The Finder: Cancelled; No Season Two

season two of The Finder canceledBones has been a quiet hit for FOX but the same can’t be said for its spin-off, The Finder. FOX has now cancelled the low-rated series after one season.

The Finder is a procedural series that revolves around a man (Geoff Stults) with the extraordinary ability to help people find the unfindable. Other castmembers include Maddie Hasson, Mercedes Masohn, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

The spin-off debuted on January 12th to a disappointing 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.50 million total viewers. It was fourth in its Thursday night timeslot right out of the gate and lost nearly 30% of the all-important demo from its compatible lead-in, Bones. This was not a good start.

Should The Finder have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Things picked up a bit in the following weeks, thanks in large part to the show having FOX’s blockbuster American Idol as a lead-in. Still, the numbers weren’t as high as they should have been.

After seven weeks on the air, FOX put Finder on hiatus and then moved it to Friday nights, giving its Thursday timeslot to Touch. If The Finder could maintain a healthy percentage of its viewers after the switch, it would likely garner a renewal.

But that didn’t happen and Finder’s numbers dropped like a rock. In its first Friday airing, the freshman series attracted a 1.1 demo rating — an episode-to-episode loss of 53% — with just 4.03 million viewers. The numbers for future episodes fluctuated a bit but didn’t really get any more encouraging. The network could do just as well or better by running cheaper reality programming.

The season finale of The Finder is set to air this Friday night and there won’t be any episodes after that. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall early enough and won’t leave viewers hanging with any major unresolved storylines.

What do you think? What went wrong with this show? Why do you think The Finder failed to attract a bigger audience? Was cancelling the series the right decision? How would you have fixed it?

karen November 18, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I would love to see the series brought back too.

lupe November 15, 2014 at 6:51 pm

The Finder is awesome. .didn’t know about it before..poor advertisment..boo..we need to know what happens next…please!

gatorgirl November 21, 2014 at 12:15 am

I agree! I never even heard of this show until I ran across it on Netflix. VERY POOR ADVERTISING. That department should’ve been cancelled!

Michelle November 14, 2014 at 5:42 am

I watched the start of this series back when it was on tv and have to say that it lacked something and I lost interest. For whatever reason I just watched it on netflix and really enjoyed it. Could be that is was a spin off of Bones and was no where near the same intensity or style leaving Bones fans to lose interest quickly.

Anonymous November 12, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I just finished watching on Netflix as well, it was so great I came on line to find where I could find the second season and much like the above comments am totally bummed there isn’t one. I figured with the death of Michael Clarke Duncan there would be some changes to the line up, however I was willing to see where the show went in its second season. Netflix should produce the show!

David212 November 13, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I agree with Anonymous. Most series lose their initial charm with subplots and move away from the original premise. I would be willing to watch “The Finder” to see how it recovers from the death of Michael Clarke Duncan as one of the principals and the changes in the characters’ situations in the last episode.
I will watch it again and still experience the skill of the writers and the actors.

Amber Mathewson November 5, 2014 at 8:24 am

I just finished watching The Finder on Netflix and it was great. Either netflix should pick up the show or the network should bring it back. The thing is I never ever heard about this show back in 2012 which mean that the show not getting enough viewers was not because the show was bad but because the network did not advertise the show properly. Its not the shows fault, its the networks.

dejai November 4, 2014 at 11:08 pm

I didn’t know the show existed when it aired..but after binge watching it on Netflix I must admit I would go out and get a tv so I could watch it. I love the show and I do feel as if there were a lot of ends left untied

Bryan Johnson November 4, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I just finished watching “The Finder” on Netflix and I thought that it was really interesting because of its comedy and great characterization. One of my favorite things was how the show was able to have multiple story lines in one episode without being confusing. For example, Walter was able to find things while Willa dealt with “family” issues. Plus, sometimes the plot lines overlapped. I understand the loss of views, but I think a switch of nights was to blame. I want another couple seasons of “The Finder”! BRING IT BACK!!!

hernan November 1, 2014 at 9:53 pm

start a petition to bring it back

Anonymous November 9, 2014 at 8:04 am