The Goodwin Games: Cancelled? Renewed for Season Two?

goodwin games canceled or season two?Tonight marks the finale of The Goodwin Games, FOX’s most recent sitcom. Has it been a ratings success? Will it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

The Goodwin Games follows three estranged siblings — an overachieving surgeon (Scott Foley), a struggling actress (Becki Newton); and a career petty criminal (T.J. Miller). They return home for their father’s funeral and are informed that their father’s will awards them $23 million but only if they agree to compete in a series of games that end up bringing them closer as a family. The cast also includes Kat Foster, Melissa Tang, and Beau Bridges.

The sitcom was initially supposed to air last fall but FOX decided to save it for mid-season. Then, in November, the network cut Goodwin Games’ episode order (from 13 to just seven installments). They then opted to hold the premiere until late May when the regular TV season was nearly over. They clearly had little or no faith in the show.

The ratings have been poor on top of that. The sitcom debuted to just a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.6 million viewers. Over the course of the season, the show’s numbers fell as low as a 0.5 rating with just under 1.4 million. Reruns of FOX’s regular comedies typically perormed as well or better.

It looks highly unlikely that FOX will be ordering a second season of The Goodwin Games. The numbers are quite low and Foley has signed on as a series regular on the new season of Scandal on ABC. It would seem that tonight’s episode will be both the season and series finale.

But, what do you think? Do you like The Goodwin Games? Is it better than what the ratings seem to indicate? Should it be cancelled or renewed for season two?

TL AGUISANDA October 15, 2013 at 3:15 pm

What a great show, I loved the story of this show and how it kept the siblings working together and to better there lives through there dead father, it figures a show with no special effects, loud noises, gore, killings, just a great family show….couldn’t compete, I wish they just had a TV channel on regular TV that was just PG 13, I would watch it, as I do right now on Antenna TV all the old shows from the 50, 60, 70 my kind of shows, so sorry it is gone

justbecause30 October 12, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I loved this show! I’m still not sure if it’s being renewed or not, but I hope it does! It was different and refreshing and quirky :)

Jaime October 10, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I LOVED this show! What a loss… I would ask people if they had seen it and noone had heard of it… Great show, poor timing!

Chris October 6, 2013 at 11:48 pm

This show is great, I onbly hop Hulu or Netflix picks it up. I can totally believe it was cancelled Fox completely sucks at keeping even slightly intelligent and well written shows. But hey, I rekin “Dads” sho iz b gud nuff, it do have laughter n it so I no when its b’n funny!

Carolina October 4, 2013 at 3:46 pm

i am so tired of this crud. Family Guy has been on the air how many years. and there are about 12 crime/law shows on the same channel. But try and write an original, cool tv show with fabulous actors with great chemistry and abilities and possibilities and then FUCKING cancel it after a month and a half. Screw you networks, screw the fact that you give it in the middle of summer and don’t even give it a fighting chance. someone start a position.

TL AGUISANDA October 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I totally agree with you Carolina, nobody seems to want quality anymore

Natalia October 4, 2013 at 12:25 am

This show was awesome!!!
I wanted to see what happened next to the characters!
I was upset to see that hulu wasn’t giving me any new episodes to watch and I came across this article =(

Claudia October 3, 2013 at 11:27 pm

This is not the 1st well written, perfect cast chemistry, entertaining show that FOX has ever cancelled. I guess it was too instantly endearing for the FOX execs to handle, or there wasn’t enough grade school humor or inappropriate innuendo to to satisfy the powers that be at FOX. But hey, they renewed Bobs Burgers. (And here I wondered if chimpanzees wrote that one)(dumber than dirt and an insult to anyone past the age of potty humor). Too bad they forgot to advertise Goodwin Games enough to give the viewing public a chance to demand a second season.

Are you Kidding me? October 2, 2013 at 5:39 am

The show was fun! I was sad it was so short and had been waiting for the next season! I just learned that it was cancelled! Come one, bring the show back. We’re already been disappointed with so many good shows that were cut because of the writer’s strike way back when, and now shows are less than creative. they’re all copies of each other. The Goodwin Games was a glimpse of hope that there’s actually still creative writers out there. Bring it back.

Riley September 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Oh my goodness, I LOVED this show. Why does television keep cancelling all of my favorite shows? I thought this was hilarious. Originally it looked like a really cool concept, but kind of dumb. I watched the first couple of episodes and fell in love! I so want this show to have a second season.

Josse Nunez September 27, 2013 at 1:17 pm

It deserves a second season

Michelle September 23, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Absolutely love the show!!! Bring it back!!!!

Anonymous September 21, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Love the show!

Alicia September 20, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I’m SO sick of Fox and NBC. Why do they have to start new shows, get people hooked and then cancel them? I knew before I saw the first episode of Goodwin Games that it would be a goner, but I still watched – and loved – it. Seinfeld had horrible ratings for a long time, but they kept it on air, and look how much money they made.

First Animal Practice, then Ben and Kate, then Go On – I was so mad when I found out Ben and Kate and Go On wasn’t going to be renewed, Go On had such good ratings, too! – and now Goodwin Games? I think I’m just sticking to ABC Family. At least they give good shows a flipping chance.

Donna September 16, 2013 at 9:15 am

Love the show . They need to keep it

Jeff September 11, 2013 at 11:09 am

I love this show! It was a great feel good show with great actors and actresses. Give it back Fox!