The Paradise: Cancelled After Two Seasons

The Paradise canceled, no season threeWhile Mr. Selfridge has supposedly been renewed, BBC1 has pulled the plug on The Paradise. There won’t be a third season for the period drama.

The Paradise revolves around the people who work and shop at the first English department store. Set in 1875, castmembers have included Emun Elliott, Joanna Vanderham, Elaine Cassidy, Sarah Lancashire, Matthew McNulty, Peter Wight, David Hayman, Stephen Wight, Sonya Cassidy, Ruby Bentall, Finn Burridge, and Patrick Malahide.

Of the cancellation, a BBC spokesperson said, “We are incredibly proud to have made two successful series of period drama The Paradise for BBC1. However, in order to make room for new dramas to come through, The Paradise won’t be returning.”

The show airs on PBS here in the US and only the first season has been shown. That ended in November and there’s been no word of airing the second season yet.

What do you think? Have you seen The Paradise? Would you watch season two? Are you sorry it’s been cancelled?

Elaine October 21, 2014 at 8:17 pm

The Paradise is currently airing in the US on PBS. Cancelling a show that has made it overseas and goodness know how many other territories are playing it, yet the BBC in its esteemed wisdom (sarcasm here) to cancel the show before it’s out of the starting gate!
Unfair! Bad Business decision! The Paradise is now Paradise Lost- Why??????????

Marylou34 October 19, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Love, love, love the Paradise! There’s so much that’s great! Some of the other stuff falls flat.
Breathless — watched one part of one episode and didn’t look back. Sherlok — guess it’s a guy thing —

Paradise is excellent acting, has a certain intrigue, compelling character relationships —
It’s very genuine and has a sweetness — no sappiness – that is missing in many programs.

Annie October 18, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I look forward to each episode of The Paradise, and am so sorry to learn that it is being cancelled. I do hope BBC reconsiders this decision.

Debbie October 17, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Hello,

I LOVED “The Paradise” I am so very sad that it is not returning for a third season. Please reconsider, I love PBS and watch faithfully, I found The Paradise so enchanting and romantic.

If you can’ at least air the second season.

Sincerely,

Debbie

Ramon October 17, 2014 at 8:33 am

Was so very much hoping for a season three.

Judy Lester Judy Lester October 16, 2014 at 12:18 am

I would watch season two loved this show sorry it had to end

Chelsea Jepson October 15, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I adore The Paradise as well! Please use the link below to write a comment to BBC asking for the return on this great series :)

Thomas Mainenti October 15, 2014 at 2:16 am

The reason given by the BBC for canceling The Paradise–that time was needed “to make room for new dramas”–strikes me as disingenuous, if not altogether absurd. If their latest, Breathless, like that ridiculous and embarrassing homage to a young illiterate audience, Sherlock (which I have no doubt has caused Conan Doyle to bore his way back to Edinburgh by now), is an example of one of these “new dramas,” I dare say the BBC is whoring for a younger viewership. The medical drama, Breathless, no more looks and feels like the early 1960s than a failed Las Vegas Elvis impersonator. Hopefully it will run out of breath altogether and suffocate. Is this the kind of “new drama” for which you have pulled the plug on a superb drama like The Paradise?

Kathi October 22, 2014 at 9:23 pm

I’m so afraid that Season 2 will leave us in the middle of something and we’ll never know the solution. Is there someone somewhere to whom we can write to really get the attention we need to keep this show on? I like Downton Abbey but LOVE Paradise. It has everything needed for a good show with so very many plot possibilities.

Melody Royal October 14, 2014 at 4:09 am

It is a huge mistake to cancel “The Paradise” The actors are great, settings are lovely, good script. Wrong choice

Eileen October 13, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I love The Paradise. It’s a big mistake by BBC to cancel such a great show. I’m so disappointed!!!