Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Ray W September 17, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Alas friends of Black Box, ABC in it’s infinite wisdom cancelled the show a few weeks back. The cast are dispersed into wherever one goes after a show ends.
I guess continual comment might have effect but who knows whether those that decide ever read these posts.

michelle September 17, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Please don’t cancel Black Box.It’s real, Peopl’e live with this. My husbend is bipolar.
People with bipolar disorder aren’t mentally ill. They live with a mood disorder.Most of his life he has struggled with excepting what he lives with.The program helped me understand more clearly about whatever he gos though.we except program s on sexual abuse why cancel Black Box

Babygirlz September 17, 2014 at 1:44 am

I love the show its not a lot if new shows that I’m into but this one is a keeper for me so please bring it back for the 2nd season hopefully more people will watch the show. I do watch a lot of TV that I record because I like different programs but you guys are canceling lots of great programs that don’t get the chance to get off the ground.

shelley September 14, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Bring it back!!!! I’m 32 and love the show!!!!! It was on too late for me to stay up every week to see. Earlier time or a Friday night. Bring it back!!!!

Linda September 13, 2014 at 1:07 am

I am so bummed first of all that I missed the last 2 hour special!
And of course that the show has been cancelled even more because like so many people they could relate to this program.

Please notify me when you will rerun the last 2 hour special, please.

Ginnie September 13, 2014 at 2:17 pm

If your cable provider has on demand – the shows are available!!!!
Cannot believe they cancelled this and kept some of the other
junk shows – shows the mentality!!!!!

Eve September 11, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I love The Black Box, my co-workers & I enjoyed it so much. We learned about Bi-Polar disorder. It had romance, intrigue, drama, adventure but most of all, it had spice, flavor & real medical problems that many are facing now. Please bring it back.

Daralinn Williams September 10, 2014 at 10:37 pm

This was my favorite new show. It was exciting and informative. I couldn’t wait for the next episode. The stories were so good. The acting was wonderful. I am so upset it has been canceled. You left us hanging….If you have other episodes please show them.
I know 2 others who loved the show and we would discuss it each week. Please bring back.

frances cottone September 10, 2014 at 10:12 am

please do not cancel this show. my husband suffers from mental illness. at times it was very informational and gave me a better understanding of the mystery of the mind. please do not cancel.

Celeste September 10, 2014 at 8:42 am

Loved this show! Very disappointed that it’s canceled. Bring it back…Please!

Melissa S. September 8, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I suffer from Bi-Polar disorder now for 12yrs. There is a BAD stigma about this mentall illness. People need to see that we are not alone and do have life’s and families that love us! This show actually stepped outta BOX and gave people with mentall illness a voice. We are not scary monsters that need to be locked up. We are real living amongst the “Normal”. Mentall illness is growing rapidly and ignorant people should be informed. Please dont cancel this show, for petes sack The Maury Povich show is still on. Thank you

Ocean Dudette September 8, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I absolutely LOVE, love, love this show. They can’t, just can’t fire her and leave it at that…. :( Show the final episodes, please, please, please. Maybe, different day, different time, running opposite different programs, but this is a well-written and engaging show….. Hoping for the best… Maybe I’ll purchase several more tv’s and play the show on all of them to “up-the-count?”……. and computers, and smartphones……

renate September 8, 2014 at 4:23 am

I love this show and it should continue so that I don’t have to watch the first season over and over again. This is awesome, intelligent, exiting, and many more things, and gives a great insight into mental illnesses and their treatment. The actress, Kelly, is doing a great job, the whole team is simply great! I do hope it will continue as it makes a striking difference from the regular doctor/hospital shows.
(comment from a great fan from Germany)