The Finder: Cancelled; No Season Two

season two of The Finder canceledBones has been a quiet hit for FOX but the same can’t be said for its spin-off, The Finder. FOX has now cancelled the low-rated series after one season.

The Finder is a procedural series that revolves around a man (Geoff Stults) with the extraordinary ability to help people find the unfindable. Other castmembers include Maddie Hasson, Mercedes Masohn, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

The spin-off debuted on January 12th to a disappointing 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.50 million total viewers. It was fourth in its Thursday night timeslot right out of the gate and lost nearly 30% of the all-important demo from its compatible lead-in, Bones. This was not a good start.

Should The Finder have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Things picked up a bit in the following weeks, thanks in large part to the show having FOX’s blockbuster American Idol as a lead-in. Still, the numbers weren’t as high as they should have been.

After seven weeks on the air, FOX put Finder on hiatus and then moved it to Friday nights, giving its Thursday timeslot to Touch. If The Finder could maintain a healthy percentage of its viewers after the switch, it would likely garner a renewal.

But that didn’t happen and Finder’s numbers dropped like a rock. In its first Friday airing, the freshman series attracted a 1.1 demo rating — an episode-to-episode loss of 53% — with just 4.03 million viewers. The numbers for future episodes fluctuated a bit but didn’t really get any more encouraging. The network could do just as well or better by running cheaper reality programming.

The season finale of The Finder is set to air this Friday night and there won’t be any episodes after that. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall early enough and won’t leave viewers hanging with any major unresolved storylines.

What do you think? What went wrong with this show? Why do you think The Finder failed to attract a bigger audience? Was cancelling the series the right decision? How would you have fixed it?

Michelle J December 19, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Love this show!

Ronald December 12, 2014 at 1:25 am

Way better show than Bones!

Yissel December 11, 2014 at 9:49 pm

This was a really good show. They should keep going it in.

marina December 9, 2014 at 8:28 am

Personally, I don’t think it was given enough time to get it’s legs. The story was fun the characters were fairly interesting US marshal sadly was less interesting than most of the side characters. She was fun to mess with that was the extent of her Hot Chick status. I think, like other series that get canceled too soon, it hadn’t found it’s audience yet. A lot of that can be blamed on the Station it was on. I avoid watching regular TV because I can’t stand all the reality TV and commercials. I wait till it hits netflix. I’d love to see the series start up again. And they really could take it in stride with the way it ended it would work to have a time gap. One of the few series I think that could get away with it.

Lin December 9, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I never watched TV until I got the Roku. (I work nights, and I hate reality shows and commercials). When you watch a season or more of a show, you notice that some start mediocre and then get better. And some start mediocre and then get worse.

I think The Finder would have gotten (even) better. It seemed that the writers were intelligent.

Maris December 7, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I Love this show but if they will not air any new ones then I think they should just work Geoff Stults into the Bones cast somehow.

marina December 9, 2014 at 8:30 am

I agree I would really love to see his character come back.