The Paradise: Cancelled After Two Seasons

The Paradise canceled, no season threeWhile Mr. Selfridge has supposedly been renewed, BBC1 has pulled the plug on The Paradise. There won’t be a third season for the period drama.

The Paradise revolves around the people who work and shop at the first English department store. Set in 1875, castmembers have included Emun Elliott, Joanna Vanderham, Elaine Cassidy, Sarah Lancashire, Matthew McNulty, Peter Wight, David Hayman, Stephen Wight, Sonya Cassidy, Ruby Bentall, Finn Burridge, and Patrick Malahide.

Of the cancellation, a BBC spokesperson said, “We are incredibly proud to have made two successful series of period drama The Paradise for BBC1. However, in order to make room for new dramas to come through, The Paradise won’t be returning.”

The show airs on PBS here in the US and only the first season has been shown. That ended in November and there’s been no word of airing the second season yet.

What do you think? Have you seen The Paradise? Would you watch season two? Are you sorry it’s been cancelled?

Carol Adams August 26, 2014 at 4:57 pm

The BBC have made a huge mistake cancelling The Paradise. I’m so disappointed. I absolutely loved it, the best programme I have watched for a long time and far better than Mr Selfridge!

Denise Phillips August 25, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I was sad to learn that Last Tango in Halifax was over and now I find out that The Paradise has been cancelled. It’s getting harder and harder for women, not to mention women of a certain age to find anything to watch on television. It would be great if the BBC would reconsider but that doesn’t happen very often.

Karen Nelson August 25, 2014 at 10:48 pm

I just discovered the tv show, The Paradise. I LOVE IT. BBC – don’t you realize how much the entire story line works for women. You’ve really missed the mark by canceling this show. Suggest that you reconsider and bring back a real WINNER.

Karen Nelson
Pacific Media

Susan Olivera August 25, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I adore The Paradise, my daughter and me saw the first season on Netflix. I want so badly to see season 2 and I think the BBC made a big mistake on cancelling this wonderful show!!!

Adrienne August 25, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I watched the first season in one night (one Netflix) because it was so addictive! I’ve been recommending it to others and they loved it just as much. We want to throw a big party when season 2 is available in the U.S. Now they’re cancelling it? I’m devastated! If Netflix picks it up to continue the series, that would make my day. How can we make that happen?

Barb Seabold August 25, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Both my husband & myself really enjoyed the The Paradise that we watched on Netflix we thought it was the 1st season & it would be so nice to be able to see the 2nd season. It was very entertaining & well done.

Karen littler August 25, 2014 at 2:37 am

I am so surprised that NBC cancelled this show!! It is by far the best they have produced in a long time! Where can I get season 2? Please reconsider and keep us watching !!

Alisa August 24, 2014 at 1:05 am

What an amazing show, just finished watching the first season on netflix in about 10 hours! I now have to go on the hunt for season 2… it was extremely captivating and amazingly real to me, I loved the character development through out. You can tell the writers and actors really divulged themselves into the roles completely. I wish BBC had been smarter and kept it going.