The Mentalist: Season Five Ratings

Mentalist ratingsThis season, The Mentalist moved to Sunday nights. How will this affect the ratings? The last occupant, CSI: Miami, was cancelled. Will Patrick Jane and company follow?

The fifth season of The Mentalist typically airs Sunday nights on the CBS network. The cast includes Simon Baker, Robin Tunney, Amanda Righetti, and Owain Yeoman.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if The Mentalist is going to be cancelled or renewed for season six.

Episode 05-21: Sunday, 05/05/13
1.7 in the demo (+6% change) with 9.17 million (+6% change).
Season averages: 1.74 in the demo with 9.50 million.

Episode 05-20: Sunday, 04/28/13
1.6 in the demo (0% change) with 8.69 million (-5% change).
Season averages: 1.74 in the demo with 9.52 million.

Episode 05-19: Sunday, 04/21/13
1.6 in the demo (+14% change) with 9.10 million (+14% change).
Season averages: 1.75 in the demo with 9.56 million.

UPDATE: The Mentalist has been renewed for a sixth season by CBS.

Episode 05-18: Sunday, 03/24/13
1.4 in the demo (-18% change) with 8.00 million (-20% change).
Season averages: 1.76 in the demo with 9.59 million.

Episode 05-17: Sunday, 03/17/13
1.7 in the demo (0% change) with 9.98 million (-5% change).
Season averages: 1.78 in the demo with 9.68 million.

Episode 05-16: Sunday, 03/10/13
1.7 in the demo (+13% change) with 9.52 million (+3% change).
Season averages: 1.78 in the demo with 9.66 million.

Episode 05-15: Sunday, 03/03/13
1.5 in the demo (-6% change) with 9.24 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 1.79 in the demo with 9.67 million.

Episode 05-14: Sunday, 02/17/13
1.6 in the demo (-16% change) with 9.42 million (-10% change).
Season averages: 1.81 in the demo with 9.71 million.

Episode 05-13: Sunday, 01/27/13
1.9 in the demo (-10% change) with 10.50 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 9.73 million.

Episode 05-12: Sunday, 01/13/13
2.1 in the demo (0% change) with 10.60 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 9.66 million.

CBS TV show ratingsEpisode 05-11: Sunday, 01/06/13
2.1 in the demo (+31% change) with 10.85 million (+37% change).
Season averages: 1.79 in the demo with 9.58 million.

Episode 05-10: Sunday, 12/09/12
1.6 in the demo (-11% change) with 7.94 million (-22% change).
Season averages: 1.76 in the demo with 9.45 million.

Episode 05-09: Sunday, 11/25/12
1.8 in the demo (+29% change) with 10.15 million (+26% change).
Season averages: 1.78 in the demo with 10.15 million.

Episode 05-08: Sunday, 11/18/12
1.4 in the demo (-26% change) with 8.07 million (-21% change).
Season averages: 1.77 in the demo with 9.55 million.

Episode 05-07: Sunday, 11/11/12
1.9 in the demo (+6% change) with 10.15 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 9.76 million.

Episode 05-06: Sunday, 11/04/12
1.8 in the demo (0% change) with 9.11 million (-10% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 9.70 million.

Episode 05-05: Sunday, 10/28/12
1.8 in the demo (+20% change) with 10.17 million (+26% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 9.82 million.

Episode 05-04: Sunday, 10/21/12
1.5 in the demo (-29% change) with 8.10 million (-25% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 9.73 million.

Episode 05-03: Sunday, 10/14/12
2.1 in the demo (+31% change) with 10.74 million (+19% change).
Season averages: 1.93 in the demo with 10.27 million.

Episode 05-02: Sunday, 10/07/12
1.6 in the demo (-24% change) with 9.02 million (-18% change).
Season averages: 1.85 in the demo with 10.04 million.

Episode 05-01: Sunday, 09/30/12
2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 11.06 million total viewers.
Season averages: 2.10 in the demo with 11.06 million.

Compared to the fourth season premiere, this debut was down by 25% in the demo (vs a 2.8 rating) and down by 18% in viewers (vs 13.56 million).

Reference point: The 2011-12 season averaged a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 13.12 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you like The Mentalist TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a sixth season?

