Whitney: Cancelled by NBC, No Third Season

The peacock network has lowered the axe on another sitcom. Whitney has been cancelled after two seasons on the air.

The show was a marginal performer last season but was given a second chance anyway. The ratings didn’t get any better in season two and actually saw a significant drop — from a 1.9 in the demo to a 1.2 rating. Total viewership for the second season averaged just 2.65 million viewers.

Whitney stars Whitney Cummings (as a fictional version of herself) and Chris D’Elia as a couple who remain committed to each other but don’t want to get married. Other castmembers include Rhea Seehorn, Zoe Lister-Jones, Dan O’Brien, and Tone Bell.

The defacto series finale of Whitney aired on March 27th.

What do you think? Did you like Whitney? Are you sorry that there won’t be a third season?

jfon January 27, 2014 at 10:23 pm

This was one of the most critically reviled shows of the last 20-30 years and obviously laughably outdated. Awkward, and probably on par with what the infamously disastrous US version of “Coupling” would have been had that gotten a whole season. You people supporting it obviously don’t get enough oxygen to your brain cells, and you probably liked/would have liked U.S. Coupling too. Get some taste.

Tierra January 20, 2014 at 2:41 am

My top fav show i dont care about ratings i want my show back i dont even watch NBC at all anymore u suck please someone eals get this show on there network please!!!:( :-(

I wanna bang whitney October 14, 2013 at 3:39 am

She is hot but the show was pretty lame.

Stephanie September 16, 2013 at 7:52 pm

One more thing- my husband and I would watch it together. That NEVER happens.

Stephanie September 16, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I cannot believe it was cancelled. I actually bought both seasons on Amazon Prime. This is why I pay for specialty channels (like HBO). I am sick of liking a show and it getting cancelled. Maybe they should ask for guidance from the public before they cancel a show. I cant believe we wont see what happens with Roxanne and Mark.

AHHHHH

terri September 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm

OMG i love this show i was looking forward to season 3 why does everyone always cancel the great funny shows and keep on the crap.

Anonymous July 22, 2013 at 11:00 am

NBC cancelled two of my favorite shows this weekend…I’m out of shows to watch on NBC….

ivette July 18, 2013 at 12:13 am

OMG!!!! Can’t believe its cancelled. Its rare when I like a sitcom n for my husband to actually watch it with me Never happens. But with this show we were both hooked on it. It was hilarious. So bombed :(

Anonymous July 10, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Seriously?!?!?!?!?!!!! One if my favorite shows!!! Love the bold humor. Bring it back!

Whaattttttttttttttt the heck were they thinking???!!!!!! June 7, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I dont understand why all these shows that are duds get to go on and on and on and the one show I really thought would be on for at least as long as friends has been canceled????!!!!

youcrankypants June 5, 2013 at 12:13 am

I LOVED this show. It’s been awhile since I was hooked on a sitcom, and this one brought me back to the genre. It took my husband a bit of time to get into it, but once hooked…he was all in and had it cued up for me when I got home. I DO think this is one that grows on you, for the simple fact that there is character development. Most of todays sitcoms have pretty flat stagnant characters that rely largely on the writers to carry the load.

I would also like to add that NBC never gave this a show a real shot…did you spend more than $3 on marketing (no, that’s not a typo…I meant three dollars)? I thought not. You are wrong to drop this show, and you were wrong to not put more marketing behind it and pair it with a hit show for at least a little while to see if it could catch the coattails of another show to give it it’s initial lift.

char May 30, 2013 at 10:54 am

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!

I love that show and I was slowly getting my friends hooked.

These days with so many shows and channels, it takes a while for people to get hooked. This one was actually really funny. I haven’t come across a scripted comedy this funny since Friends. Bah. How do we get it back? NBC needs better marketing for its funny shows.

Scott grabenkort May 29, 2013 at 9:31 pm

NBC has no clue, the ONLY funny show on the network since Seinfeld and you cancel it
Morons !

Audrey August 26, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I really can’t believe it!! Whitney was so funny! That show was something to look forward to…why? Why did you people do this! Whoever is in charge of programming should be FIRED!! Maybe cable will pick it up somehow… Now there’s not one single show worth watching on NBC. (No Body Cares!!)