The Paradise: Cancelled After Two Seasons

The Paradise canceled, no season threeWhile Mr. Selfridge has supposedly been renewed, BBC1 has pulled the plug on The Paradise. There won’t be a third season for the period drama.

The Paradise revolves around the people who work and shop at the first English department store. Set in 1875, castmembers have included Emun Elliott, Joanna Vanderham, Elaine Cassidy, Sarah Lancashire, Matthew McNulty, Peter Wight, David Hayman, Stephen Wight, Sonya Cassidy, Ruby Bentall, Finn Burridge, and Patrick Malahide.

Of the cancellation, a BBC spokesperson said, “We are incredibly proud to have made two successful series of period drama The Paradise for BBC1. However, in order to make room for new dramas to come through, The Paradise won’t be returning.”

The show airs on PBS here in the US and only the first season has been shown. That ended in November and there’s been no word of airing the second season yet.

What do you think? Have you seen The Paradise? Would you watch season two? Are you sorry it’s been cancelled?

468 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

What is wrong with the BBC, giving in to ITV. Can’t they stand a little competition with Mr. Selfridge!! The acting was far better in The Paradise. Mr. Selfridge didn’t press any buttons for me. Come on BBC where is your muscle?? Have you lost it!!

2. Bailey says

Please bring it back i love this show I want to know what happened to Denise and moray so please make season 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 please

3. chris says

I have also watched The Paradise twice on Netflix. I am so disappointed that there won’t be a 3rd season. I cried at the end of season 2. I’m in the USA and I also check netflix for more episodes. Please add a third season, a 4th would be nice but I won’t push it if you can do the 3rd.

4. JOYCE WUNDERLICH says

I love The Paradise and was very sad to hear it was cancelled. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!

5. Brynda says

I had heard about the cancellation of “The Paradise” and felt completely cheated! It has been a great period piece and I enjoyed every single episode of both seasons. We in the U.S. can watch both seasons on Netflix and so far I’ve watched both seasons twice, each time hoping the BBC has had a change of heart and re-newed it for a third season. How disappointed I am each time when I learn that there’s been no change…there will not be anymore Paradise for me to enjoy. I’ve tried getting interested in Mr. Selfridge, but it’s just not filling my cup of tea. Most times, I forget to watch it, so I made sure to DVR the entire season. I’m behind in catching up with the show as I’m just not that into it.
    Please reconsider and bring “The Paradise” back to it’s loyal fans.

6. Kathy says

I have been waiting for the continuing series of Paradise, frequently checking the PBS schedule. Finally, I did an online search for more information only to find that it has been cancelled. What a disappointment!! This was a wonderful program, never missing a show.

I am in agreement – PLEASE, PLEASE bring the Paradise back!

7. Grace Niemczyk says

PLEASE bring back THE PARADISE!!!! It was more intense with mysery than Mr Selfridge. It could a genre of it’s own.

8. Clarissa O'Bryant says

The Paradise has been absolutely enjoyable to watch. I was heartbroken to find that the end of season 2 was really the end of the whole show. PLEASE bring it back and at least make a season 3 to wrap things up and create a closure for the show and the audience. I love this show so much and hope that it can have one more season!!!!!