2008 – 2009 Cancelled TV Shows: 10 FOX Series That Won’t Be Back for 2009 – 2010

King of the HillFOX announced its new schedule for the 2009 – 2010 season earlier this week and, other than the renewal of Dollhouse, there weren’t many surprises. If you count in the numbers for American Idol, the network is still doing very well with viewers in the 18-49 demographic.

New shows that are on the way for next season include Brothers, Human Target, Past Life, Sons of Tucson, and The Family Guy spin-off, The Cleveland Show.

Shows that will be back next season include 24, American Dad, American Idol, America’s Most Wanted, Bones, Cops, Dollhouse, Family Guy, Fringe, Glee, House, Kitchen Nightmares, Lie to Me, The Simpsons, So You Think You Can Dance, and ‘Til Death.

King of the Hill has been cancelled but, because FOX still has some leftover episodes, the network has indicated there are plans to air a few next season.

So You Think You Can Dance is also airing over the Summer. It’ll be joined by returning reality shows like Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?, Don’t Forget the Lyrics!, Hell’s Kitchen, and The Moment of Truth. Joining them will be new series Mental and More to Love.

Which FOX show shouldn't have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

As is the case every year, there are a handful of shows that won’t be returning next season. Some had already been cancelled while we only suspected that others had been slashed. And the unlucky ones are…

Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?
The Jeff Foxworthy-hosted game show pits the knowledge of adults against precocious pre-teens. The show is set to return with new episodes in late June but that’s supposed to be the end of the show’s run. For those who enjoy the series, a syndicated version will begin airing in September on MyNetworkTV.

Do Not Disturb
A sitcom based in a posh New York City hotel. With bad reviews and few viewers, FOX pulled the plug after three installments aired. Three episodes, including the pilot, were never broadcast.

Don’t Forget the Lyrics!
This sing-a-long game show is hosted by the always-energetic Wayne Brady. It returns to the FOX schedule for the Summer months but they aren’t making any more episodes.

Hole in the Wall
A strange game show in which contestants try to quickly contort their bodies to match the cutouts in a rapidly moving wall. There were 26 episodes produced and, to date 18 of them have aired. They may air at some point but there won’t be any more produced.

MADtv
The fourth network’s answer to Saturday Night Live lasted 14 seasons before FOX pulled the plug. Producers want to find another home for the series but thus far, they don’t appear to have been successful.

Osbournes ReloadedOsbournes: Reloaded
This strange reality show revolves around the crazy Osbourne family interacting with audience members and outrageous acts to create crazy stunts and comedy. Based on the poor performance of its March 31st preview episode, FOX has cancelled it. Five additional episodes were shot. They may see the light of day at some point but no others will be made.

Prison Break
The network says that Michael Scofield and frenimies can finally stop running. The prison drama is ending after four seasons. A two-hour follow-up movie has made and is coming to DVD in July. FOX may or may not air it as well.

Secret Millionaire
A reality show in which millionaires go undercover in depressed areas and end up awarding money to people in need. The network has said there’s a chance that it may be revived someday but, for now, it’s dead.

TerminatorSit Down, Shut Up
From creator Mitch Hurwitz, this animated series reunites several Arrested Development castmembers. Unfortunately, the series wasn’t beloved by viewers or critics as much. Four episodes have aired, leaving nine on the shelf. Again, they may air but there won’t be any new ones made.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
This sci-fi action series lasted just 31 episodes before having its plug pulled. Though you’d think that there’d be a big audience for a small-screen version of the Terminator franchise, not many viewers tuned in.

Will you miss any of these cancelled shows? Has FOX made any mistakes or have they gotten these right? See any they shouldn’t have renewed but did? Leave your comments below!

Here are updated listings for all five networks: ABC | CBS | The CW | FOX | NBC

Praveen November 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Terminator TSCC is the best show ever, both seasons were fantastic
The last 4-5 episodes was extremely superb and strong, i love it
Please bring it back, FOX has made a huge mistake by cancelling it, please give it one more chance

Ladyinpink March 15, 2011 at 9:09 am

I can’t believe you cancelled Prison Break and King of the Hill! Both were great. PB was intense and was a cliffhanger daily! King of the Hill is great for the ages of 40 something. Please create something as intense as PB!

Amber November 3, 2010 at 8:07 am

I beleive if your going to CANCEL a show, you should AT LEAST give it a PROPER ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are A LOT of people who actually Loved Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Firefly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
I want a Season 3 of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles!!!
The end of second Season wasn’t an ending at all. -.-
And with that… make’s me not want to even bother watching Fox at all.

Go fuck yourself fox May 22, 2010 at 2:20 am

Get the most stupid show in the world gay idol boring ass show and wtf y do they have it on two days they r dum

Jesse April 26, 2010 at 7:02 pm

JC your stupid Family Guy really freaking funny it makes me laugh all the time when I watch it. King of Hill was my favorite Fox is gay at least adult swim has family guy and king of the hill still. Adult swim should start making the new episodes for king of the hill ,family guy,and Cleveland Show. The Cleveland show is basically the same thing as family guy but a african american family. LOL I love Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, and King of the Hill.

Andy April 26, 2010 at 11:44 am

Well I am quite happy too see that King of Hill has been cancelled, I just think it didn’t happen soon enough. I really don’t think Prison Break or Hole in the Wall should have been cancelled since I love both of those shows

Adam Decker April 16, 2010 at 3:59 pm

They should have kept the two game shows to air. Also, MADtv might be good sometimes if you don’t want SNL. The rest I never really watched except King of the Hill. And trust me, that show should have ended many years ago. I’m not sure why I ever liked it. For the fans of it, it had a good run. They needed better plots for episodes for that and stop being so weird. I say, it’s about time that show is gone. I guess that shows the kind of crap Fox likes to keep on the air.

By the way, the only two shows that are worth watching now on Fox are The Simpsons and Family Guy because they cancelled Dollhouse, Til Death, and are getting rid of 24.

BL April 15, 2010 at 11:02 pm

HOW COULD THEY CANCEL KING OF THE HILL? IT WAS WITHOUT A DOUBT ONE OF THE GREATEST SHOWS OF ALL TIME. JUDGE DID GOOD WITH BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD BUT HE MADE ANIMATION HISTORY WITH KING. IT IS BETTER THAN THE SIMPSONS (WHICH NEEDS TO BE CANCELLED. IT QUIT BEING FUNNY YEARS AGO.)IT IS BETTER THAN FAMILY GUY (USED TO BE FUNNY UNTIL THEY CAME BACK FROM CANCELLATION AND KEPT TRYING TO SHOCK THE WORLD INTO LIKING THEM BY DOING POLITICALLY INCORRECT THINGS)

nick March 28, 2010 at 5:53 am

to Fox: Stop cancelling great shows like Terminator before the story concludes
Focus on the shows and drop the political stuff. You’ve made the coolest shows ever.
There are viewers all over the world you know…

JC February 16, 2010 at 5:29 am

Family Guy should be canceled. They are very discriminatory. I used to be a fan of Family Guy, but they have become more and more racist, and discriminatory.

Jackie Workman February 15, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I love Lie to Me! I’ve been looking for it thinking it was a temporary programming change. Cancelled??!! I’m very disappointed.

Kate March 1, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I agree with you I am really disappointed. It was truly an enjoyable show.

vOOdOO September 17, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I dont think you read that right. Lie To Me was not canceled.

Cheryl Adams February 13, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I absolutely loved the show MENTAL . Why would you take it off. There’s not enough good tv on to watch so keep the good ones and maybe get rid of some of the stupid comedy’s. I don’t care which ones because I don’t watch any of them. Please bring mental back.