A Gifted Man: Will the Show Be Cancelled After Tonight?

A Gifted Man canceled?This evening marks the last episode of A Gifted Man of the season. Will the TV show be back for a second season or will it be cancelled by CBS?

A Gifted Man follows the life of Michael Holt (Patrick Wilson), a talented but selfish surgeon who begins to change his point of view after being visited by the spirit of his deceased ex-wife. The cast also includes Jennifer Ehle, Margo Martindale, Liam Aiken, Julie Benz, Pablo Schreiber, Rachelle Lefevre, Afton Williamson, Eriq La Salle, and Mike Doyle.

The show premiered in September to a disappointing 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 9.45 million total viewers. Week two saw Gifted Man drop to a 1.2 in the demo and 8.18 million. The numbers stayed at those levels for several weeks but then perked up to a 1.3 in the demo. Rather than give the series a full season order, CBS added just three installments.

Should A Gifted Man be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last month, CBS moved the show to 9pm. The time change seemed to help the first week but last Friday’s installment dropped back to the usual 1.3 demo rating. Undercover Boss, which took over the 8pm timeslot, has been doing significantly better than the drama.

The season to date has a 1.3 demo average with 8.50 million total viewers. It’s CBS’ weakest drama in both the demographic and total viewers, even when you adjust for the Friday night timeslot. To put things in perspective, Medium was cancelled with a 1.4 demo average.

TV show supportIf A Gifted Man was on NBC, the network would no doubt be considering a renewal. That’s not the case of course. CBS has the largest number of successful shows and, for whatever reason, A Gifted Man just didn’t find a big enough audience. It’s sure to be cancelled sometime between now and May.

What do you think? Are you sorry to see A Gifted Man leave the schedule? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Annabelle May 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I never knew this show existed til i watched it on Netflix! I watched this show within 3 days! Please put it back on! I’m so disappointed come to find out it got canceled. The acting was great and kept me wanting to see more.

Jennifer March 31, 2013 at 4:49 am

Sad to see it did not get renewed. I am so tired if reality shows and saddend to see that CBS did not promote such a quality show. I am going to miss watching it.

sandra March 28, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I just watched the whole season over a few days on Netflix. I had never heard of the show, and was so impressed with the acting and true-to-lifeness of the production. Yes, there was an emergency about every five seconds, some of them preposterous, but the show was nonetheless riveting and touching. I cared about all the characters, got to know them, believed in them — really good actors all. I was so sorry to learn there was only one season of such a high-quality series. I wonder if the scenes in surgery put off some viewers. Maybe, but it seemed the producers went to great pains to make them seem accurate. I hope the show gets another chance.

jory March 13, 2013 at 9:41 am

I didnt even know this show existed, until I found it on my phone.
I watched all the shows in two days. Please put it back on its great there was no
promotion, thats what happens when no one knows about a great show.

Leigh Ann February 28, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Never heard of the show til it showed up on netflix. This is a great show. Sad to see it go and wish I knew it was on sooner.

Lynn February 24, 2013 at 1:40 am

I never knew gifted man was even on T.V. It popped up on my netflix and my husband and I watched 16 shows in 5 days. I was hoping to see more. Im disappointed really liked it.

David January 30, 2013 at 2:37 pm

No one knew about it….CBS did a poor job of promotion

Doris Day-Ledesma January 25, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I loved that show, please put it back on. The acting was great, the story was great.

Tricia January 5, 2013 at 6:47 am

Poor promo = no audience. Don’t cancel the show please. I found it on Netflix and want more!