Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Rose July 31, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Great Show Great actors. So many intelligent shows get cancelled…..

Chelsie Bryant July 31, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Please do not cancel this show. It is my favorite show on tv I have it recorded every Thursday. Please have a second season.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hanna Lindquist July 31, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I love this show. I hope it doesn’t get cancelled. If I can’t watch it I tape it. It’s summer, everyone tapes shows and there are so many new ones you can’t keep track anymore. I hope this show stays on. I’m getting to where I don’t even watch anything new because I will love it and then it gets cut, so what’s the point.

Anonymous July 31, 2014 at 7:21 am

Please do not cancel! Probably my favorite show I’ve been watching!!

CHRIS B July 31, 2014 at 5:40 am

Don’t CANCEL Black Box———-Please. My friend and I both have a mental illness and feel that the show helps to bring Bipolar into a new light. The show addresses something that is still left hidden in society. We feel the show will grow a larger audience with more ads that show the content being on mental illness as a whole. Expand the show’s horizons! Mental illness affects a wide range of audience!

danielle July 31, 2014 at 4:13 am

I hope they don’t cancel this show. It’s one of the few intelligent, thoughtful shows on “the big 3″. Of course, that would explain WHY it would get cancelled–it’s (no pun intended) rather cerebral.

Colleen July 31, 2014 at 12:07 am

At some point I will just have to stop watching TV as choices for quality keep getting smaller while stupidity like Storage Wars and its relatives survive. And apparently after the age of 49 our opinions no longer matter. My husband and I LOVE this show. It is obvious that the 18-49 year olds are ruining TV for the rest of us.And there is nothing we can do about it. No wonder PBS does so well with shows like Downton Abbey…if enough of us stop supporting ABC, NBC and CBS they might care about the rest of us. One more example of age discrimination. This is a quality show..so they will probably cancel it. I have no faith in how they arrive at the ratings…some shows are promoted more than others too. Will be sad to see this go. At least let us see the other episodes.

Ohenry July 30, 2014 at 11:38 pm

It’s the best show since house! Please don’t cancel!!

Josie July 30, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Please do not cancel this show! It is one of the best on the air now! It makes you think! Please continue!

patricia July 30, 2014 at 10:29 pm

“Black Box” is the best show since “Scandal!!” It would be almost “criminal” not to let it continue at least another season to give it a chance!!! The few people who saw it loved it so please don’t shelf it This show is addictive, compelling, educational, and will go on to become one of the longest running television shows in ages! . The screenwriters are fantastic in their writing of this show as is acting of the entire cast!! Please, please, please keep it alive so you will see what a “hit” you have on your hands, following in the steps of “Scandal”, only in the field of psychiatry and mental illness. It has not been off the air a whole week yet and I miss getting my “fix” from such wonderful acting and the show’s fantastic script! Kelly Reilly deserves an Emmy for her acting and the entire show and the screenwriters should get an Emmy for “Best Drama!”