The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

Diane October 20, 2014 at 6:18 pm

That is too bad. I just picked up Starz for the Outlander Series, which was worth it just alone, but have since watched all the Black Sails episodes and just finished The White Queen series that were offered on demand. (although Episode 106 was missing from my cable on demand. I am slowly getting into some of the other Starz original shows and find they are really top quality. I am looking forward to the return of Black Sails and of Course like everyone else can’t wait until Outlander returns in April. After finishing the last episode of The White Queen, I can’t believe they are not continuing the story. It just kind of left us hanging there.

Emily October 19, 2014 at 4:31 am

Ughh! There needs to be a 2nd season.. it was so good and sort of left me hanging to believe that there would be a return series, as i’m sure everyone else who loved this series believed too. Please do a second season!

Tip-Babbs October 19, 2014 at 1:39 pm

People love this stuff. We want more of it…and if it is produced well enough we learn about the history. The big mistake was putting it on a PAID programming…not alot of people can even pay for all the “special” stations as Starz. If you placed this on regular programing you would do well…but people have always loved this type of stuff as the Tudors, White Queen etc. Look at “Reign” it is running hot…there is so much junk on tv why not bring some good stuff to us…Even the BBC Station has junk on it–there really is nothing on the station and it is so sad…we want more of Something rather than the junk they give us. AND that my friend is the sad part about all this. They are takeing Parenthood, Game of Thrones, Sons of An….off and so much more. WHO is watching this other stuff is beyond me and WHO votes for these shows blows me away!!!!!!!!!!!!!There is a grp. of people that LOVE the Tudors and White Queen…we want MORE shows as this…PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sydney October 15, 2014 at 3:44 pm

this is sad news…such a great story and cast. I couldn’t wait to see more- just sorry that won’t be happening.

E Gross October 13, 2014 at 8:01 pm

So disappointing…really loved this show…I guess if it’s not realty tv then it’s cancelled.

Maan Franco October 12, 2014 at 6:34 am

This is very disappointing. I was waiting for the continuation of THE WHITE QUEEN last night (11 Oct 2014, Philippines) and there was none. Unbelievable! Every Saturday for the past weeks I watch the series and suddenly they decide to end the series. It’s a very good series to follow.

Jill Escobar October 11, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I’m very disappointed. How dare they lead us into such a good series as “The White Queen” and then leave us cliffhanging.I was really looking forward to the new season.Shame on you BBC and Starz!

Cristina October 6, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I AM SOOOO SAD HOW THEY JUST PLAYS WITH US…FIRST “MERLIN” NOW “THE WHITE QUEEN”…………

centercitychic October 1, 2014 at 10:47 am

I’m very disappointed that the series was no renewed. It was a very well done series. Please, please, please give your fans a season two!!

Maryann September 29, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Very disappointed the series came to an end after only one season. It was so well done. I was really becoming interested in English royal family history.

Carrie Quirantes September 25, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I am very disappointed they did not decide to continue on with The white Princess. There is so much more to tell. The series was excellent. I was so sorry to learn that it was over.

Kelly Eernisse September 25, 2014 at 9:47 am

Unbelievable! I was very much looking forward to continue this story line to see what happened to Elizabeth of York & the first Tudor King! This is just like the Starz Network to get it’s audience hooked and then just take the series off the air all together! Boo…very unhappy customer!

Veronica September 24, 2014 at 7:30 am

I’m very disappointed that TWQ will not be returning, I was so looking forward to season two the cliff hanger (Finale) had me anticipating its return. It marvelously represented that era, costumes, film location and acting were on point. Yes, please give your TWQ fans season two!!!

DLana September 23, 2014 at 9:52 am

Please reconsider… a series about the White Princess Elizabeth and would love a series about Jacquetta…