The Paradise: Cancelled After Two Seasons

The Paradise canceled, no season threeWhile Mr. Selfridge has supposedly been renewed, BBC1 has pulled the plug on The Paradise. There won’t be a third season for the period drama.

The Paradise revolves around the people who work and shop at the first English department store. Set in 1875, castmembers have included Emun Elliott, Joanna Vanderham, Elaine Cassidy, Sarah Lancashire, Matthew McNulty, Peter Wight, David Hayman, Stephen Wight, Sonya Cassidy, Ruby Bentall, Finn Burridge, and Patrick Malahide.

Of the cancellation, a BBC spokesperson said, “We are incredibly proud to have made two successful series of period drama The Paradise for BBC1. However, in order to make room for new dramas to come through, The Paradise won’t be returning.”

The show airs on PBS here in the US and only the first season has been shown. That ended in November and there’s been no word of airing the second season yet.

What do you think? Have you seen The Paradise? Would you watch season two? Are you sorry it’s been cancelled?

Audrey Richards December 17, 2014 at 12:06 pm

So sorry to see this excellently written and casted show go. I was hooked after the first episode. It’s such a refreshing alternative to the trashy mess on US network and cable television. I hope the decision makers reconsider.

MST December 17, 2014 at 12:18 am

Watching what I realize is the last episode
tonight and thought I would check to see when Season 3 would happen. Jeremy Piven is as much of a pleasure to watch as having a nosebleed. BBC are idiots! First The Hour, now this, nitwits in charge!

Dbye Knowles December 16, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Typical. Get someone interested in a very good show and cancel it for a much less interesting Mr. Selfridge. While a good show, not nearly as good as The Paradise. What are you people thinking?

Janni December 16, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I watched every episode of The Paradise and Mr. Selfridge and enjoyed them both. They had very similar story lines, but I thought Mr. Selfridge had more interesting characters. If one has to be cancelled, let it be The Paradise. Excellent portrayal by Jeremy Pivens.

Tambo December 16, 2014 at 3:55 am

I watched Season 1 on Netflix & anxiously waiting for Season 2 to be aired there too. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED when programming execs think “they” know what viewers want & pull the plug on beloved n captivating, & intriguing shows like The Paradise!

I’m VERY sad that they cancelled it. It stinks. At least they could have ended the story & gave the loyal viewers a proper send off. Cowards! Show killers!

The show helped me to escape my physical & medical problems from a very bad auto accident & magically delve into the lives of the characters in the “Paradise.” It was like medicine.

New shows & new ideas could wait! You have loyal fans very dissatisfied & angry. The least you could do was END it to OUR satisfaction! You can still bring new shows, just end the ones you’re butchering with your programming hatchet!

KMCLIFF December 14, 2014 at 9:01 am

I have enjoyed Season’s 1 and 2 on PBS and was very much looking forward to season 3. The show contained intrigue and desire, that was not done in an blatant manner, that allowed the viewer to use there own imagination.
I really hope that the network changes there mind and reinstates the program.

Sharie December 13, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Paradsie is a great show. Hope they reconsider. I’m sick of watching murder shows and investigations of murder show.

Betty Schohl December 10, 2014 at 7:59 pm

We are very sorry to hear that there will be no more of The Paradise. We really enjoyed the drama, and thought it was so well done – everything about it.

Cristal December 9, 2014 at 1:53 am

I love this show!!! So disappointed that it’s cancelled!!! I hope they maybe change their minds and bring it back for a third final season.

Cheryl December 8, 2014 at 9:37 am

Very disappointed to hear about the cancellation of The Paradise. There aren’t very many quality shows on anymore . I’ve started watching PBS and got very attached to this show. I was just trying to search for the next series and discovered there won’t be one. BOO ! I was so looking forward to seeing what would happen next.

Bohanna December 5, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Hoping that they rethink there decision. I love this show, even more than Downton Abbey! Please bring it back!

Melissa December 4, 2014 at 3:25 pm

This is far better than Mr. Selfridge. It’s my favorite of all the BBC shows, including Downton Abbey which went down hill after Matthew died. I’ve been telling everyone to watch this and now it’s gone.

Bonnie Malenfant December 3, 2014 at 10:55 am

This is truly an exceptional series. Excellent characters, exceptional acting, extremely good story line, WHY, WHY, WHY!!!!!

missmarcy21 December 3, 2014 at 3:13 am

So sad to see Paradise go. There are many other PBS series that could go instead. Always made sure to DVR it never wanting to miss a second. Please reconsider keeping it.

CJ December 3, 2014 at 1:28 am

What a disappointment! BBC should rethink their decision to cancel The Paradise!