The Crazy Ones: Cancelled by CBS, No Season Two

Crazy Ones TV show canceled by CBSMork & Mindy was a smash hit back in the day but the same can’t be said for Robin William’s newest sitcom, The Crazy Ones. CBS has cancelled the show after one season of 22 episodes.

The Crazy Ones follows an unorthodox ad agency executive (Williams) and his partner and daughter (Sarah Michelle Gellar). The rest of the cast includes James Wolk, Hamish Linklater, and Amanda Setton.

Word is that the show was expensive to produce and the ratings just didn’t justify a second season. It was the weakest-performing comedy on the network’s Thursday night schedule for much of the year, averaging a 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.32 million viewers.

The season (now series) finale aired on April 17th.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that The Crazy Ones has been cancelled? Do you think it should have been renewed for a second season?

Jeannette May 28, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Why, why, why?!? Why would CBS cancel this brilliantly hilarious show? Is there a chance of CBS reconsidering?

WestSeaDoc May 30, 2014 at 12:32 am

They canceled it because, with all of the competition, networks have a quick hook for a new show rather than let it gain an audience. This show was taking time to get its “see legs (sic)” and it wasn’t accelerating its viewership but decelerating. This is why we get everything looking the same or seeing the same tired themes on network TV and all innovative writing and shows go to cable where a paltry audience for network TV is great for Cable; cable then gains a following season by season (e.g. Game of Thrown, Dexter, etc.). TV Execs live and die by the Nielsens as it affects ad prices, etc. so what doesn’t work fast, usually dies as quickly.

JagMag May 17, 2014 at 9:57 am

What??!! This was an amazing show. Hopefully another network has the brains to pick it up. I guess this is what happens when you have too much to pick from.

steve May 16, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I loved this show. Thought is was renewed…. Just found out it has been canceled..The whole cast was great…. Sad to see it go……

Meri May 14, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I am so surprised that CBS has decided to cancel The Crazy Ones. This made me laugh out loud. I looked forward to watching this show every Thursday because there was finally something humorous to watch on Thursdays evenings. It seems all the networks have the same shows no diversity. I agree keeping the Millers over the Crazy ones is just crazy! I’m bummed :(

sheila May 12, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I love Robin Williams maybe he can do a sitcom with Pam Dawber, just a thought.

Baylady May 12, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Well this is a shocker! I can’t believe it…Robin Williams was hilarious and this was the perfect role for him. Sad to see it’s not coming back.

mike May 12, 2014 at 10:47 am

Not sure why you cancel a show that in its first season avgd 8.2 M viewers. I believe that is good for a fist year show. That is right where big bang theory was in its first year.
It is good clean fun, wish they would show more of the bloopers at the end!

WestSeaDpc May 12, 2014 at 2:00 am

Typical Network TV. This is a good show that is taking time to find its legs. It would be wise to keep it as a “summer replacement” for next year and rework some of it’s weak points. I can’t believe The Miller survived and this one didn’t. Says a little about the plebian tastes of the American viewing public. GoT started with 600,000 viewers and now, in Season 4, they are over 13,000,000 and the leading show watched by the desired demographic for its time slot across all networks.

Ian May 11, 2014 at 5:56 pm

It took a while to find its creative footing. For an expensive series that’s dangerous ground.

Persistent Cat May 11, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I would think the network saw it as impossible to garner new viewers and I would put that blame on Robin Williams. I love SMG and the brother from The New Adventures of Old Christine but I’d rather shoot myself in the head than watch Robin Williams. You either like him or you don’t and if you don’t, you’re definitely not watching him. Take him out, maybe I would’ve watched it. Take him out, maybe I would’ve watched it in reruns (if it made it that long) the way I will with How I Met Your Mother. I don’t really like that show but I don’t turn the channel when it comes on.

That’s just me. I hated the commercials for this show because of Robin Williams.

Michael Milton May 11, 2014 at 4:40 am

I will definitely miss this show. I really liked the chemistry with all of the cast. CBS has to ask itself how does a show with 15 million viewers for its first episode dwindle down past 6 million. CBS did not publicly back this comedy enough . What will you do when your Golden boy comedy Big Band Theory leaves? CBS has to get behind new shows and develop better marketing ideas to make sure new shows continue to perform well..

Kat May 10, 2014 at 11:29 pm

My favorite new comedy. Crushed, if not terribly surprised.

wendymaddy May 10, 2014 at 6:37 pm

i really like the crazy ones and feel it wasn’t publicized enough, with enough talk show apearances and appearances on the morning talk shows by robin williams and the rest of the cast. if it is not renewed, hope he appears on kirstie’s show in an interesting and quixotic recurring role.

nancy johnson May 10, 2014 at 6:27 pm

CBS has destroyed so many new and old shows. From soaps Y&R I have stopped watching. CBS JUST DOESN’T HAVEN’T ANYMORE!! In the time the way the world is I needed ROBIN WILLIAMS HUMOR!!! NOT MUST ELSE TO WATCH TV SUCKS THE MUSIC NOW SUCKS. ALL I DO NOW IS LOOK TO THE PAST FOR ENTERTAINMENT!!!!

Chuck May 10, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Ugh…this was one great show…it’s going to be missed. Robin Williams and the supporting cast are hilarious! Why do the Networks keep canceling the good shows? I don’t want to watch revenge or vampire shows…where are the good comedies that you can watch to come down after a long work day?