Enlightened: Season Two for Laura Dern Series

Enlightened season twoDespite low, low ratings, Enlightened has been renewed for a second season by HBO. It seems that those two Golden Globe nominations came at a really good time.

Co-created by Laura Dern and Mike White, Enlightened revolves around Amy Jellicoe (Dern) — a self-destructive executive who has a very public breakdown. After attending a rehab program in Hawaii, she finds that her friends and family aren’t ready to accept her new self. The TV series also stars White, Diane Ladd, Luke Wilson, Sarah Burns, Amy Hill, and Timm Sharp.

The show debuted on October 10th with a 0.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 210,000 total viewers. Bored to Death, whose third season also kicked off on that night, attracted 30,000 more viewers. It was hardly a positive start for Dern and company. Subsequent episodes attracted even fewer viewers and hit a low mid-season with just 90,000. After that, the numbers improved and the finale outperformed the debut with 263,000 viewers.

HBO has now cancelled three higher-rated shows (Hung, How to Make It in America, and Bored to Death) but has chosen to renew Enlightened for a second season of 10 episodes. The cable channel likely wants to see if the audience will grow if given more time, especially in light of the added publicity from two Golden Globe nominations. Since most viewers aren’t aware of ratings data, HBO often seems to make decisions based on what will help build their brand and image.

White reacted to the renewal by saying, “I know HBO has had to make some hard decisions. I feel very lucky that they are letting us make more Enlightened. We will do our best to make something cool.”

What do you think? Do you watch Enlightened? Should it have been renewed or cancelled? Was one of the other HBO shows more deserving of a renewal?

Sandra Lee February 17, 2014 at 8:58 am

Love! Love! Love this show! So glad it has been renewed and not cancelled. Bravo HBO!

Kim June 12, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Love this show! Great writing and complex character development! Very entertaining!!

Laura March 5, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I love this show. I hope it continues because I can’t wait to see what is in store for Amy.

Randi January 14, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I love this show! The characters are amazing! The acting is outstanding. And, I love, love, love the music! I hope there are many more seasons of Enlightened!

Kelly December 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Absolutely addicted to this show. Too bad I never knew about it!! Thankful it’s coming back for another season.

carolyn March 17, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Loved the first series! Laura Dern plays the character of Amy brilliantly. It is a sensitive, sad, very funny, well made series. I can’t wait for series two. My two daughters and husband have also watched the first series and really enjoyed it too.
Carolyn

LouLou March 5, 2012 at 9:01 am

I just love enlightened…. I can relate so much to her caracter. I can’t wait to see the second season. By the way WHEN is it coming out??? Laura Dern is an extraordianary actress.

Lisa Reinhardt February 22, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Love Enlightenment! I was strongly addicted to this show and couldn’t wait for the next episode to air! Thanks so much (I am so happy!) for bringing Amy back (love Laura Dern, she is an AMAZING actress!) for another 10 episodes. Hopefully more people will catch on to what a great “enlightening” show this is!

Paula February 9, 2012 at 6:31 pm

If people are not watching this show, it’s because they don’t know about it. I had no idea how good it was myself until I was looking for something to watch one night. Great show! I hope more people catch on!

Jason January 17, 2012 at 5:59 am

Loved the show. HBO made the right decision to renew for another year. Especially liked the acting of Sarah Burns. Keep an eye out for her in the future.

Rick January 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Just recently watched the series on demand and jumped on here to find out when the second season comes out. My girlfriend and I loved Enlightened! Its unique and thought provoking and the acting is great! Hopefully many more seasons to come!
Thanks HBO!

Debbie Jo January 8, 2012 at 12:59 am

Just watched the whole season of “Enlightened” on “On Demand”. Wow, what a powerful show, a very deep psychological study. I can’t wait to see the 2nd season. I don’t remember seeing any marketing on this show, I came to it through a talk radio host. This show needs some strong marketing because it’s an intelligent show, no stupid comedy, nothing salacious, so it might just fly right over the heads of most viewers.

lilvin January 4, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Enlightened is fantastic! Great they renewed it…. It’s true, bingeing several episodes helps…. Keep them coming!