Southland: Cancelled? Ben McKenzie Says…

Southland canceled?Benjamin McKenzie, one of the stars of TNT’s Southland series, has signed on as one of the leads in CBS’ The Advocates pilot. He’ll play a man who’s released after being imprisoned for 16 years for a crime he didn’t commit. He teams with a female attorney (Brit Morgan) to help fight for the underdogs.

Does this mean that Southland has been cancelled? No, but both Southland and The Advocates are produced by Warner Bros. so one would guess they know the status of the TNT series better than anyone.

McKenzie maintains that Southland’s fate hasn’t been decided yet. He tweeted, “To clarify: I am doing “Advocates” in second position to #SouthLAnd. If picked up for a sixth season, I am doing that. #SouthLAnd forever.”

He followed that up with, “I’m honored to be a part of the best cop show on TV (IMHO). I hope and pray it returns. Nothing would make me happier. #SouthLAnd forever.”

There may still be reason to worry about Southland’s fate however. The show’s ratings have been way down this season. The three episodes that have aired so far have averaged just 1.18 million viewers. The first three of last season averaged 2.01 million.

What do you think? Are you hoping that Southland is renewed for a sixth season? If it’s not, would you watch McKenzie in The Advocates?

Gina Parrish October 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I do not understand why they cancel great shows. Southland is the best show. It appears to be very realistic and the actors are amazing. I am sick of the dam realty shows. Bring back SOUTHLAND.

Sonia June 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

While I HATE that the powers that be have canceled Southland – should Ben McKenzie turn up in The Advocates and it’s picked up, I definitely will watch it – assuming it’s 1/2 as good as Southland. What is WRONG with the networks that they can’t ‘smell’ a good show while it’s running – the ‘fans’ had to rush out to protect Friday Night Lights from early cancellation – that’s what should have been done here.

Cactus May 31, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Southland is one of the best cop dramas I’ve seen. As a resident of Los Angeles, I appreciate that they know that Vermont is a north/south street and does not intersect with La Brea Blvd. Small item but it means a lot. I’ve seen all the episodes from the first and I will really miss it.

Arge May 27, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Totally bummed! Im a cop and most of my co-workers agree that it’s probably the closest to being realistic than any other cop show.

Mike Dykes May 13, 2013 at 9:54 am

Is it too much to ask TNT to listen to the people? Is it too much to ask another Network to pick it up? Listen to the fan base, it truly is a great show & TNT was very fortunate to have had it. Also, what a way to end it!! No resolution at all. A truly great show that deserves much better treatment.

Mike Dukes May 13, 2013 at 9:37 am

I am highly disappointed to learn that “Southland” has been cancelled. My wife & I never missed an episode. Not only was it the best “cop” show on television, it, in my opinion, was the best “cop” show of all time. When NBC dropped the ball after one season, I was thrilled to learn it had been picked up by TNT. Its cancellation is not only TNT’s loss, but the fans biggest loss too. Truly a great show, truly great acting, truly great writing, truly a big mistake for TNT, as well as a tremendous loss & disappointment for us fans of one of best shows on television. This truly sucks!!!!! Maybe another network will have the good sense to pick it up, but somehow I doubt this will happen.

cathy May 12, 2013 at 2:54 pm

It would be a great mistake to cancel one of the best shows on tv. My husband and I have watched this from the beginning and look forward to it each week. Why on earth would it be cancelled, I think there is a lot of junk on tv especially all these reality shows
they are just pathetic. DO NOT CANCEL SOUTHLAND.

Deb Green May 11, 2013 at 10:19 am

Best show on tv, maybe TNT should have promoted it more! I am so sad it is canceled!

Mike Dukes May 13, 2013 at 9:42 am

You speak the truth!

connie May 4, 2013 at 7:25 am

I love this show so much that I cut a date short just so I could get home in time to watch Southland. I hope it stays on. And wish it were on longer than just the few weeks a year that it is.

marg georgelos May 3, 2013 at 1:48 pm

My husband and I love Southland. It is exciting, realistic, heartfelt, complex, and riveting every week. Ben is not the reason we watch (although he does a decent job), but it is the ensemble of this textured cast that makes the show so interesting. PLEASE do not cancel this phenomenal show. I agree with many of the other fans writing in – it is the best cop show that has ever been on T.V.

katie April 20, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Realistic, not “reality”. Would check out new series but. Would rather watch Southland. Hope this show is brought back next season. Fans unite!!!

Carol April 19, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I have lived in L.A. This is the best cop show on TV! It’s the best cop show that has EVER been on TV!

The last show of the season deserves an EMMY! OMG!

Mike Dukes May 13, 2013 at 9:45 am

I could not agree more. It deserved Emmys, other awards, & to have re-newed.

patsy April 18, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I started late watching Southland to my regret but once I began I was hooked just could not stop watching TNT need to keep this show on so sick of the stupid reality shows this program is very realist shows all that law enforcement deals with all the crap they face daily and the risks they take for the safety of citizens in the cities PLEASE do not cancel quit showing same old rerun every week keep the new shows and OUT with the old

Rob April 18, 2013 at 1:15 pm

This is the best “COP” show since Adam 12. Nothing holds a candle to the shows realism and highs and lows of patrolling the streets of Los Angeles.

It would be an absolute mistake to cancel Southland and I pray for its return next season.