The Neighbors: Cancelled, No Season Three for ABC Comedy

The Neighbors TV show cancel or renew?It’s time for the aliens to go home. ABC has cancelled The Neighbors after two seasons and 44 episodes.

A family sitcom, The Neighbors follows the Weaver clan as they try to live in a beautiful gated community that’s filled with alien visitors from the planet Zabvron. The ensemble castmembers are Jami Gertz, Lenny Venito, Simon Templeman, Toks Olagundoye, Tim Jo, Clara Mamet, Ian Patrick, Isabella Cramp, and Max Charles.

After a first season of mediocre ratings, the series could have been cancelled last May. However, ABC decided to stick with it and scheduled it on Friday nights. Expectations on Fridays are lower but The Neighbors’ ratings ended up being too low for a third season renewal.

Castmate Olagundoye tweeted the news, “Tweeps, I have known since last night, but was not able to share the news until it was announced publicly. #TheNeighbirs has been cancelled”

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a third season? If you ran the network, would you have cancelled this show?

Canceled and renewed TV show

247 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. N Kelly says

Too bad another network can’t pick this program up and allow us viewers to continue watching this good family show.

2. Mae says

So sad to see this show end. It was actually creative, with comedy embedded within the situations rather than a bunch of recycled one-liners. Can’t we have one intelligent ,authentic comedy even if it doesn’t bring in the big bucks? Networks have a responsibility to provide programming for all.

• Anne says

I agree! I thought this was a well written show with very good acting, the kids were superb. Putting it on Fridays was the kiss of death they should of piggybacked it with a hit it would have caught on.

3. Sue says

How many shows does my teenage ACTUALLY ask to watch *with* us? Yea, this is one of the very few. Great cast, great writing, wonderfully funny. ABCFamily should have picked it up! This should have run at LEAST one more season!

4. Dee Crawford says

I really liked that show. It was funny and different and I was looking forward to where it would go next. I think it should have been on a different night and given another chance. The same goes for Raising Hope. It’s ratings suffered when it was moved to Friday night.

5. cindy says

“The Neighbors” is very funny and different and should not be cancelled . My son and i watch it every episode and laugh out loud. I wish they would reconsider.

6. Foveator says

I am saddened by this news. It is a quirky and funny show that just keeps on betting better. A little bit of My Favorite Martian for the 21st century, but better. The Indian wedding episode this season ranked among the best episodes of any comedy, ever. I hope the writers know what a gem they have created….. and the network, too.

I believe that the only other unforgettable episode of any comedy that played on such a terrific gag idea was the Frasier bar-mitzvah episode (Season 10, Episode 6). It was another over the top, extremely creative example of purely enjoyable programming.

It will be a shame to see this unique vehicle of comedic delivery disappearing. Perhaps adding a special guest every week would have helped. George Takei was outstanding.

7. says

Please don’t cancel my favorite show. There are too many shows about death on tv. This was a very funny well written show. Dick Butkis was hilarious. Give it a better night than friday and you will pick up more viewers.. Please give it another try.

8. C Smith says

I just heard this show is not coming back for season 3.
    Are U crazy!! This show is great and original!
    Reverse the cancellation please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. David says

I watched every episode and wondered where it would / could go next.
    Extremely funny and talented actors (especially the kids).
    Very funny and well written. What a shame for it to end.
    David in the U.K.