Glee: FOX TV Series Renewed for Season Three Already!

GleeThe kids at McKinley High really have something to sing about now. Not only has Glee been burning up the charts at the iTunes store but the TV show has just been renewed for a third season — essentially a year early.

Glee revolves around the faculty and members of a glee club from a fictional high school in Lima, Ohio. The musical series cast includes Dianna Agron, Chris Colfer, Jessalyn Gilsig, Jane Lynch, Jayma Mays, Kevin McHale, Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Matthew Morrison, Amber Riley, Mark Salling, and Jenna Ushkowitz.

The TV show kicked off last spring with a preview episode that performed reasonably well. Over the summer, anticipation and hype for the series grew and part one of Glee’s first season performed very well. It then went on a long hiatus.

While that’s helped to kill many freshman shows (see ABC’s FlashForward), Glee’s audience just grew. The April 13th episode attracted a whopping 5.6 in the 18-49 demographic and 13.66 million viewers.

Glee was given an early season two renewal in January. And now, just a few months later, FOX has ordered a third season.

“In just one year, Glee has transcended the television landscape and emerged as a global pop culture phenomenon,” said Peter Rice, chairman, entertainment at Fox Networks Group. “We are incredibly proud to have talent like (executive producer) Ryan Murphy and the Glee cast in our Fox family, and we can’t wait to see where Ryan takes the show in seasons two and three.”

Murphy added, “It’s been a whirlwind year — from shooting the pilot to performing at the White House to the concert tour that began last week — and yet we all feel like we’ve just begun this amazing musical journey. Having time to plan ahead is wonderful, and we think our Gleeks worldwide are going to love what we’ll have in store for them in Seasons two and three.”

What do you think? Are you glad to hear the show’s received an early renewal? Do you think the series will run for many years or does it seem like it could burn out after only a few seasons?

me May 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm

glee sucks hard!!! seriously, when is it ending?? they are all stupid all they do is sing cover songs they dont even have original songs. this show should be killed for good. it gets on my nerves and hearing them singing or talking makes me puke!!!!!! there should be no commercial ad for this show so i wont be able to see or hear this suckers!!! i think they can only survive one more season and people will get tired of watching it. they sing cover songs and make a dance video of artist so the show can be longer, that is so stupid. if they dont do that i think the whole show with no singin and dancin is this show is only 15 mins. it’s a boring show and a sucker!!

bev meyers April 18, 2011 at 7:41 am

Glee has always been one of my favorite show……however I take exception to the episode when one of the character’s father was very ill. The main message of the episode was that belief in God was silly…….the picture of Jesus on toast was very disgusting. Since when do views of this type have to be aired on a program like this?

erickofthenorth August 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I don’t think you watched the whole episode or maybe you weren’t paying attention. Watch the scene between Sue Sylvester and her sister at the end of the episode.

iamurmstr January 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I saw the first episode of the first season about two years ago
It was bad then, and is bad now
I just don’t see how people can find that show funny

Im sure the next person to blog is going to get mad at me and say “Ohh blah-blah- that guy has No sense of humor -blah-blah-blah”
Glee is a really bad show in my opinion

Robin Ogle September 24, 2010 at 8:35 am

I saw the show this week – am I seeing things or have Rachel’s lips gotten bigger – yikes !

Lauren September 7, 2010 at 12:31 pm

i love glee and i never miss a week of it but to be honest i dont think glee will stay on forever i mean they will run out of ideas for the show.

Melody G. July 3, 2010 at 11:16 am

Hope the kids can survive three seasons of 14 hour days. If anyone else thinks they work their butts off on a series, tell them to look at this schedule.

Emily June 4, 2010 at 10:02 am

I think it should end soon, like if they entered an international competition or something then let it end there… tv shows shouldn’t be carried on forvever.. it came on in the uk in january and i loved it then but i’m starting to get bored of it now… it’s just going to die off.

Jeff June 2, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I really don’t see it holding on. Shows that have so much hype can only disappoint. Shows with legs seem to slowly sneak up on you and build an audience with its quality and word of mouth. “Glee” seems as if it’s insisting we watch. That you’re not part of the cool people if you don’t. And that can’t last long.

Greg May 28, 2010 at 7:43 am

Ugh, I’m not 15 (I’m 28) so I really can’t stand this type of HS sing-songy crap anymore.
Counting the days till the “youth” grow up and the show is canceled.

lisa December 28, 2010 at 9:32 am

Greg,
I’m 43 and I love this show! You’re so cool…not!

Anonymous March 6, 2011 at 11:58 am

So sad for you. Fun is fun. Glee is fun. Growing up is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Jean May 27, 2010 at 6:43 am

Can’t the networks leave a good show on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tay May 24, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Great I love this show it is on the top of my list for best show on tv I hope it stays on for years to come fox and loyal viewers of this show like my self thanks for watching week after week and to you fox network for signing a contract for season 3 even though season1 has not ended.