Bomb Girls

TV series Bomb GirlsNetwork: Reelz
Episodes: 20 (18 + movie) (hour)
Seasons: Two

TV show dates: September 11, 2012 – May 26, 2014
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Meg Tilly, Jodi Balfour, Charlotte Hegele, Ali Liebert, Antonio Cupo, Sebastian Pigott, Peter Outerbridge, Anastasia Phillips, Jim Codrington, and Lisa Norton.

current TV show

TV show description:
Set in 1940s Toronto, this TV series explores the lives of various women who find themselves thrust into new worlds. They work in munitions factories, building the arms that keep their overseas husbands, lovers, brothers, and sons alive and fighting.

While they’re building bombs, the women also find themselves flourishing with newfound freedom, discovering strengths they never before imagined. At the same time they’re often woefully under-equipped for the new challenges they face. Amid propaganda and sexual harassment, crossing social and cultural boundaries, these remarkable women form a unique sisterhood.

Lorna Corbett (Meg Tilly) met her husband Bob (Peter Outerbridge) at age 18 before he shipped out to the Great War, and married after their affair left her pregnant. Bob returned a broken man, shell-shocked and paralyzed, and their dream of a happy life vanished. Lorna quietly relishes her new job as it’s a chance to escape an oppressive home and is secretly jealous of the other ladies’ happiness. She’s determined not to let them make the same mistakes she did. Lorna is especially resentful Gladys and seeks to break the spirited girl, even though she recognizes her own long-lost exuberance.

Gladys Witham (Jodi Balfour) is a wild child and the only daughter in a wealthy Rosedale family. Gladys’s privileged life has made her fearless with an appetite for life and she’s always gotten what she wanted. Now, what she wants is changing and its far less superficial. Does this leave room for James Dunn, her fiance?

New to Toronto, Kate Andrews (Charlotte Hegele) is eager to please and gifted at lifting spirits thanks to a staggeringly talented singing voice. Beneath her smile is a sheltered, insecure girl who’s on the run from her abusive street-preaching father. Cobbling together a new identity, Kate appears to have evaded punishment and her past, for now.

Betty McRae (Ali Liebert) is a recent arrival from rural Saskatchewan. An early arrival to Victory Munitions, Betty quickly rose through the ranks to be a well-regarded worker who doubles as Blue Shift’s on-floor trainer of the new workers. She fled her troubling past to live in a place with fewer men to mistrust. Betty has a hard attitude but for some reason, this doesn’t seem to apply to her interactions with Kate.

Blue Shift’s materials controller, Marco Moretti (Antonio Cupo), is responsible for the raw materials coming into the factory, as well as the export of every finished bomb. He gained his experience from his family’s fireworks factory, and now supports his mother, sister and nieces as the sole breadwinner. His father has been locked away in an internment camp alongside hundreds of other Italian immigrants. Though Marco considers himself a Canadian, he knows others see him as a potential enemy and is unable to enlist.

James Dunn (Sebastian Pigott) is smart, attractive, wealthy, and poised to take the world by storm. He’s a decent man whose refinement haven’t resulted in snobbery. Still, having been largely sheltered from the world’s harsh truths, he’s woefully innocent about matters of the heart. While he’s drawn to Gladys, her exuberance often threatens to overwhelm him. He was an American before Pearl Harbor and still doesn’t feel that the war is truly his to fight.

Vera Burr (Anastasia Phillips) is a Blue Shift worker and was disfigured in an accident at the factory and suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. African-American Leon (Jim Codrington) works in the warehouse at Victory Munitions. A jazz musician and singer, he saves Kate from an attempted assault. Edith McAllum (Lisa Norton) is a floor worker at Victory, is close friends with Lorna, and befriends Bob while dealing with the aftermath of her husband’s death.
space

Series Finale

Episodes #19-20
The two-hour movie has not aired yet.
First aired: May 26, 2014.

space
What do you think? Do you like the Bomb Girls TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for another season?

Bobbie August 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I am sooooooooo upset that this show is not being renewed. I don’t understand when they finally get a show so many people enjoy they cancel it. This is a show I looked forward to every week as the characters become our family. This makes you not even want to watch television anymore. Please consider renewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jane August 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I hate that this show is being cancelled. It was one of the best in years and a tribute to a great generation. Older and younger people should know how individual lives formed the world we live in. RENEW RENEW RENEW. Generally frustrated with stupid reality shows and silly teenage shows. Some good drama please

Theresa August 25, 2013 at 9:56 am

I totally agree, Jane. I loved that show!

Cydne August 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Fabulous writing, acting, and great re-creation of the war era…..I would LOVE to see more!!!! I was hoping they’d carry it through the war years and beyond…So many life changing adjustments and dramatic possibilities!!! More, Please!!!

Theresa August 11, 2013 at 8:23 am

Love this show! Can’t understand why it is being cancelled!

Mona August 6, 2013 at 4:18 pm

One of the best shows ever!!! Bring it back please!!!!

Evelyn July 28, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Please renew, great show!

Nikki July 18, 2013 at 4:54 am

Please renew…just found series on netflix and love it!

sylvia July 17, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Please renew, we enjoy it so much, the actors are wonderful and the story script is well written. We can’t wait until the next episode. So please bring it back in the fall.

maureen clark July 9, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Please renew It is a well written well acted show . We just watched the finale and I mentioned to my husband I was really looking forward to Season 2 Please bring it back .

Rocky July 4, 2013 at 3:34 am

I absolutely love this show please keep it on the air

Dorothy Mayo June 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm

This show is close to my heart. It apeals to seniors and we all can relate to this moving drama. Me, my sisters and brothers all love this show. Although it takes place in Canada it”s as if they are reliving all the same issues that occured here in the US. I remember as a kid all we had to sacrifice during WW2. Please bring this show back. It deserves a second chance.

Al June 10, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Please renew Bomb Girls my favorite TV show.
Bomb Girls really show a side of WWII that was very vital in
winning the war.

Chuck Hill June 9, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Just found out another very good show being cancelled. Shows that generally attract the older audiences, such as myself, 1944, don’t have much of a tv life. The advertisers want the younger crowd, who spend lots of money I guess. It’s really a shame, you get involved with all the actors and you accept them into your home as family and love and care for them as family, then they pull the show. It has happened so much that is it any wonder the tv audience is shrinking. The tv producers will never understand to have any thing worth while, it takes time. They all want instant gratification. My vote, which doesn’t mean any thing, is to renew the show

Anonymous July 3, 2013 at 10:24 am

I totally agree. I’m so sick of every quality show being canceled

John June 6, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I love this series. I was born in 1944 and my mother worked in a California B-17 factory, installing wiring harnesses. My dad was a combat engineer on the Al-Can highway. This show exemplifies the persona of the effect of the war effort on civilian women of that time and I can relate the shows dramatized conditions with those that my mother lived during the war. With every show, I see many parallels with my mothers personal recollections.

Chrissy June 4, 2013 at 7:55 pm