Ugly Betty: ABC Show Cancelled, No Season Five

Ugly Betty cancelledAfter four years on the air, ABC has decided to pull the plug on Ugly Betty. There won’t be a fifth season but will longtime fans get a true series finale?

Ugly Betty debuted in 2006 and follows young Betty Suarez (America Ferrera) as she navigates her way through the world of high-fashion, working at the trendy magazine Mode. Others in the cast include Eric Mabius, Tony Plana, Ana Ortiz, Becki Newton, Mark Indelicato, Michael Urie, Vanessa Williams, and Ashley Jensen.

After being a modest hit for its first two seasons, the series’ viewership dropped to an average of eight million viewers and a 2.8 rating in the 18-49 demo last year. That would usually put a series “on the bubble” but ABC gave it an early renewal. It was pretty clear that the network wanted to try to keep it going to accumulate more episodes for the syndication package.

Should Ugly Betty have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The network assigned the series to a Friday night timeslot this season, hoping that the loyal fans would follow it there. Not many did. After cancelling Eastwick, they moved Ugly Betty to a better slot, on Wednesday nights. The ratings haven’t been very good there either.

The show’s fate seemed essentially sealed by Ugly Betty’s syndication deal. While episodes of The Mentalist and NCIS: Los Angeles sold for about $2.2 million each in syndication, Ugly Betty episodes have been licensed to the TV Guide Network for “a low six figures.”

TV show supportToday, the network and production team made a joint statement, saying, “We’ve mutually come to the difficult decision to make this Ugly Betty’s final season, and are announcing now as we want to allow the show ample time to write a satisfying conclusion. We are extremely proud of this groundbreaking series, and felt it was important to give the fans a proper farewell.”

What do you think? Are you surprised that the show’s been cancelled? What would you like to see happen before Ugly Betty goes off the air?

kubrasolak August 28, 2014 at 11:31 pm

I know that it seems that there is not that many viewers to cancel the show, but I remember that Betty had a blog in the show and she really didn’t care if she had 72 readers she inspired those people who might soon inspire others.Eight million viewers seems alot to me. So even bringing it back would inspire 8 million people!!, and Ugly Betty also shows girls how they sometimes feel about them selves and this shows gives hope to those people. It might not make sense but seeing this show in 2014 and knowing it was started 2006. Well I thought.. Why didn’t I hear of this show sooner. There might be less and less viewers that might not watch anymore but who cares about that. There is a lot of people who watch the show and having to close it down because of a few people not watching would ruin it for the 8million+ viewers this show has! Possibly bringing this show back would have more viewers. Giving it a proper ending would be great! Leaving Betty and Daniel in London and everyone was expecting them to be together even me, I thought they could be the best couple. Its not how many viewers you might get, its how many you inspire that might inspire some more people and that gives you all the success in the world.

Hailey pena August 27, 2014 at 10:28 pm

That they will show us when daniel and betty goes out on that date in last episode and show when daniel kisses her and they go ou

Ashley August 20, 2014 at 11:19 am

Season 5 has to come out like why would u cut us off like tht the whole series I was looking forward to seeing Daniel and Betty date and then u just leave me hanging I fell in love with tht show it’s amazing please please let there bee aanother one please PLEASE!!!

Ashley August 20, 2014 at 11:15 am

I’m so sad I loved ugly Betty I wish they made more I want to know what happens now idk wht to do anymore ever sense I started watching tht show I felt more confedent in myself and I’m usually not and I don’t have a very good sense of style I did when I was a kid but when my mom died it got worse but my grandmas was their to help me with my hair and all that but then she died and idk wht to do but my bro was popular and he helped of cores not with the hair but then he died and I hug my dog rocky cause he’s the sweetest funniest dog u will ever meet he talked and it was sweet but the he did and I felt idk

yasmin August 16, 2014 at 11:49 am

PLEASE.. DONT DO THAT TO ME… I LOVE THIS SHOW.. AND I WANT TO SEE BETTY REACH HER GOAL.. AND I DO THINK THAT SHE AND DANIEL WILL GET MARRIED…

nena August 8, 2014 at 1:35 am

I just finished watching the series on Netflix and I got to admit, this is one of the best shows out there. I love it! There HAS to be a season 5!!!!!!!

Chris August 3, 2014 at 2:25 am

I gotta say, i love this show , it may seem that of what I read , it doesn’t have that much ratings , but no! Just no, this show is absolutely my favorite , I’ve been looking for a show to get stuck to and watch it, and I’m suprises I love this show , it’s amazing , and please make at least 2 more or one more season, I wanna see Betty get to her goal, I wanna see what happens with her family , I wanna see so much more , and I think some people and agree with that

tre August 1, 2014 at 9:16 am

I’m one of the single working moms on this world and at times me and the TV world don’t get to meet!!! So I would be one to get blamed for not helping out with your ratings !!! But I recently started to watch ugly betty on Netflix and have completed the four seasons !!!! May I ask for you too PLEASE bring it back !!! That is talent my friends!!! Seeing the work put into this I know you all can come up with so much more lets see what happens with betty ‘s new life , and Daniel becoming her assistant lol, betty going home for the holidays, betty going to mode for some inspiration on her new job etc. etc. I know more can come of this !!! I have cried, laughed, and related to some moments and it felt good to be able to have that moment be seen at my end !!! Bottom line lets get that mode spirit and lets bring ugly betty back !!! I give ugly betty

isabel July 25, 2014 at 3:45 pm

they have to make an other ugly betty me and my mom and brother and sister watch THIS TOGETHER and I mean we never watch anything together it s also really inspiring and it helps me keep thinking of what am I going to be when I’m older and I only have a few years until I leave for college and I’m the youngest ! my brother is already in college it also sounds really hard to get into a college and cost a lot I’m really scared especially if my brother is one year older than me

Kortney July 1, 2014 at 7:08 pm

So i need a season 5 to come out. I’m a mom on my down time i watch TV to relax. Ugly Betty is an amazing show. After watching a few episodes my husband who mind you is a redneck/country boy who watches only car shows or shows with violence enjoyed watching it with me at night. He even comes in from work asking so what happen on the show i know you’ve watches it with out me. With that said please think about making a season 5 i know its been 5 years but i really need this. Thanks

tina June 15, 2014 at 5:47 am

I thank the network has this thing about liking the bad and leting the good go whats up with that ? When i see the uy betty show i thank she what through the same things i did and how hared she work to get what she whats and it makes me what to do the same and i would love to see more season 5,6,7 and more and i what to know what is going to happen with betty and Daniel

Kortney July 1, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I totally get where your coming from. I need this show.. I’m a mom and this show made me get out of my simple life.