Syd Blake February 12, 2013 at 1:42 pm

The Mentalist is the best show on television today. It definitely needs to be renewed.

George Moliatu February 9, 2013 at 9:30 am

The Mentalist, is without a doubt, the best series that we really enjoy watchng on TV for a long time. My wife and I look forward to watching it and can’t wait for the next season to begin. There is no way CBS should cancell it. Should they deceide too, I will cancell CBS.

Barbara February 7, 2013 at 4:26 pm

The Mentalist remains to be one of the more intelligently written TV. It should have never been moved from Thursday evening to Sunday. I hope that it will be around for a couple more seasons. But I don’t have much faith in CBS after they failed to renew Better Off Ted, one of the best sitcoms ever.

Kathy Goodwin February 3, 2013 at 2:44 pm

The Mentalist is probably the best show on TV now and one of my favorite of all time! Please do NOT even consider canceling it! It would be a major mistake! More and more of my friends and family are hooked now too…give it more seasons!!

Amber February 2, 2013 at 10:50 pm

It really is a shame cos all the cast of mentalist are doing a great job. The writers really need to pick up some lessons from writers of Burn Notice or even Vampire Diaries. Mentalist seems to be stuck with Red John being the be all & end all. Surely they can create more characters, take the case of VD, season 1, Damon was the big villian,then came katherine and then klaus, as the seasons progressed. As a previous comment stated, they need to catch RJ and bring in new bigger challenges for PJ. Overall, the excitement of watching Mentalist keeps diminishing with the release of each new episode.

Having said all that I really hope they dont cancel the show, instead revamp it with more exciting & thrilling new episodes. Time to say goodbye to the old dangling carrot that is RJ (rotting john).

Michael February 1, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I have enjoyed the Mentalist tremendously, but I believe the Red John plot has gone stale. Rather than being canceled, I believe the show should end gracefully with the conclusion of the Red John plot and an epilogue to help us feel good about the futures of the characters. Bruno Heller created a good show, and I think ending in this way will satisfy the viewers and preserve the dignity of the cast and characters while also opening the possibility of new shows and characters to capture our affection.

Patricia Griffith January 29, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I love The Mentalist. The stories and the cast are so much better than Elementary that replaced The Mentalist on Thursday nights. Patrick Jane is so much better a character (and an actor) than that crazy modern Sherlock, and Lucy Liu cannot compare to Robin Tunney. And what is more aggravating is the Sherlock program is just a poor copy of the Mentalist. Same theme, with worse actors and worse story lines. Sherlock is almost plagiarism of the Mentalist. Com’on CBS, don’t let poor ratings affect renewing a good program. You put The Mentalist in a bad time slot. I have to record CBS from 10 to 11:30 to see the program the next day. Try putting Elementary in at 10 PM Sunday and see what happens to the ratings. And please don’t take The Mentalist away from us.

Tony January 31, 2013 at 9:31 am

Your So Wrong – Patricia – in a Million ways since the Air of Season 5 of The Mentalist there has been no Life no thrill hardly anymore for Me a fan of The Mentalist.

Here’s a few facts and Reasons on why I think it’ll be Cancelled – well first I wouldn’t be shocked if it did get cancellend not 1 bit because there’s nothing to show us Fans no Couple relationship between PJ and TL the characters – which has always been there since Season 1 onwards — because the creators/writers put like flirty banter talking between PJ and TL in there scenes but they don’t ever put them together as a TV Show Couple and make storylines around that so thats 1 thing i’m disappointed about.

Next Why since the Air of season 5 has there been stupid storylines such as this thing with RJ now in Season 5 in one of the Episodes it comes down to something like this TL and PJ and Talking and he’s shook Hands with RJ, I mean really it took 4 Seasons and in Season 5 they the Creators/Writers give us a dumb thing to go of a simple O You shook RJ’s Hand WOW no — not at all that <– was stupid beyond stupid.

Also the Latest Episode of The Metalist they all of a sudden made the Character ( Ray Haffner ) a memeber of Visualize Ackward or what I mean there was no need for that at all dumb way to go.

