Treme: HBO TV Series Renewed for Season Three

Treme renewed season threeYesterday, while many network shows were getting cancelled, the producers of HBO’s Treme were getting some good news. The cable channel has reportedly picked up the TV series for a third season.

The renewal comes as a bit of a surprise since the three episodes of second season have averaged fewer than 600,000 viewers. Still, Treme is critically acclaimed and comes from the minds of David Simon and Eric Overmyer. Simon’s The Wire was never a big ratings hit either but it ran for five seasons and many believe it’s one of the best TV shows in recent history. HBO likes that kind of programming.

Production is currently underway on the 11th and final episode of the second season of Treme. The producers got the good news from HBO yesterday and Simon says that he joked with HBO programming president Michael Lombardo and HBO entertainment president Sue Naegle before he got the good news.

Simon told them, “I just want to say I will not rest until our Sunday numbers are below a half-a-million. I’m going to put some muscle into it.” They laughed and replied, “The show is great, we’re wishing more people were watching on Sunday night, but we’re renewing you for season three.”

Production on season three of Treme is expected to begin after hurricane season is over and a spring 2012 debut is expected. An episode order wasn’t specified but there are 10 episodes in season one and 11 in season two.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Treme has been renewed? Do you watch the show?

Robert E. Rood February 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Great show! Brings back memories of growing up in NOLA when we pronounced it TREMme, not treMAY. I am looking forward to Season 3.

joyce cearley January 31, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I am thrilled to see that Treme is coming back I really like the show and I watch it all the time. I had a son live near New Orleans before Huricane Katrina and I watched Katrina on the news . So its kind of nice to watch that place come back to life.

Peggy Fishman December 27, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Love the series and am so excited it was renewed for another season. Great cast, great characters in a fabulous city. I have totally fallen in love with so many of the featured musicians and added them to my playlist. Looking forward to Jazzfest and visiting this awesome city once again for great food, music and wonderful people. Treme shows just how strong this city and its people are.

chris J.coutinho December 21, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Thrilled – Absolutely love this show!
Thank you HBO!

Patricia Frinak November 17, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I thought the John Goodman inspired series was on target and addressed many of the things New Orleans is steal, sadly, facing. I loved the music, food, and especially the culture and cannot hardly wait for the upcoming 3rd. season. Patricia in Michigan

Donnett November 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Oh how I love this show. I am so surprised at the number of people who have never heard of it. It is great and my husband and I have enjoyed every one of the series. Can’t wait for the next season to begin.

Phyllis November 1, 2011 at 7:28 am

OMG!! my son turned me on to this show and I have been watching it ever since! I even have been setting my DVR for shows that I missed. Being born in Nawlins it brings back memories. I love it when they show areas I remember since I’m not living there anymore but often visit, when I see a area I remember, I tell my grandkids, “Hey I’ve been there”!!! I have been seraching the internet to see when and if the new season was going to start. Happy to see it will be soon. Its VERY ANNOYING when you get into a series and they leave you hanging at the end of the season and while you are waiting for the show to return they cancel it!!! Extremely excited that this didn’t happen to TREME!!!!

camille jax August 26, 2011 at 10:03 am

Glad it’s getting renewed its a great show that should be promoted more.

Rusty Fox August 24, 2011 at 3:20 pm

TV does not get any better! Yeah!

Lu July 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

This is one of the best shows on TV. Sorry the season is over! Already looking forward to next year.

Simon M July 3, 2011 at 9:53 am

I love this show. Everyone should watch it.

ROD GREGORY May 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Very pleased . It is a wonderful show . It deserves a 3rd season . Many stories yet to be told .We lost THE WIRE , DEADWOOD , and BROTHERHOOD . At least TREME can carry the torch of innovation .

nancyalis May 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I discovered this show during the repeats of Season 1. I LOVE this show. The music & the acting are out of this world. This is the best show on the air since “Deadwood”. You are really missing something wonderful if you’re not watching.

Derrick Batiste May 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

I love the show, also I like the way my peolpe rep the six. I am rooted in the six,and I will always rep the six til the day I die!!! And thank u for letting world known how rock.Allso thank HBO ain’t no place like the Big Easy