Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Stacey S. February 5, 2014 at 11:59 pm

This was a fantastic series. As with some people who have busy lives no I could not tune in weekly to watch however, I watched all the episodes on Hulu and was pleased with show. As I also know of many of my friends and co-workers we are all disappointed that the show was cancelled. It had a good story line and I am hoping to find out NBC will pick the show up for a second season. Honestly one of the best shoes you’ve had on in a long time (besides my other favorite Law And Order: SVU).

Gwen February 6, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I am not much of a TV watcher….but I caught Deception on HULU and loved it…..I kept
coming back when it hit series 11 and was wondering, if I missed something……where are the next chapters……especially since, it had you in suspense.
Please give it another chance, and most of all let us know “who done it”?
Maybe the night and time were the thing that was off….not the show itself.
I am sure that the folks that were watching it,will definitely be looking for it
no matter what night you show it. Are the finale series in the can?….just sitting?

Barbara Hernandez January 17, 2014 at 8:11 am

Love this show please bring it back. That is so not right to stop it and leave it like that. Why would you do that to us??????????? Please bring it back thank you

0.6619355702211349 November 25, 2013 at 12:50 am

I have watched all the episodes on hulu and I enjoyed each and every character in the show, interesting, exciting, suspenseful and just a great show, please bring back this show. It is worth seeing new seasons.

Moling November 24, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I liked the show and caught with missed shows on HULU……only to find out that episode 11 was the end…………….they left the audience hanging….Who done it?

Please consider bringing it back next season. It is a good show……sometimes,I wonder about the numbers collected. Most things do not become a hit overnight,just likemost businesses dont always make a profit the lst year. I also thought that it was the answer to the other networks Hit show Scandal.

denyse layne October 22, 2013 at 1:37 pm

This is crazy I love this show bring it back

keida023 October 22, 2013 at 2:10 am

whats wrong with this show??? I thought it had a gd story line but I figured out the prob I think. its like a song with no hook this show could never be another dallas dynasty nots landing sure its gd but weve seen it before and its out dated

jeofferey-ann irving October 19, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I think nbc should try it again . everything doesn’t come as you snap a finger . have some faith

kim October 18, 2013 at 2:21 am

Nbc should try again! Folks were really just getting into Deception in our circle the scandal fans were starting to tune in….you missing out on a lot of potential money

Nmp October 16, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I love this show. How can they get rid of it?! Best show I have EVER seen !!!!!!!!

JJ October 3, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I think you should give it another try. I really got into this show and was hoping for another season. I gave up so many other shows to make sure I didn’t miss it.

sls September 28, 2013 at 12:00 pm

i love this show; it was the only show that i did not miss each week and the only show i watch of thiers.

Brenda Pratt September 28, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Please do not cancel this show. I have turned so many friends and family onto this show and we all love it.