Mob City: TNT Series Cancelled, No Second Season

Mob City on TNT canceledThere won’t be a second season for Mob City. TNT has cancelled the Frank Darabont series after a short season of six episodes.

Just 2.3 million watched the first two hours and only 1.4 million watched in weeks two and three.

A statement from the cable channel reads, “Mob City was created as a three-week television event and we are incredibly proud of the six hours we presented of this remarkable drama… Although the ratings of the limited series haven’t warranted more hours we are eager to work with Frank Darabont again and were delighted to bring the vibrant world of Mob City to life.”

Based on the book titled L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America’s Most Seductive City, the 1940s set drama features the talents of Jon Bernthal, Milo Ventimiglia, Neal McDonough, Alexa Davalos, Jeffrey DeMunn, Gregory Itzin, Robert Knepper, Jeremy Luke, and Ed Burns.

What do you think? Did you watch and enjoy Mob City? Should they have made another season?

gary harms April 13, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I really enjoyed this drama. I thought the writing was excellent and the show brought great suspense, very good performances, and an excellent attention to detail. But why not, detail; is Darabont’s wheelhouse. I always got the impression that this show was walking a fine line between Network TV and Premium cable. It really should be on Showtime of HBO where the grittiness of Mob City would be allowed to shine through. Very sorry that it is cancelled. I hope Darabont finds a Network he can mold to his style of film making after striking out with The Walking Dead and now Mob City. It’s our, the viewers, loss. Darabont is artistically superb and we need him to find a home. Someone at HBO should knocking on his door

Mike March 4, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I loved the show and I wish they would give it a chance.
I liked the chsaracters as well

ty February 17, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Rizzoli and Isles? really? That show I have not seen but looks like another law and order. Im fascinated by the mob, always have been. It was different than boardwalk empire but still good. I think if people understood the mob more they might enjoy it as much as I. Sorry to see the show be canceled

ty February 17, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I think its total BS. This series should continue. I really enjoyed it and yes it got off to a slow start but it just started getting good. I love mob stories and especially plots that take place in early 1900s. TNT really cut themselves short and didn’t give it a chance

Tha Critic February 11, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Ever since TNT cancelled “Southland”, I only watch TNT to see “Castle” re-runs. They offed “Leverage” too but that’s at least in syndication.

Grandizer February 11, 2014 at 1:42 pm

It was horrible, uneven pacing and trying too hard to be gritty and not really making it.

Good Mob Stories will never make it on a network station.
The language, the violence and the sex won’t allow it. The reason that Spartacus, Banshee and Boardwalk Empire are as good as they are is because they are not chained behind the censors.

John February 11, 2014 at 11:52 am

I really enjoyed the series and am sorry it has been cancelled or not renewed. I am not surprised, however, because of the 2 hour format. Had it been a 6 time one hour, I think more would have stuck with it. I know with TIVO it is easy to watch a little at a time but once you get started, you want to finish and I think it is too much to commit to 2 hours for a series. Hope the rethink it.

James February 11, 2014 at 2:23 am

Always felt like a poor man’s version of Boardwalk Empire. Definitely not a show or concept that should have been scaled down to fit basic cable standards. I actually really tried to like it but always ending up walking away feeling a bit…meh.

vp44 February 10, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Why am I not surprised? I had said back when the stupid network canceled King & Maxwell, and bringing this show on, I said no one is any longer interested in gloryifing the mob, it has been done repeatedly, and personally we are tired of it. So good riddance you got what you deserved. About the only GOOD show’s you have left are; Rizzoli & Ilse, Major Crimes, Preception. Cold Justice These are your good shows, as for all the hype your giving to that STALE Dallas, it runs in the same catagory of Mob City, been there done that, especially that DRUNKEN , cheating and UGLY,Sue Ellen, her and her f—— son make me sick, and this house will not be watching, as I am sure alot more won’r either and hopefully you cancel it too!

Peter February 10, 2014 at 9:39 pm

The show was, alas, thoroughly lousy: lousy script, lousy direction, lousy production values, lousy acting among the leads. Utterly lacking in suspense. I won’t miss it. Neither will anyone else. Just sayin’.

Jennifer February 10, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I did watch all six episodes and I enjoyed them. It wasn’t the best series I’d ever seen but it was, by far, not the worst. It did hold my attention and made me want to watch future episodes. Had it been granted a second series I would have most definitely watched. I’m a big fan of Frank Darabont’s work as well as Jon Bernthal and Robert Knepper. The cast, overall, was good. Saw a lot of faces I enjoy seeing on my television screen. Just wish the ratings would have warranted a few more episodes.