Crossing Lines: A Second Season or Cancelled on NBC?

Crossing Lines canceled or renewed for season two?Last night, NBC aired the finale of Crossing Lines. The season ended on a cliffhanger that has viewers itching for season two. Will the show be renewed, or will it be cancelled instead?

Crossing Lines follows a former NYPD officer who’s become addicted to morphine and ends up working as a trash collector for a carnival in the Netherlands. The International Criminal Court recognizes his worth and recruits him to help investigate crimes that cross international borders.

The show stars William Fichtner, Marc Lavoine, Gabriella Pession, Tom Wlaschiha, Moon Dailly, Richard Flood, and Donald Sutherland.

The police procedural series debuted June 23rd to a disappointing 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.38 million viewers. The first hour ranked a distant third in its timeslot, easily beaten by a rerun of FOX’s Family Guy and the debut of Whodunnit? on ABC.

Though viewership is lower in the summer months, the peaock network could not be happy with these numbers. The later weeks saw them get even worse. Over the course of the season, Crossing Lines has fallen as low as a 0.5 demo rating and 2.51 million viewers.

If NBC were producing the Crossing Lines, there’d be no way that they would make a second season. There’s just not enough ad money to pay for the production.

Thankfully for fans, NBC doesn’t produce the show. Crossing Lines was jointly commissioned by TF1 in France and by Sony for their AXN channels.

NBC merely licenses the series so it costs them much less. Based on the ratings, it’s still extremely unlikely that the peacock network will air a second season.

However, there’s hope that another season will be produced by Sony and TF1. If that happens, another US channel could pick it up or, at the very least, episodes could be released on DVD. We’ll post any updates as they become available.

But, what do you think? Would you like to see a second season of Crossing Lines or should it be cancelled instead? Why didn’t more people watch? If NBC doesn’t want season two, which channel would be a better fit?

Deborah Keith January 14, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Season 2, definitely! It had an intelligent quality – some actual substance to it and I enjoyed seeing something outside of this country for once. If it comes back on another channell – hey what about the USA or A & E?

Louise January 8, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Made myself sit up late to watch because loved it so much (get up really early for work). It was dynamite. Figures. The quality ones go away too soon. Yes, do whatever it takes. Want it back!!!!

intrigue January 5, 2014 at 11:00 pm

I think it was the best show on T.V., so I guess I wasn’t suprised to learn that is was made in Europe. Why are they so much better at shows than the U.S.? Oh well, I just want to see more…and more……and more

Lundy January 2, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I really enjoyed the show. And hope someone in the US picks up the 2nd season.

Outgoing December 30, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Would love to see the show return!

anita roman December 23, 2013 at 12:08 pm

NBC has crappy ratings anyway. A show woould do better moving to another network like CBS that has great programming and casting. NBC has never cared to leave its viewers hanging when they cancel a series….What happened to Sean saves the world? There is no other comedian better than him and they cancelled it without notice! That is unforgivable. I dislike NBC since it paired with the french Universal and sent many assets they had going for them to their doom. Anyway, hope Crossing Lines doesn’t disappear like a science fiction series I was very loyal to did some two years ago. They just discontinued it in the middle of the plot. I still resent that and would like to know how it was to end. What is wrong? Are the writers being difficult again? Oh well,. nbc is what NBC is.

Dawn January 5, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I totally agree with everything you had to say.I love Swan Saves the World and also I would like to see Crossing Lines return.

anita roman December 23, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I wait every thursday for AXN to air Crossing Lines. It’s a show that has everyone in my family on edge and can’t wait for the next episode. When does AXN expect to start the second season series? Can’t wait!

Shirley December 17, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Great show! Would love to see it continued.

K. Kazalonis December 5, 2013 at 3:57 pm

One of the best shows on TV. It needs to be retained. It shows that the EEU has more problems than we think they do and how they have to be handled. Kind of like the US, don’t you think. Keep this show on TV!!!

Lee November 24, 2013 at 1:28 am

Really terrific show. Would love to see it renewed.

Gina November 23, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I am so sick of great shows being cancelled and the drivel being kept! This show kept me on the edge of my seat. I know the first episode got me hooked and I couldn’t wait for it to be on again.

Cynthia M. Spearman November 14, 2013 at 1:56 am

I do not think “Crossing Lines” should be cancelled. It is an amazing,interesting show filled w/talented actors.

apelila November 2, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I liked this show too. Good drama. NBC has nothing. They should invest in some good stories like this one. NBC used to be the best (years back) now they show reruns of cancelled trash like Private Practice during prime time. What a joke.
CBS is now rockin with Good Wife and Person Of Interest.

Disgruntled Viewer October 15, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I still have all the episodes of Crossing Lines on my TiVo, unwatched. I don’t know if it’s worth watching or not. It seems like NBC has given up on having any decent shows. I watch Revolution because for some reason my daughter likes it. The plot is pretty lame, the acting laughable at times and the characters seem galactically stupid. I like Michael J. Fox. We get it, he has Parkinsons. The joke is wearing thin. I give it until Christmas. Fortunately NBC is repeating it on Friday night because the TiVo is booked on Thursday. Can’t stand Jay Leno so I stopped watching The Tonight Show regularly when Carson retired. Fallon wears thin to the point of being annoying, so I don’t see me watching any time soon. I know I digress. NBC = Nothing But Crap. Just go ahead and cancel Crossing Lines and I’ll just delete all the episodes unwatched saving me time to waste on something else.

Argent October 13, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Is there any cancelled show that you people wont beg to “bring back” and claim its “the greatest show ever, how could they”? You are the reason these crappy shows are on in the first place. King & Maxwell? What utter rot. Crossing Lines, Zero Hour, The Killing, The Firm, Red Widow, Golden Boy, Prime Suspect (the American version)- these shows were poorly written, directed, performed. They needed to go, and they did. Instead of begging for them to come back, encourage the cast/producers to see what they did wrong, learn from it, and move on.

Anonymous December 26, 2013 at 11:28 pm

argent, respect other peoples’ opinions, why don’t you. You are definitely no expert in casting nor acting or you would not be comparing Crossing Lines with other NBC failures. First watch the series…..then comment.

Argent December 29, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Anonymous, I did indeed watch the series and hoped for the best. But it was not to be. They weren’t able to carry off the premise and the writing was lacking. Thing is, no matter how much one may “love” this actor or that actor, a weak show is a weak show (NBC’s pitiful Dracula, AMC’s muddled Low Winter Sun are just examples) and people just weren’t watching it. I wish there were more of these cancellations, to make room for truly decent content. I may not be an “expert” but neither are you. Crossing Lines was crossed off, and deservedly so. The cast can now go on to pursue better projects, suited for their talent. Thank you.