Scoundrels: Off the Schedule; Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

ScoundrelsFans of ABC’s summer drama, Scoundrels, may have noticed that the series isn’t on the schedule any longer. Has the show been cancelled?

Scoundrels revolves around the West family, a clan that’s had many run-ins with the law. Dad (David James Elliott) has been sent to prison and his wife (Virginia Madsen) is determined that she and their kids not follow him. The TV show’s cast also includes Leven Rambin, Vanessa Marano, Carlos Bernard, and Patrick Flueger (in a dual role).

The series debuted on June 20th to a disappointing 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.23 million viewers. In week two, viewership dropped to a 1.0 in the demo and 3.66 million viewers. The numbers got even worse in subsequent weeks. It hit a demo low 0.6 and, the finale attracted the fewest number of total viewers, just 2.73 million. Those are some terrible numbers for a major network, even for the summer months.

TV show supportOnly eight episodes of Scoundrels were produced and, to ABC’s credit, they aired them all — despite the low ratings. Unfortunately, the network has little reason to want any more. So, no, ABC has not officially cancelled Scoundrels but, it is highly unlikely that they’ll order a second season.

What do you think? Why do you think Scoundrels didn’t fare better? Is it a better show than the ratings reflect?

Brittany Lee January 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Please bring back scoundrels!!! We need this show back!!!

Monica January 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I loved Scoundrels and I have several friends who feel the same way. I do hope that the network brings it back

Emma January 16, 2011 at 1:53 am

This is a crap show, I’m from new zealand and was addicted to outrageous fortune. This is a crappy, cheesy, clean cut, americanized version of an epic show. Thank god abc cancelled it

Lisa January 14, 2011 at 8:23 am

Loved the show, loved the mom, The Dad, the kids, the cops, and grandpa. I only found the show because my TV was broken during the summer so I was watching TV online. The show was HIGHLY advertised on the ABC website. When I got my TV back – unfortunately didn’t see that much about it.

Please bring it back

Lisa January 10, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I loved the show, bring it back. It ran against some really good shows. Even my mother enjoyed it too.

chris January 8, 2011 at 9:27 pm

try watching the original called outragious fortune it ran for 7 series out of new zealand

chris January 8, 2011 at 9:20 pm

try watching the original its called outragious fortunes i think it ran for 6 seasons its from new zealand

Lynn C. January 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm

We loved the series.
Would love to see it back. We are so tired of so called “Situation comedies” with canned laughter. Scoundrels was entertaining and a nice change from the abundance of “junk” that passes for entertainment.

nanettejw January 8, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I liked the show – but, think it lost it’s viewership because they didn’t feature enough of David James Elliot. It was mostly about his wife (?) and her attempts to live a “normal” life with normal wages. This is a conflict with the title of the show… I think, if they had had more scripts with the family in action it might have been more interesting. Kind of a reverse program from all the Law & Legal programs. A show from the criminal’s prospective.

I do hope David James Elliot comes back to a TV series again soon. I think he’s the SEXIEST MAN to grace the airwaves… So, what do you say ABC – need me to come help you rewrite this show? You ended with the hubby getting out of jail – the wife kissing the cop – now, it’s time for the hubby to do his magic, win his wife’s affection back and show the cop who’s the boss! White collar crime… would be another interesting show. We see crime from the good-guys prospective all the time – what about a show where the criminal is loveable, no one gets hurt, a few laughs, and the cops come off like they did in the old blk/wht Charlie Chan flicks…

alice January 7, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I loved the show Scoundrels and I think it was the time slot that killed it

Michelle Joseph January 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I LOVED IT!!!! I jsut absolutely LOVED ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
PLS bring it back… If you want higher ratings then ADVERTISE for it!!!

Jessica January 3, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I really liked this show! I don’t like the way networks put on shows and then you get attached to them and they rip them away! They should so bring it back! It was a really good show!

Sheree Ouellette January 2, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I was a faithful watcher from day 1!!!! i also watched the gates wich premiered before or after.=) Bring it back =) PLZ

tamara tillman December 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I love this show bring it back

LeeAnne December 21, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I really enjoyed the show and wish they would quit putting on shows that I enjoy and then throwing them away. Unfortunately they keep putting these new shows on at a late hour and no one sees them. Scoundrels was awesome and given a chance; well who knows what the ratings would have been.

Terry December 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I never heard of this show before today! If I hadn’t been looking up David James Elliot, i wouldn’t have known it existed. Were there no ads for this show? Or was it only shown in other parts of the country?? My hubby and I would have watched with D J Elliott!! Really sorry I missed it.