ThunderCats: First Look at New Cartoon Network Series

IMAGELast June, it was announced that Warner Bros. was producing a new ThunderCats animated series for Cartoon Network. Based on the classic 1980s TV show, Lion-O, Tygra, and the rest are expected to roar back onto the small screen sometime this year.

Warner Bros. Animation’s Sam Register said, “In addition to being Warner Bros. Animation’s first anime series, ThunderCats marks our most ambitious foray yet into fantasy. The realism and dynamic visual style we’ve achieved are sure to thrill viewers, and the cool weapons, vehicles and technology should help the show appeal to a diverse audience.”

The storyline of the new series was explained this way: “A sweeping tale combining swords and science and boasting ferocious battles with the highest of stakes, the grand origin story of Prince Lion-O’s ascension to the throne — and of those who would thwart his destiny at any cost — takes on epic dimensions in this sharp new telling. As the forces of good and evil battle each other in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power, Lion-O and his champions learn valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode.”

Todd Casey, a writer on the new ThunderCats series tweeted the first image of some of the main characters; Lion-O, Cheetara, Tygra, and Panthro. There’s no word if other characters, like WilyKit and WilyKat, will be part of the reboot. Voice actor Matthew Mercer announced last year that he would be the new voice of Tygra.

The new ThunderCats is a collaboration between Warner Bros. Animation and Studio4C of Japan.

What do you think? Do you like the new look? Will you give it a try?

Thundercats

Canceled and renewed TV show

36 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Eric says

You people unhappy with the anime style… the ORIGINAL Thundercats was anime style. Only back then that’s what anime looked like.
    Most people only know recent anime but a good number of cartoon back then were actually anime.
    Only reason they went for anime again was actually to stay TRUE to the original.

2. Anonymous says

They look super-cool but I dont like the fact that they are giving in to the whole “remake as teens” thing that is going on. I wich theyd make them the older, wiser cats that they were.

3. JUST FRED says

this is going to awesome if you are a fan of 80s cartoons i wish they would redo some other cartoons from back then i had some great times watching all of them

4. Krill says

Thundercats
    Cats
    Panthro = panther = dark purple = check
    Tygra = Tiger = Orange = check
    Cheetara = Cheeta = yellow = check
    Lion-o = Lion = pink………………………..wtf? Sorry I must be on a different planet where those pink lions come from…….
    Anyway they have to bring back the same voices of Panthro, Lion-O and Mumrar as their voices in the orginal were wicked!

5. April says

Stop trying to turn everything into some Naruto style anime!! Don’t get me wrong, I love anime, but this looks terrible! I grew up on Thundercats and I think this is awful. I don’t like the way any of the characters look. Especially Panthro. I’m not sure what the goal was, but he looks like a monkey. I big, balding monkey.

• Uhcyswen says

No one’s forcing you to accept her opinion either, smartass. “Embrace the change”? Remember that when your appendix bursts next week.

6. TrevorW says

I am already excited just seeing this! I actually like the new look better than the original. Lion-O actually looks like a teenager rather than that full-on adult appearance that the original gave him, Tygra and Panthro look tough and ready for battle, and Cheetara looks fast and skilled (and sexy). I like the part about valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode. Today’s youth could always use more examples of each. It sounds like they have some good plans for the story.

• TrevorW says

Oops! I think they (and I) meant to say “morality” (no “T”). I don’t really think we need mortality if that means lots of death. Maybe if it meant more like teaching lessons that hurting people can lead to their death and that therefore hurting others is not a good thing.

7. gotflava1 says

As a fan of the 80’s version I hope they keep true to the story. I dont mind the anime style. Actually, I think the anime style fits well for this cartoon.