The Gates: ABC TV Show Cancelled; Stars and Writers React and Thank Fans

The GatesAs expected, ABC has cancelled The Gates after one season on the air. The ratings certainly didn’t dictate a second season and a couple weeks ago, series star Frank Grillo said that he’d heard unofficially that the show wouldn’t be back.

Though even actress Lindsay Lohan wanted to see it return, it’s now been confirmed that The Gates has indeed been cancelled. Some of the people connected with the show have tweeted about the series’ passing.

From the show’s Twitter feed comes, “We would like to thank our followers for sticking with us through this great journey.”

Gates creator Richard Hatem wrote simply, “Thanks to everyone who loved it. DVD set to be released…someday?”

Consulting producer and writer Robert Hewitt Wolfe tweeted, “Thank you to #TheGates fans, crew & cast for a great run. It was a blast. Seriously some of the best fans ever.” He later posted, “4 sale, lux devlpmnt/incrprtd town w/ upscale owners, prvt police/fire, exclnt school, occasional mysterious death”

Colton L Haynes wrote, “Was a great/fun experience and thk u all for coming along for the ride!. He followed that up with, “THE GATES cast and crew: thk u all for the good times! Learned alot and had a great summer with u all! Cheers to the future!” and posted this photo with #ripBrettCreski. Wolfe responded, “Sob… Too young!”

The GatesJames Preston looks forward to the future, tweeting, “No worries gates fans follow us on to our new exciting roles!” Travis Caldwell echoed that sentiment, saying, “its all good more to come from all of us !!!”

Justin Miles wrote, “We gave em a hell of a run, though…” Janina Gavankar feels similarly, saying, “Sad. But we’re incredibly proud of what we made.”

Young McKaley Miller tweeted, “thank you guys for all the support!! seriously, y’all are awesome!! #TheGates is officially over, but it was such a great experience!! TY :)”

Andrea Powell wrote, “Thanks for all the love, fans of #TheGates. We’ll miss you! :-*”

Rachel Dipillo wrote, “We had a fun ride on The Gates. Love everyone I worked with and can’t wait to see what you do next! #RIPLEXIEWADE”

Grillo tweeted, “Thanks to all of you for supporting us. It made the whole thing worth it. Lots more fun stuff coming.” Grillo also said that he’d share what would have happened in the second season. After son Charlie is saved, Nick and his family would have stayed in the Gates community. The Radcliffs decide to take a break from one another. Leigh becomes the head of the police and Nick takes over the Gates board and oversees the community.

What do you think? Are you sorry that The Gates won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to see happen?

Mika September 1, 2014 at 11:38 pm

How can they end like they did and not have a season 2

Solomon Clouds September 1, 2014 at 11:01 am

Are u kidding me? I am very much interested in the season two… What the hell happened that resulted in it’s cancellation?

Melanie August 28, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I’m very disappointed with ABC for cancelling The Gates tv series. As with alot of other people I too got hooked on it by watching on netflix. If they would have made more commercials about it I would have definitely scheduled to record it when it first came out. You can’t always expect the first series to go as well until you give people time to watch it more. Please reconsider canceling and try doing one more season to see how well it does then.

jaime August 19, 2014 at 9:39 am

are u kidding me I just finish watching this season One I just found out it was canceled Wtf. …

Vanessa August 11, 2014 at 2:48 am

Very upsetting that this show was cancelled. I just barely ran into this show on Netfilx and i got hooked!! Immediately after watching all of Season 1 i wanted to run to the store and find all of the seasons. Although i had to do some searching and came to find out that the show was cancelled…hit me hard. Definitely not what i wanted to hear. This show got my attention and i usually do not get into t.v shows except for Fringe but The Gates…this show had potential.

Ityu David August 4, 2014 at 4:56 am

I love #the Gates and would definitely want to watch season 2 , cos you can’t get cancel a good series for no good reason…… i want to know who will own the gates…… we all waiting..

Deatric Jackson July 27, 2014 at 11:24 pm

I really love the gates it has so many plots and twist that i love the show.. its like knowing the unknowing is real

RayRay July 22, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I just finished The Gates on Netflix and honestly, I can see why it didn’t make it. It was mildly entertaining, but the story as a whole was mediocre at best. Too much was going on at once, to the point that it came off like less than a prime-time show and more like a supernatural soap opera. A lot of the characters were a bit grating and/or poorly developed. It had potential but I think the writers overworked the plot. The thing with Nick’s son at the end came off pretty hokey. I think that if it weren’t for the show already on it’s way out, that moment probably could have been called a shark jump. The Gates was an interesting concept but overall, poorly executed.