Emily Owens, MD: Cancelled Show Star Joins CBS Pilot

EMILY OWENS, M.D.Mamie Gummer, the star of The CW’s cancelled medical drama Emily Owens, MD, hasn’t wasted any time finding new work.

Gummer has been cast in Backstrom, a new dramatic pilot for CBS. It’s based on the book series by Leif G.W. Persson and revolves around Evert Backstrom; an overweight, offensive, irascible detective, as he tries and fails to change his self-destructive behavior.

The project stars Rainn Wilson (The Office) and veterans of other cancelled shows such as Dennis Haysbert (The Unit), Kristoffer Polaha (Ringer), Beatrice Rosen (Cuts), Page Kennedy (Blue Mountain State), Thomas Dekker (The Secret Circle), and Camryn Manheim (Ghost Whisperer).

What do you think? If Backstrom gets picked up, will you be tuning in to support Gummer?

Kay S January 16, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I just discoved Emily Owens MD on NETFLIX and love it. Even NETFLIX has given it a 4 star….which is rare! I am watching episode 10 now and was very surprised to learn they cancelled the show. I think one of the reasons may because its one of those type of shows that you need time to connect with the characters. Really like Mamie Gummer and hope I can see her again soon in another series!

Kay January 16, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I just discovered the 13 episodes on NETFLIX and absolutely love the show! NETFLIX

heriel August 17, 2013 at 2:45 am

i was enormously dis appointed to know that the show was cancelled as early as the first episode was aired because i was tuning every time that it was airing , i hope and wish that could some one realized how insanely good that show was.

Kay June 18, 2013 at 12:24 am

I can’t believe Emily Owens, M.D. was cancelled. I don’t think that they gave it a chance for everyone to watch it. No one had even heard about it and “POOF” it’s gone. I for sure will watch Mamie Gummer in her new show.

Lisa Steele April 24, 2013 at 11:19 am

I’ll watch anything Mamie Gummer is in. I loved Emily Owens & am sad it’s gone. I identified strongly with her characterization of Emily Gummer.

Kimberly Miller April 5, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Well, if we can’t have her as Emily anymore (stupid network exec) I will support Mamie in whatever she does.

suzanna April 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm

most def

Reba March 26, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I loved Emily Owens, MD and wish it weren’t cancelled. I liked Off the Map, too! So sad that good shows disappear too soon (Veronica Mars, etc). We will tune in and support her in Backstrom.

tamara mendez March 24, 2013 at 2:58 pm

By all means, i would gladly watch Mamie Gummer in any new show. She is that good.

joyce March 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I loved her in emily owens m.d.. I think Ms. Gummer is a wonderful actress, and tho I was extremely disappointed the show was canceled, I will definitely watch her in a new series.

Bethany March 22, 2013 at 3:43 am

In general I like the star power, but Emily Owens was a fantastic show, and they killed it WAY too early. So although I don’t mind giving this show a shot because of who all is listed to star in it. I can’t say I expect anything more for this show than what EOMD got. Bit by bit I am finding that only cable is even remotely dependable when it comes to continuing to air good programs.