Wildfire: Why Was the ABC Family Series Cancelled?

WildfireAfter four seasons on ABC Family, teen drama Wildfire ends tonight. Devoted fans are understandably upset. So, why is it leaving?

Wildfire debuted back on June 25, 2005 and revolves around the world of horse racing. The series began with teen Kristine “Kris” Furillo (Genevieve Cortese) coming to the Raintree Farm from a juvenile detention center.

Season one averaged just over a million weekly viewers and season two increased to 1.56 million, an increase of over 50%. Unfortunately, season three dropped back to the first year’s numbers. Season four debuted in January. Soonafter, ABC Family announced that Wildfire had been cancelled.

Fans have petitioned ABC Family to continue the series. The folks at SaveWildfire.com have sent truckloads of hay, 500 cast iron horseshoes, apples, rope, and 1,000 pounds of carrots. Unfortunately, it’s higher ratings and additional viewers that the show really needs. As CBS learned from Jericho, a passionate campaign doesn’t necessarily mean that viewers will tune in.

ABC Family’s media relations manager, Amy Maloney, told the Albuquerque Journal that the fan support doesn’t come as much of a surprise. She said, “It is par for the course, in a sense that we’ve always known there is a strong fan base for the show… It’s flattering. It’s exciting.” In other words, Wildfire has a core audience but it’s not big enough for ABC Family.

Word is that Lionsgate, the company that produces the series, is looking for a new home for Wildfire. If the series is renewed, producer Lester Berman the cast and crew are ready. He says, “We’re saving a lot of the set dressing and the uniforms. We’re putting it in storage just in case there’s a miracle that [Wildfire] comes back.”

When the cast and crew wrapped their filming in June 2007, they were unsure if they would be back for season five. A few months ago, Cortese spoke proudly of Wildfire and the season four closer. She said, “I think we have one of the best casts and crews in television… On the other hand, we also end (this season) on a really cool note. I’d be glad to go back and get to work again with people I love, but if not, at least I’ll know we did a great job.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

lisa woods August 15, 2014 at 9:08 pm

plz bring back wildfrie i love love love the show plz plz plz plz plz bring it back to abc family plz plz

sadie smith July 7, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Wildfire is a neat show and is missed .
A lot of people would love to watch and support this show. Its nice to have a horsey show for us horse people. We don’t have any equine shows it was nice while it lasted.

Alivia C June 20, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Please continue wildfire that’s the best show ever and has taught me something I really really love this show and would be so happy if they continue the seasons.

wes June 8, 2014 at 12:42 am

Loved the show bring it back please

Tabbetha April 27, 2014 at 2:35 am

Please bring wildfire back i loved this show.

Reddy March 21, 2014 at 3:11 am

This show is horrendously inaccurate. Yeah, the characters are engaging and interesting, and yeah the acting is decently okay. But the people who created this show know nothing about horse racing. For one thing, the first horse ridden by Kris at Raintree – Oklahoma Crude – is chestnut with a white blaze. In a later episode, the same horse makes an appearance but has no facial markings whatsoever. Kris herself is a fantastic representation of how inaccurate the show is – she is too tall and too heavy to feasibly become a jockey. She is not fat or overweight by any means, but jockeys are required to weigh around or less than one hundred pounds.

Wildfire too is a very inaccurate, poorly designed picture of a racehorse. He was sold to the Camp LaGrange program for losing too many races on the track, which would put his age at about three when he got there. To be as well reconditioned as a pleasure horse as he was in the show, he would have had to been at Camp LaGrange for at least a year. Which means that by the time Kris arrives, stays, and leaves with him he would be at least four years old, but most likely five or six. However, they mention multiple times in the show that he is a three-year-old, which is completely impossible because thoroughbreds don’t start racing until they are two and he is supposed to have lost multiple races.

Raintree’s racing silks are also exceptionally false. In the first race, Kris wore orange and yellow. In the second race, she wore solid yellow. In the third, she wore sky blue and in the fourth they were purple and white. Barns do not change their colours that easily. For a racing barn to change its silks it requires applying to the Jockey Club, and it is an expensive process. Because of the financial difficulties frequently mentioned by Raintree’s owners, it is impossible for them to have changed their barn colours that many times in such a short period. It is also pointless.

Honestly, I try my best to enjoy the show but it is so ridiculous that it gets infuriating each time.

Sharon March 17, 2014 at 11:56 pm

I really miss wildfire it was a great show. I wish they would bring back again. Or brings back what happens to them after the wedding that would be nice.

sarah Pryor March 16, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I would like wildfire back on abc family please I loved watching this show.

Angela Fickes February 23, 2014 at 4:46 am

I hate it when they cancel good shows just like Roswell Only the good ones. People want to watch teen drama shows like Vampire diaries and it’s teens that keep them kind of show on air.So for older people we are stuck with stupid cop shows adults don’t have time like kids do to watch tv but when we do we watch shows like wildfire.I think if teens got out of the house more then shows like Vampire Diaries viewing would drop a lot I know I have 2 teens that are fans of Vampire Diaries and other shows like that.. sucks us adults don’t have many good shows out there for us to watch. We’ll there is just not ones I don’t care to watch sick of all the cop shows u seen one cop show u seen them all. They are all the same plz bring back this show or come out with more like this or Roswell

TAMARA HULSEY February 21, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Please bring back Wildfire. I watched all four seasons and I cant get enough of it. I would love to live the life they act. This show is the best show. I love horses and they dont have enough of these kinds of shows to show the love of horses. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING WILDFIRE AND THE CREW BACK.

Renee Goggans October 3, 2013 at 12:18 am

BRING WILDFIRE BACK PLEASE!!!!

Renee Goggans October 3, 2013 at 12:16 am

I also miss Wildfire The last episode I saw was a Wedding and then it was interrupted next thing I know Wildfire was canceled. SURE WISH THE SHOW WOULD COME BACK ON.

Amanda September 2, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I am still not happy wildfire is off the air. My whole family would sit up and wait every Monday for a new episode. We would watch them over and over again. I love horses and that was and still is the best movie/show I ever watched. Please bring it back.

Stephanie August 23, 2013 at 10:34 am

I wish they would bring back Wildfire to ABC Family I really liked that show

jesse s July 12, 2013 at 3:22 am

if you go on project free tv . com and type in wild fire you can watch all 4 seasons