Saint George: George Lopez Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

SAINT GEORGE TV show on FX canceled: no season 2Following a 10 episode run with low ratings, FX has reportedly decided to cancel Saint George. There won’t be a second season of the sitcom.

On Saint George, a recently divorced successful entrepreneur (George Lopez) struggles to balance the parenting demands of his All-American Anglo ex-wife and the cultural expectations of his overbearing Mexican-American mother. The cast also includes Jenn Lyon, Olga Merediz, Kaden Gibson, David Zayas, Danny Trejo, Diana-Maria Riva, Joey Pollari, and Tobit Raphael.

FX made a deal with Debmar-Mercury (part of Lionsgate) that if the first season hit a certain ratings threshold, the cable channel would be obligated to order a second season of 90 episodes (similar to the Anger Management deal).

The sitcom debuted in March to 1.21 million viewers but the ratings quickly fell in subsequent episodes. The season (now series) finale drew just 651,000 viewers. As a result of the low ratings, FX has opted not to order a second season.

Though Saint George has been cancelled, Lionsgate is open to working with Lopez again. FX and Lionsgate are currently working on another 10-90 series, Partners. Starring Martin Lawrence and Kelsey Grammer, the comedy debuts Monday, August 4th.

What do you think? Did you like Saint George? Do you think it should have been cancelled or, renewed for a second season?

JohnnyKane September 20, 2014 at 10:45 pm

The show was great!!!!!!! Too bad it was cancelled. They always cancel the wrong shows!!!!!!

Ivonia September 18, 2014 at 7:27 am

I loved the show! Sorry to know that George Lopez got cancelled. Yes, it not marketed enough to know that he had a sitcom out. I was just surfing when I realized he had a New TV sitcom show out. And believe me I’m a TV junkie… Anyway, he really need to get back out there and make another one!!! Oh yeah, Danny Trejo was great too!!! The rest of the cast were, okay. George Lopez need to continue with comedy shows!!!!

Frank Romo August 31, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Sorry, but he’s too self-centered, it’s all about him, se eso bien pendejo, (made himself a dumbass)! When he lost sight of himself was after the HBO special, after that it went to his head. He was rubbing elbows with Obama, thinking he was going to get a bump by being el payaso, (clown) instead he got squat… Basically, he forgot where came from, exactly what he accused Erik Estrada of doing…

Vicki August 31, 2014 at 12:54 am

The show was not marketed well enough. People had barely heard of it.
I liked the characters George, his mother, uncle, cousin, and the principal/coworker, but his ex-wife was too far a California stereotype, as was his son. It was a shame that, and it stretched believability that his son would be that ignorant of Mexican-American culture.

I have a suggestion for George’s career path, and that would be for him to do a serious dramatic series now, with humorous edges of course, presenting the ongoing issues in the Mexican-American community. Just a thought.

Lydia August 28, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I was a bit disappointed with this show. I loved the Mexican and Caucasian humor, but I thought the racist jokes were a bit much to watch more than a couple of shows. It’s just the age ol thing if it’s about your own race and you are telling the joke it’s fine, but when another race makes the same kind of joke… it’s just not funny.

Alex August 15, 2014 at 12:54 pm

George who was co-producer should of made sure to make us CHICANO / Mexican look real and not like fools …Danny was playing a Tio that was a drunk and unemployed! His cousin a grown man calling his father ( Danny ) “DADDY” what grown man calls their father “DADDY”.. the mother had her moments..the white son George kid..you got to be kidding George. Too white! How did you figure that kid can pass as yours?? Your dark and he’s too white. you could of gotten a actor that looks a lil Latino….this show was lame….your character didnt want to seduce the beautiful women that hit on him!! You GAY?? This sitcom was done in a hurry and not planned out properly. ..shame on you George!!!

alice rivera August 7, 2014 at 8:35 pm

all the sports that were on Thursday in 2014, and the finals were what most people were watching . I don’t think anyone had a fair chance to start a new series. I think with a little more time and a few changes, it would have been a good show. George Lopez was funny. The woman that played his mother was horrible. At least on George Lopez show before, the mother did have redemption, not on Saint George.I wanted to slap her not laugh. I was starting to get use to the new people. I wished he would have brought his old show back with the same cast, but updated to 2014. Grown children with children of their own. I’m sure that would make it. They were all great. Well I’m 72 and would like to see George Lopez have a show again. I do love his comedy.

ellen July 28, 2014 at 8:22 am

George himself was funny. The supporting cast was horrible.

Frank Romo July 28, 2014 at 11:57 am

It’s not even worth getting into it, this, along with his other attempts at humor were lame….

Maggie July 27, 2014 at 6:24 pm

The show was o.k. I thought Danny Trejo as the uncle was the only good character in the show.
Good luck George Lopez, stick with comedy gigs!