The Finder: Cancelled; No Season Two

season two of The Finder canceledBones has been a quiet hit for FOX but the same can’t be said for its spin-off, The Finder. FOX has now cancelled the low-rated series after one season.

The Finder is a procedural series that revolves around a man (Geoff Stults) with the extraordinary ability to help people find the unfindable. Other castmembers include Maddie Hasson, Mercedes Masohn, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

The spin-off debuted on January 12th to a disappointing 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.50 million total viewers. It was fourth in its Thursday night timeslot right out of the gate and lost nearly 30% of the all-important demo from its compatible lead-in, Bones. This was not a good start.

Should The Finder have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Things picked up a bit in the following weeks, thanks in large part to the show having FOX’s blockbuster American Idol as a lead-in. Still, the numbers weren’t as high as they should have been.

After seven weeks on the air, FOX put Finder on hiatus and then moved it to Friday nights, giving its Thursday timeslot to Touch. If The Finder could maintain a healthy percentage of its viewers after the switch, it would likely garner a renewal.

But that didn’t happen and Finder’s numbers dropped like a rock. In its first Friday airing, the freshman series attracted a 1.1 demo rating — an episode-to-episode loss of 53% — with just 4.03 million viewers. The numbers for future episodes fluctuated a bit but didn’t really get any more encouraging. The network could do just as well or better by running cheaper reality programming.

The season finale of The Finder is set to air this Friday night and there won’t be any episodes after that. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall early enough and won’t leave viewers hanging with any major unresolved storylines.

What do you think? What went wrong with this show? Why do you think The Finder failed to attract a bigger audience? Was cancelling the series the right decision? How would you have fixed it?

LC July 25, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Discovered the show on Netflix and was intrigued. Was just getting into the character development. Fox should give it another chance.

Rysha July 17, 2014 at 9:35 am

This is not fair!
They should give The Finder more time to pull the ratings up!
This was my favorite show of all times.
Everyone I know just loves the show as much as I do.
Please bring it back for at least 1 or 2 more seasons.
It would mean the world to everyone.
Especially me!

Srg43046 July 16, 2014 at 7:33 am

I personally am about done with Fox! Everytime they come out with a new show they cancel it prematurely! Don’t we deserve at least a 1 or 2 hr episode to find out what happens for this show or any of the other awesome shows that they canceled!!! They might not get the ratings they want but look at the over all sales, downloads, and reviews. This show like others are well watched, and liked and all of us are very disappointed in Fox!

Richard July 13, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Hell no it wasn’t right to cancel the show because its was a good she
and it kept you on your feet and it was funny no shows are like that anymore
just drama and action. The same thing in all shows but the finder wasn’t like that it was different and it was good

this sucks July 12, 2014 at 10:21 pm

I think this sucks because I want to find out what happens stupid fox.

Joy July 6, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Didnt hear of The Finder until it popped up on Netflix “popular” list in June 2014. Did Fox put any effort into advertising it? I didnt see any. The show is corny at times but i’m enjoying it. Definitely beats the heck out of the reality TV Garbage.

Reggie July 9, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Have you seen the TV series “Bones”? It is a great series, and there were a couple episodes featuring The Finder. I also did not know about the series until it aired on Netflix and am terribly disappointed that it is only one season long. It is hilarious and the characters are dynamic. I really hope they revisit the series and tries to bring it back.

Terry McNulty June 30, 2014 at 3:08 am

Well, I only found ‘The Finder’ on Netflix, but I love it, have watched it through three times, and wish I knew what was going to happen to all
the people in it (what a place to end the thing, you know?)l

desiree June 29, 2014 at 11:40 pm

It was great show and shouldn’t have been canceled. I thought it was like great ones of the part like Simon and Simon. They should listen to the viewers and stop putting the reality crap on, which isn’t reality at all.

ofelia dillehay June 29, 2014 at 7:40 pm

I just find the show and watched several episodes, I loved it, why don’t they give shows a chance for audiences to find them? it sucks!

kevin June 24, 2014 at 8:07 am

old thread but netflix is bring back old memories of shows that i like being canceled, but whats worse is they are canceled amid cliff hangers.

how about a little courtesy to viewers? Was the show profitable? Was it canceled because you making 500k vs 2 million dollars off it? Fox was the “King of Cancellation”, loved titus, cancelled; family guy, cancelled then brought back. Theres an episode of FG where peter lists off all the fox cancelled shows, some i remembered; others must have been regional or just unadvertised pilots.

i don’t even watch broadcast tv anymore, and I don’t pay for cable tv. I was paying for hulu plus for years before they discontinued the desktop app then I jumped to Netflix, occasioanlly use free hulu. Otherwise I fill in the gaps for tv entertainment by other means(muwahahaha). Why support the networks when they just screw you over in the end anyhow?

kevin June 24, 2014 at 8:17 am

Breaking In…another cancelled show that I liked as much or more than family guy((yes FG is ht or miss but overrall good+). Wish they kept Breaking In else they wouldn’t have lost much of the original cast and charm when they tried to bring it back for season 2 two yearts?? later.

Chris kozlowski June 23, 2014 at 6:11 pm

You arrogant fucks that was one of the most genius and heart touching shows ever.

Teri Myers June 22, 2014 at 10:50 am

I watched the first season in a couple of days and LOVED the characters. I haven’t watched regular television in a couple of years, expense and most shows are a waste. My hope is The Finder’s is picked up and can catch shows on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. I agree with the previous comments, people are busy and do not sit down to watch television. Please bring back Finder’s for more seasons.

kevin June 24, 2014 at 8:10 am

unfortunaltey even if they did they would not have micahel clark duncan(deceased). This show is well and truly done. not a fan of character actor replacements.

The Finder Lover June 13, 2014 at 8:33 pm

OMFGGG I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS :((((((((( PLZZZZ

gracia hardcastle June 13, 2014 at 9:52 am

I just now found this show and was getting into the series, then I find that it was canceled one of the things that tv is failing to notice is that people’s time is more limited and the wave of the future is to watch a series all at once rather than watching one week at a time give a show a bit more time than one season, it sometimes takes time to get to know the artist do they jump into your life or is it a slow grow give them a chance shame on the money mongers who can not see anything evergreen.

Dorothy June 15, 2014 at 10:22 am

I so agree people have crazy schedules these days and often work nights and weekends and 10-12 hour days 3-4 days a week with kid activities in the evening. I just found this show and can still so much potential. Netflix and Hulu are how I watch TV consistently as I have to go to work so early in the morning and don’t bother to watch cable.

I can't tell June 9, 2014 at 3:16 am

I took a whole day to watch the season and love. It is sad the way they left it hanging. You don’t get to find out what happens. This is why cable company’s, dish network ect are having better ratings.