about people and what is at stake. Not about everybody’s love life! Finally a show about how people really help others in critical situations. Not all about sex. I thoroughly enjoyed the actors and thought they did an excellent job of making each scene seem very real. The show had good balance, with just enough drama about the doctors lives to help you see that they are real people too! But, the focus was on the patients and their life and death situations. Wished it would come back to TV. Bad call CBS!!!!

zaty April 25, 2013 at 10:53 am

I want the season 2 of three river series ! they were so awesome ! Please carry on for season 2

catalina June 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm

imi pare foarte rau ca nu o sa fie si sez 2 a fost un serial superb fara violenta si imoralitate si doctori cum nu gasesti in romania

Beth July 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I loved this show, we just watched the 13 episodes on Netflix.. So sorry that those idiots at CBS cancelled your show.. You know it never ceases to amaze me that the good, clean shows with heart get cancelled and the lude, sex crazed horrible shows go on and on.. CBS will always carry shame for stopping your show.. boycotting all of their programming from now on. You all did an awesome job on this show – may the Lord bless each and everyone of you now and always..

moni July 5, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Why do all good shows have to be stop and not show any more. First time I seen a show of medicine that was about that and did not have sex and drinking. Nurses having sex with doctors and so on…….. I really enjoy wachting three rivers.

Anna July 5, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I love Three Rivers!!! It is a great touching series, I really cried watching those episodes. I love the way doctors showed that they care about their patients…. WOW! It was just great!! I loved it!… I know this could have not happen without those great actors! they were just perfect to perform those doctors, I really believed what they were doing! They are awesome!!!! I so want the season 2!!!