Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

scott fannon September 27, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Bring it back
bring it back. …..BRING IT BACK. . . . . . BRING IT BACK. . . . BRING IT BACK

scott fannon September 27, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I loved this show i still watch it over and over again it inspired me in many ways? ……I THINK THEY SHOULD BRING IT BACK. …BRING IT BACK. …..BRING IT BACK. …

Rachelle September 23, 2014 at 11:10 am

Please bring back the show? Weeds was one of my favorite shows.. I watched episode after episode!

Nick August 29, 2014 at 1:55 am

Bring the show back! I started watching it last week and already watched all 8 seasons. Love it

sheila August 5, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Please bring back the show i just love it oh n please bring back esteban sone how lol he’s too hot to have been killed

Amy Swaney August 3, 2014 at 4:33 am

I hated that they canceled Weeds it was one of the Best shows on tv, bring it back !!!!!!

andreaw June 16, 2014 at 3:59 am

We know they all have to end eventually but dang-don’t leave it hanging like that! throwing us seven years down the road was not a cool way to end the show. when you still have questions then you didn’t end it, you kept us hoping for more! so bring it! please :) i love this show

Rene June 8, 2014 at 8:48 am

Please let me and my friends come up with ideas if that’s what’s wrong this is like an escape from our ordinary lives its like a soap opera u just can’t get enough my son got me addicted to it before he passed away and I’ve been waiting for it to come back on I figured y’all had plenty of time to come up with more ideas so I goggled it and found this what a heart breaker if show time can’t handle it hbo please pick it up I will help u with ideas I’m bipolar cant keep job because I clash with a lot of people so I like to fantasize I’m nancy when I’m watching it what’s my next move to be biggest baddest chick in the drug world that even the biggest drug lords have respect for me a d have my back at all times I guess it’s another women thing where men don’t like to see women succeed in anything bigger than them lol please contact me let me help u get rid of your problem show time they have no clue what there doing by counciling this show thanks for listening I’m serious about helping u come up with great ideas .

Sad Crazy bipolar mom