Now here's My Shout out to everything You said about ELEMENTARY IT'S Nothing like The Mentalist in any WAY SHAPE OR FORM You Dumbo so go learn about TV Shows because ELEMENTARY is Kicking The Mentalist's a** . Now just before I go I don't want The Mentalist to go I would like to see a Season 6 but better Storylines more Villians thn just RJ I mean he should be Arrested or Dead already but no Nothing so ye that my beef with your statement.

have a Nice day and learn more about TV – Elementary is Awesome its better then The Mentalist and its nothing like The Mentalist not in a Trillion ways nothing like it.

Matt February 25, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Given that the first sentence of your rambling rebuttal was “Your so wrong”, I am probably wasting my time by refuting your commentary.. especially since it’s so hard to follow, but I’ll perhaps grant the possibility that English isn’t your first language given your odd habits of unnecessary capitalization, lack of punctuation, and occasionally omitted consonants.

I won’t spend much time on your personal opinions that you present as fact, but I will say that the simple things like finding out that Jane has shaken Red John’s hand are “Oh wow” moments for some viewers such as myself. The show teases with bits and pieces of the main fare.. and while that enrages some “NOW NOW NOW, I MUST HAVE IT ALL NOW!” viewers of your ilk, I am fine with my rations.

As for your peculiar comments about Elementary, a show that I admit has not intrigued me enough to give it a chance, all I had heard about it from this point was that the ratings were so-so and that people much preferred the BBC version of Sherlock, with that Cumberbatch fellow.

Anyway, on to the refuting of your facts that the Mentalist is getting its ass kicked by Elementary. Elementary has just slightly better ratings than The Mentalist at this point in time. Elementary is doing about 10m, while the Mentalist is at about 9.5m.

The Mentalist debuted on Tuesdays with an average of 17m to the Elementary debut of 10m, and they did 15.5m in their first season on Thursday nights.

Last season, in the same time slot, the Mentalist was still pulling an average of 14.5m to Elementary’s current 10m.

So as you can see.. by no means is “Elementary kicking The Mentalist’s ass.”

Amber March 8, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Matt, I couldn’t agree with you more.

espen January 28, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I only watch the episodes written by Bruno Heller. It’s the only episodes with interesting storytelling and depth. Only one so far in season 5.

Sandy January 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm

My favorite show on t.v. And, why did they move it to Sunday night?! They better not cancel it, for I will boycott its channel, if they do.

Cameron January 22, 2013 at 2:44 am

“The Mentalist” is closest to being a favorite show that I currently and actively watch. I typically enjoy the performance of all cast members, and I always adore Simon Baker’s performance; my favorite performances are his double acting sessions: when he purposefully plays into the hands of someone to deceive and manipulate that person. It’s always brilliant to watch an actor “pretend,” or “act,” in his acting role; it’s like watching a double agent: it’s great.

I hope the series continues, and I would definitely like a conclusion for the Red John plot.

Bob January 13, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I think Red John must have killed off the good writers after the first three seasons. All the characters have become so two dimensional. These scripts insult the viewers intelligence. What happened?

Tony January 31, 2013 at 9:37 am

I totally agree its nothing like it use to be.

Matt February 25, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I don’t think the show has changed, your perception has changed. You probably don’t feel the same way about a girlfriend or wife after 5 years, you might not have the same lust for her, but do you love her less?

Perhaps you do. I however still love the Mentalist, and I’m fine with it. The day they get rid of the Red John angle is the day the show can peacefully retired.

– signed, ALL true fans of the Mentalist, not lobotomized procedural loving mouth-breathers.

Amber March 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Again, I completely agree with you.

geri January 7, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I totally agree. The Mentalist should be moved to a week night, not cancelled. Sunday night is a terrible night for any show with football’s unpredictable timing.

serenity December 26, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Great show moved to a terrible time slot this year. Still wondering why CBS did it.

snowy December 24, 2012 at 12:04 am

The Mentalist – Best series on network TV! I don’t want it to end… though I am ready to know what will ultimately happen with Red John already!

lauri December 16, 2012 at 5:49 am

The move to Sunday night historically kills a good series like The Mentalist. Add in a the indefinite show time and the recipe for termination is nearly complete. A most sad way for CBS to lead us to perdition. I have countered the CBS blow to my enjoyment of watching this show by setting my DVR to record a big block of time, say, six hours, which coincidentally has added The Good Wife on my watch list.