Chuck: What Did You Think of the Last Episode?

Chuck series finaleAfter five seasons and narrowly escaping being cancelled several times, Chuck has come to an end. Tonight, NBC aired the final two episodes of the underdog TV series that got a true series finale — one that you’d hope that any beloved show could get.

As promised, the finale hearkened back to the early days of the series and provided more than a few references to the early episodes. Chuck was determined, in his old geeky way, to bring Sarah back to her senses. He did but she still didn’t have her memories.

A bomb that was attached to the General’s chair at the opera house would go off as soon as the musical performance (thanks to Jeffster and Morgan conducting) stopped. Given the choice to use Intersect himself to diffuse the bomb or use it to restore Sarah’s memories, Chuck of course makes the hero’s choice. He saves the day, at the cost of losing what he’d built with his true love.

For any longtime viewer, it would be tough to hold back tears as the trio disbanded, first Casey and then Sarah left Chuck standing alone.

Still, there were plenty of happy events. The Jeffster guys are offered a big record deal with a German music company. Subway (a longtime Chuck sponsor) buys out the Buy More. How fitting. Morgan moves in with Alex. Ellie and Captain Awesome move to Chicago to work at a hospital. Casey goes after Verbanski.

The series ends with Chuck finding Sarah on their beach, still confused. He tells her that he’ll always be there for her, whatever she does and wherever she goes. She responds by asking him to tell her a story. And he does, recounting the events and details of their time together over the last five years. They share a lot of laughter and tears.

Chuck then says, “Morgan, has this crazy idea… He thinks that with just one kiss, you’ll remember everything.” She asks, “One magical kiss?”

He says, “Yeah…” Sarah quickly responds, “Chuck… kiss me.” And he does, and they kiss over and over on the beach, as the camera pulls back and the scene fades to black. End of series.

What do you think? Were you satisfied by the Chuck series finale? Was there anything missing?

Canceled and renewed TV show

139 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

i loved the show but the end was terrable if the director was going to make her forget everything then at the end when they kissed she should have flashed or something and got all her memories back happyly ever after

2. Conflicted says

I loved this show when I could watch it, but often found myself missing episodes due to time conflicts. The network never did give this show a decent time slot. So, just watched it with my teenage daughter on Netflix and was stunned by the ending. My daughter cried for hours and I felt like my heart was going to break. The writers really gave you something to think about with that ending. The sad thing was this show seemed to always be about Chuck vs The Happy Ending, and I don’t think any of us really know if that happened. There were so many other episodes that would have been good “series finales”, but when they had to do it for real, it was almost like the writers did a slap in the face to the fans. They took us down memory lane in the last couple of episodes, but all that time together…all the ups and downs…all that growth, just to have to start over again? This could have been a great series to come back to over and over again, but without the “living happily ever after” finale, it’ll never happen. They (& we) deserved the happy ending that was in place before the bullet train episode.

• JCinLV says

The alternate ending found on YouTube is helpful as it stays true to the theme of “flashing” and having suppressed memories come to the surface when triggered by something connected. When you look at these two characters, it’s interesting that they were almost always battling each other in a test of wills, and yet in the one instance that Sarah gets on Chuck’s bad side the episode is labeled a fight.

It was time to end the show…a lot of sparks and fresh ideas seemed to have eroded away. Even the bad guys weren’t original and the supporting cast seemed to be desperately looking for ways to remain relevant. The only way this could have gone on was to take the central figures and relocate them with a new supporting cast. Chuck needed a re-vamped cover to fit his more matured personality and Sarah needed an exit from being a full-time spy for things to remain “unpredictable”, and the writers wouldn’t do that, so the story got stale and had to be concluded. Thanks Chuck for a great ride. I’ll miss the fun, adventure, and passion you all brought to our lives. It was a thrilling adventure mixed in with a fantastic love story.

3. Jenny says

I Started this program with my fiancĂ© at the time this show came out in 2007- we would watch it together every week…but didn’t get to finish this series until today-years later-thank goodness for netflix….this show ment a lot to me with memories of my own….adapting to the characters and the taste of music behind the series was incredible ….so when I finished the last episode today….I cried for all the wonderful memories this show brought…. I was a little broken hearted the way they decided to end it…..I guess mad that all those years chuck didn’t get Sara’s unconditional love….but it still was a nice ending to a possibility for a 6 season which we know that never happened…..the kiss was a nice touch to know that Sara will remember in time……the actors did a wonderful job in bringing this “family” to life for us and I hope one day they will return to us….

4. BT says

I was certainly not satisfied, however, hopeful that Sarah WILL remember “Her Chuck”. Because he never ever gives up on her. It is tough for a man to give all emotions but Chuck has been crazy about her from the very beginning. They actually should be considering a mini-series format to complete the series. I have already written storylines starting from the kiss if only I get in tough with the executive producers & creators to finish this love story, that is not only heartwarming but believeable. If anyone can help me get it to the powers that be please please please contact me.

5. says

i think they should air chuck again please this makes me sad i wanna find out what happends does chuck and sarah have kids get the house what happends to jeffster the buy more,morgan and alex casey please make anouther come back episode im sure it would make the fans of this show really happy

6. JustLoveChuck says

I discovered Chuck on Netflix and I simply just love this TV series. Why did it have to get only 5 years and why did NBC not promote this show more then they did, it is simply ‘awesome’, :(,