Katie: Host Katie Couric Says Goodbye to Cancelled Show

Katie TV show last episodeToday, Katie Couric said farewell to her cancelled daytime talk show, Katie, after two seasons. The show was reportedly dropped due to mediocre ratings and high costs.

The final episode’s guests were Morgan Freeman, Susan Sarandon, Valerie Harper, Martina McBride, and Josh Groban. In his first appearance on the show, Groban brought flowers and noted that he’d wanted to appear sooner but had been on tour.

There were also plenty of taped farewells from stars like Betty White, Barbra Streisand, Jimmy Kimmel, and Drew Brees.

In the show’s final moments, Couric thanked her staff and her audience for their support and noted that it felt like the end of an era — even though the era has only lasted two years.

Couric is moving to Yahoo! where she will serve as a global anchor for the site.

What do you think? Did you watch Katie? Did you think it was a good daytime series?

Linds October 20, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I was so excited to have Katie back on tv as a talk show host, after missing her from the Today Show for years! She is intelligent, talented, funny, and genuine. No one interviews better. So surprised, disappointed, and sad her show was cancelled.

Andree Story October 17, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I liked the Katy Show, interesting guests and Katy is an intelligent interviewer. Don’t like the other talk shows that are running now.

Vicki Lea October 17, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I agree with everything, Elizabeth said in her comment…
After being out of touch with afternoon TV for awhile, I was unaware that The Katie Couric Talk Show had been cancelled, until I got comfy with a cup of tea ready to enjoy “Katie”….turned on the TV to see the Merrieth’s, thinking she was a Guest Host…then realized, Katie’s Show had been replaced or had a time change. To find out it was “cancelled” was a true disappointment!
I needed to be more active vs a TV Chair permanent resident was the reason I reduced some TV watching hours, although Katie’s Show at 3pm EST was on my “do watch” list….

I’ve always admired Katie, respect the role she represents as a professional woman and the way she “managed” her personal issues, especially the loss of her Husband due to colon cancer She’s brought awareness to so many, and probably saved lives by encouraging others to be proactive with these disease.

I miss her afternoon Show….Read a comment somewhere that mentioned they didn’t like the combination of mixing serious news worthy discussions and interviews with the “silly” stuff that so many talk shows focus on. I agree with that…I love how Katie interviews real people and their stories, that are meaningful stories or connect the “everyday person” with current national or world news and how they relate to our lives….

I don’t like the “silly” stuff on most Afternoon talk Shows either, although I wonder, since that seems to be added more and more after a good quality Talk Show has been on, is that the network decision based on viewer ? If so, same on you both….the viewers who don’t appreciate nor respect the profession status of some daytime Talk Show Host and the Networks for putting these professional’s Shows on the same level as viewers who want “stupid and silly” show content. It was the same with Anderson Cooper’s Show…..he and Katie are on the top of the list as respected “News Reporters….I think it’s disrespectful to their “Professional Status” to mix “the silly” stuff. The Major Networks are demeaning these Talk Show Hosts with “silly”…Let them share with afternoon viewers through Guests, personal stories that reflect and bring awareness to viewers . Bringing “awareness” of important personal and worldwide news topics, these amazing “News Commentators” can offer the viewers options how to be “connected and interactive” with making changes, voicing their opinions (to the local or Federal Gov or other resources) , and how to share awareness among friends and family about the major news headlines…On the “silly” side, the Networks “dropped” a few Talk Shows that offered humor and quality content: The Betty White Show, and the actress from the movie “Beethtoven” was able to combine good quality humor with bringing awareness of important topics for viewers…And that’s what I think!

Joann Singpiel October 8, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I loved the Katie Couric show. She is so genuine .
The guests were interesting. I watched everyday. I wish they would bring her back.
I watched the Meredith Veira show for a few minutes and had to turn it off.
Who cares about all her kids and husband. She needs a better Make-up person.
She looks old and washed out.
The show is silly.

Noel October 1, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I liked the show! I hate the Meredith Viera show. Much worse! Bring Katie back.

lb September 30, 2014 at 8:01 pm

THANK GOODNES…. PRISSY her smile reminded me of the joker. BY BY.

shelley holzman September 25, 2014 at 11:25 am

Too bad Katie’s show was cancelled. It had substance. Other talk shows are trivial and vapid.

Cheryl McMann September 24, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I think it was pretty crappy that they canceled her show because they can say it was low ratings but I watched it every day

Anonymous October 23, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I agree!

linda siebuhr September 24, 2014 at 10:11 am

sorry to see the show end, ratings may have been mediocre, but now in it’s time slot in my area the wendy williams show is on…REALLY?? replacing Katie with nonsense makes no sense to me….just saying

Anonymous September 23, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I loved Katie’s show, and miss it not being on.

Elizabeth Tagle September 23, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Who make decisions about cancelling shows?. These people should know that they `also have to educate people. Katy “is a lady”. The way she dress, the way she speaks and her intelligent way of conducting her show will be missed. Too bad those young brats that make decisions don’t appreciate this kind of talent . No I will not see the new replacement!
They should be fired!!