The Paradise: Cancelled After Two Seasons

The Paradise canceled, no season threeWhile Mr. Selfridge has supposedly been renewed, BBC1 has pulled the plug on The Paradise. There won’t be a third season for the period drama.

The Paradise revolves around the people who work and shop at the first English department store. Set in 1875, castmembers have included Emun Elliott, Joanna Vanderham, Elaine Cassidy, Sarah Lancashire, Matthew McNulty, Peter Wight, David Hayman, Stephen Wight, Sonya Cassidy, Ruby Bentall, Finn Burridge, and Patrick Malahide.

Of the cancellation, a BBC spokesperson said, “We are incredibly proud to have made two successful series of period drama The Paradise for BBC1. However, in order to make room for new dramas to come through, The Paradise won’t be returning.”

The show airs on PBS here in the US and only the first season has been shown. That ended in November and there’s been no word of airing the second season yet.

What do you think? Have you seen The Paradise? Would you watch season two? Are you sorry it’s been cancelled?

brian September 17, 2014 at 7:33 pm

TYPICAL of networks to do away with a great
Show like the paradiee .it all comes down to money
And what they think we need . Like if tbey just
Let a show grow enough it would show them more
People lile paradise . And with the oher show Mr selfridge
Plese… take that off and put the paradise on .clean up you act

Pam lathropnorth September 17, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I love this show.

C Price September 17, 2014 at 7:37 am

I love The Paradise! The characters, the actors portraying them, notably, Emun Elliott and Joanna Vonderham are delightful. Mr. Selfridge pales in comparison. I was looking forward to the return of this show. I love BBC programming but am hesitant to become attached to a series due to the lack of continuity. Jeremy Piven does not hold a candle to Emun Elliott’s multi-faceted, elegant performance as John Moray. I am deeply disappointed.

Anonymous September 15, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I would most definitely watch another season of The Paradise! Thought it was very well done. Please bring back!!

Janet September 12, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I love the show. I didn’t like Mr. Selfridge! Paradise was delightful. Great love story. I would love to see Season 2. Please PBS make that possible here in America. I do love Downton and Call of the Midwife.

Anonymous September 10, 2014 at 10:56 pm

I am so sorry that they canceled this show! Such a shame! Please consider to continue as on Netflix, the rating is 5 and lots of people love it.

DARLENE September 8, 2014 at 6:40 pm

THIS IS TRAGIC, LOVED THE SHOW HERE IN AMERICA, WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO VIEW SEASON TWO AT LEAST. PLEASE PBS MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

De'Anna Gullotta September 8, 2014 at 3:53 pm

So saddened by the news of the cancellation .
I truly hope they reconsider and bring this wonderful show back.

Anonymous September 7, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I am shocked the decision was made not to bring back The Paradise. It was superbly written, had an excellent cast and completely outshines the other shows on PBS. This program was bumped to “make room” for other shows? Mr. Selfridge doesn’t even compare. Other than Downton Abby, this was the only other PBS show that captures such attention of many. Please bring it back.