Katie: Host Katie Couric Says Goodbye to Cancelled Show

Katie TV show last episodeToday, Katie Couric said farewell to her cancelled daytime talk show, Katie, after two seasons. The show was reportedly dropped due to mediocre ratings and high costs.

The final episode’s guests were Morgan Freeman, Susan Sarandon, Valerie Harper, Martina McBride, and Josh Groban. In his first appearance on the show, Groban brought flowers and noted that he’d wanted to appear sooner but had been on tour.

There were also plenty of taped farewells from stars like Betty White, Barbra Streisand, Jimmy Kimmel, and Drew Brees.

In the show’s final moments, Couric thanked her staff and her audience for their support and noted that it felt like the end of an era — even though the era has only lasted two years.

Couric is moving to Yahoo! where she will serve as a global anchor for the site.

What do you think? Did you watch Katie? Did you think it was a good daytime series?

Laurie B. September 18, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I enjoyed watching the show. She always had interesting topics & guests.

Why her show & not some of the others that are still on was cancelled is just
plain stupid!!

Josephine September 17, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I’m 88 and loved Katie’s afternoon show. Now its vanished, like so many other good and intelligent shows of the past, I won’t even bother to switch the T.V. on at that time of the day. GMA has about 5 mins. of real newsin the morning but the rest of the 2 hrs. is entertainment, and not very entertaining at that. What happened to old school journalism? Katie brought interesting people to the viewers with subjects and life stories that touched the heart and gave food for thought. She is a solid journalist and I’d like to see her return to being a news anchor again.

Susan September 17, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I sooo agree Josephine, the morning shows are predominately all fluff, is why I’ve switch to the Morning show w/ Charlie Rose & Gail King…. yes there is fluff, but it’s less NOISE & hoopla than the OTHER two shows!! Yes I miss the Katie Show. Steve Harvey’s show is in her spot in my area…. its different… yet growing on me (I will be 65 next week). Merideth’s show replaced Rachel & I am actually enjoying that… and I like the fact that Meridth is a journalist so does bring that to her show. So not sure what your replacements were for that 2pm to 4pm time frame (I have Dr Oz at 4). Blessings Josephine.

Judith fremerman September 17, 2014 at 11:08 am

I really looked forward to the people she had on and the information she shared. It was so much better than some of the stupid other shows that had no information of value and didn’t lift people up as she did. So sorry she is gone.

anonymous September 15, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I didn’t like the show. And I don’t like Katie…………

Kirsti September 15, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I didn’t watch the show often because it conflicted with my schedule. BUT I looked forward to watching it this fall. Had to Google info to find it was cancelled. Very sad. Ave is a class act, but not too happy about her move to Yahoo. I don’t think much of Yahoo News, but hopefully she can improve the quality.

Estelle Ruthven September 15, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I loved her show!

Rolanda September 15, 2014 at 10:13 am

Very sad to just now realize that Katie’s show was cancelled. At least she had indepth topics and good journalism. Disappointing based on other daytime offerings!

bebe September 14, 2014 at 5:22 pm

If your seeking an honest opinion! I lost respect for her and I didn’t watch the show because of how she ridiculed Sarah Palin!

Estelle Ruthven September 15, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I loved Katie’s show. I would rush home to watch it. And
now you have a court show on. My word!

Susan September 14, 2014 at 12:34 pm

So sad her show was canceled. I too did not know that it had and was looking fwd to the new season. She is a class act. In Sacramento Merideth replaced Rachel and steve Harvey replaced Katie. Really not feeling the merideth show. Harvey ok…will probly do fine. Really miss Katie … Something so genuine. I read the Washington Post article and I see the problem… Sounds like the ratings gurus think the daytime audience just wants fluff and celebrity stuff vs caring sincere interviews about genuine topics that intelligent people who like shows like Anderson (sad bout that show off too). Wld love to see the show rally back by the old fans (like Seinfeld did). I’d be happy to join that rally. Forgot to say i was SHOCKED that her show didn’t make it. I wish her well.

Suzanne September 14, 2014 at 6:38 am

I love the show. There was so much heart felt material on the show. People are getting away from the shows that show the good in life like Katie’s show did. What a big loss. What’s happening to us?

Anonymous September 12, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I love the show and I am surprise it got cancel the show was very informative and entertaining

Diane McFarland September 12, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I can’t believe the show was cancelled even my husband was shocked a soap opera over a smart funny caring person who shared many stories that touched our hearts I am very sad.

Aida September 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Katie is a lovely LADY.. I guess we lady’s don’t count in todays “Dog eat Dog” world.
I guess you have to let a man abuse you to get attention in the Media..

Virginia Rodriguez September 11, 2014 at 10:34 pm

I loved her show . She was really & showed a lot of class. She talked too everyone like her knew them for years. She was a joy to see her & hear her chime in on all the topics that came her way. Very sad to see her leave. I wish her nothing but da best……..
Virginia Rodriguez.
Dallas TX

Pat September 10, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Have not been watching much TV this summer. Did not know show had been canceled. Was looking forward today to seeing what I thought would be the start of a new season.
Katie is warm, sincere and compassionate. Good guests, different topics. interesting. Brought out the best in her interviews. Refreshing replacement for Oprah.

Anonymous September 10, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I was unhappy about the removal of the show, and not too happy about what replaced it. Merideth is okay, but she is no Katie! I watched Katie every day and enjoyed the show. I will miss her. Like so many shows that have been left behind, it is just one more loss that is a disappointment. CBS cares is B .S. If it were not shows that not even decent, (i.e) Two and a Half men would not be on the air. It is by far the filthiest show on television. Certainly not appropriate viewing during what would be normal family viewing time. You never had to worry about shows like Katie’s.

Anonymous September 12, 2014 at 12:00 am

I agree with all the above and not happy much with daytime programs lately.