Ugly Betty: ABC Show Cancelled, No Season Five

Ugly Betty cancelledAfter four years on the air, ABC has decided to pull the plug on Ugly Betty. There won’t be a fifth season but will longtime fans get a true series finale?

Ugly Betty debuted in 2006 and follows young Betty Suarez (America Ferrera) as she navigates her way through the world of high-fashion, working at the trendy magazine Mode. Others in the cast include Eric Mabius, Tony Plana, Ana Ortiz, Becki Newton, Mark Indelicato, Michael Urie, Vanessa Williams, and Ashley Jensen.

After being a modest hit for its first two seasons, the series’ viewership dropped to an average of eight million viewers and a 2.8 rating in the 18-49 demo last year. That would usually put a series “on the bubble” but ABC gave it an early renewal. It was pretty clear that the network wanted to try to keep it going to accumulate more episodes for the syndication package.

Should Ugly Betty have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The network assigned the series to a Friday night timeslot this season, hoping that the loyal fans would follow it there. Not many did. After cancelling Eastwick, they moved Ugly Betty to a better slot, on Wednesday nights. The ratings haven’t been very good there either.

The show’s fate seemed essentially sealed by Ugly Betty’s syndication deal. While episodes of The Mentalist and NCIS: Los Angeles sold for about $2.2 million each in syndication, Ugly Betty episodes have been licensed to the TV Guide Network for “a low six figures.”

TV show supportToday, the network and production team made a joint statement, saying, “We’ve mutually come to the difficult decision to make this Ugly Betty’s final season, and are announcing now as we want to allow the show ample time to write a satisfying conclusion. We are extremely proud of this groundbreaking series, and felt it was important to give the fans a proper farewell.”

What do you think? Are you surprised that the show’s been cancelled? What would you like to see happen before Ugly Betty goes off the air?

Lucia Rivera November 21, 2014 at 3:54 am

I literally was in tears when the last episode had hit. I can’t believe he went to London and realize that he was really in love with betty please bring it back I want to know more about there relationship, about how manhattan is with heilda,Justin, & bobby, also the dad did elena come back to queens to stay with him at his house, how are the numbers adding up at mode since daniel left omg so much to ask please bring it back

Megan November 18, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Ugly Betty is the only show still today that I absolutely love. I have watched every episode of all the seasons on Netflix multiple times. The reason the ratings dropped because nobody knew what it was. Bring Ugly Betty back and give it one more shot but this time advertise more. Thank you

kristina November 17, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Please don’t give up on ugly Betty
I love her bring her back

Anonymous November 14, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I like ugly betty .. But i hate the finally to rushed .. They should bring it back

Thomas November 10, 2014 at 1:01 am

Please bring ugly betty back :( its total super show!! i love it. From Slovakia Republic

Kate November 9, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Please bring back we love Ugly Betty in the UK. Or a movie?

crystal fuller October 31, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Please bring ugly betty back

ugly betty fan October 27, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Please bring back this show I love it……I hate the way it ended!!! I wanna know more wat happened wit betty n Daniel. . Plz bring ugly betty back

Miley October 26, 2014 at 10:25 am

I literally cried because I finished all of the seasons. I love this show. I am very upset.

Uglybettyfan October 16, 2014 at 9:14 am

I love ugly betty ! It’s my favoriteee I wish it will come back on ! : /

Sarah S. October 16, 2014 at 9:10 am

Why did they cancel it anyways does anyone know why they cancel it ?
-Sarah S.

Raven dutton October 15, 2014 at 1:38 am

I’m so heart broken. Ugly better was a show I watched with my grandma who passed April 7 2014. We both loved it she only got to see the beginning of season 4 before she passed and I told her I would finish watching it. Since it was something we liked and it’s took me 6 months to do so and I just finish I would just like to know what happens after. Please bring it back:(

-Raven Dutton

Leah October 13, 2014 at 8:54 pm

PLEASE BRING IT BACK ON I LOVE THIS SHOW ! I HAVE WATCHED ALL 4 SEASONS IN 5 DAYS! I HATE THE WAY IT ENDED ! I KNEW THAT DANIEL WOULD END UP LIKING BETTY FOR ALL THE THINGS she DID FOR HIM . PLEASE!!! :(

Uglybettyfan October 16, 2014 at 9:14 am