Longmire: New A&E Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Cancel or keep Longmire TV show?Not long ago, A&E unveiled their latest dramatic TV series, Longmire. Breakout Kings, another A&E show about lawkeepers, was recently cancelled. Will Longmire outlast it or quickly follow it to the TV graveyard?

Taking place in a fictional Wyoming county, Longmire revolves around Sheriff Walt Longmire as he tries to get back on his feet following the death of his wife. With the help of his daughter (Cassidy Freeman), his new deputy (Katee Sackhoff), and his best friend (Lou Diamond Phillips), Walt decides to run for re-election against a young deputy (Bailey Chase) in the department who also wants the position.

The TV show debuted on June 3rd to a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.15 million total viewers.

Should Longmire be cancelled or renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

That was a very good premiere for the cable channel and was actually the biggest in A&E’s history. Longmire was the third most-watched cable show of the night, only falling behind the NBA playoff game on ESPN and Game of Thrones on HBO.

New TV shows typically fall in their second week on the air but Longmire bucked that trend and actually grew. Last night’s episode drew about the same in total viewership but gained about 22% in the demo.

Unless the numbers hit a serious nosedive, Longmire is assured of a second season renewal. In fact, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t announced soon. It looks like A&E has a hit.

But, what do you think? Do you like Longmire? Will you keep watching? Do you think that it should be renewed or cancelled instead?

Jim Leslie September 2, 2014 at 6:49 am

Can anyone say….”Firefly’d”

Ro September 1, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I can’t believe you would take Longmire off the air. My friends and I can wait to see the show and talk about it. I know some of the younger set likes those stupid fake reality shows, but we older people enjoy a good story and well preformed shows. You did the same with Glades. I don’t know how you come to such bad decisions. Please give us back Longmire.

marsha schwartz September 1, 2014 at 8:08 am

I am very disappointed in the people that do the programming. first you cancel the glades, now longmiere. but the stupid duck people stay. give me a break
I would gladly watch the show on any other channel. will not watch a& e anymore

katy August 31, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Keep! Looked forward to Season 3 the whole time it was off the air. Will DEFINITELY watch on another channel when it is picked up!

Barbara Everhart August 31, 2014 at 3:07 pm

keep Longmire it is a decent show to watch

Ron Brown August 30, 2014 at 11:05 pm

When I read Longmire was cancelled on 8/29 I thought the A&E network
was run by a bunch of knuckleheads. This is not the first well received show
they have cancelled. What they don’t realize is the 18 to 39 age group are not
regular TV viewers, however the forgotten 40-60 group is regular and loyal.
I can’t wait to see what A&E thinks is better quality programming than Longmire!
I and my friends will never know, we have all agreed not to watch A&E anymore
as you start really getting into a show it most likely will be cancelled.

Brenda Backstrom August 31, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Longmire is one of the best shows i have seen in years. I was very upset that it was cancelled. I will not watch A&E anymore. If they can’t realize what a treasure they have in this show, there is no hope for them. They are not doing this show for the audience, that is for sure. I agree with Mr Brown, they have forgotten the 40-60 group.

Peggy August 30, 2014 at 10:31 pm

KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP

Madison Buckley August 30, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I hate you for taking Longmire off! I watch few shows other than news and sports. Longmire I love. Now it is gone. Screw you,

Anita Buckley August 30, 2014 at 9:44 pm

What is wrong with you people? Everyone I know waits patiently for Longmire and now you leave us hanging, without knowing what is going to happed to the deputy. You take away one of the only decent shows to watch. What are you thinking?? Get rid of the Kardashians and put Longmire back!

Barb Lossing August 30, 2014 at 4:53 pm

My husband and I anxiously await each episode. The acting is great, the scenery beautiful, the plots are so interesting and well planned. How can you possibly cancel a success story? I have tried to watch some of your other programming…………..yeah right? Please re-think and make a whole lot of loyal viewers ecstatic.

Mike Babbitt August 30, 2014 at 7:43 am

Cancel some of the reality shoes and make room for Longmire. Longmire is a program that allows you to follow along with the clues and evidence and solve the mystery. It helps keep your mind working. The reality most of the reality shows are just people making fools of them selves in front of millions of people. Besides that, I’m sure they are couched as what to say some times so they really look stupid to the world. I live my reality everyday, I want to sit back in the evening and enjoy a program that has mystery and some action in it not related to my real life day to day activities.
PLEASE KEEP LONGMIRE ON, ANY CHANNEL WILL WORK

Debbie Smith August 29, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Can’t believe A&E has cancelled Longmire!!. Stupid, stupid decision by A&E!! This is one of the VERY BEST shows on any network. It has great characters, great actors, great story lines. Longmire is the only show I watch on A&E, and now that you have cancelled it, A&E will not be on my TV anymore!! I’m sure that they will fill this time slot with another dumbass reality show. 3.7 viewers? How can you cancel a show that good?!

I sincerely hope that a smarter, sharper more watch network will pick Longmire up and A&E goes broke!!

A&E = IDIOTS!!!

L.D. August 29, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Please KEEP this show! Longmire is one f the best shows on TV!

Irene August 29, 2014 at 7:35 pm