Day Break: The Story on the Last Episode

It's been a heck of a day for Taye Diggs on Day Break on ABCMan! Like their hero Detective Brett Hopper, Day Break fans have been through the wringer. The Taye Diggs midseason replacement series was supposed to air for 13 straight weeks while ABC’s Lost was on a scheduled hiatus. Day Break under-performed ABC’s expectations and the network pulled it after only six episodes — right in the middle of the cliffhanger storyline — on December 15, 2006.

Though it wouldn’t help those without high-speed Internet access or living outside the U.S., the network said that it would release a new episode online every week. That didn’t happen and fans were left hanging for weeks and weeks. The word was that there were “unforeseen music clearance issues” that were preventing the seventh episode from being posted.

On January 14th, ABC Entertainment chief Stephen McPherson announced that the series would finally be posted online. In addition to the six previously aired episodes, four new episodes were made available on January 29th. The 11th and 12th episodes were posted in the following two weeks. The 13th and final episode should have been posted on February 19th. But that didn’t happen. Once again, fans were left hanging. With deja vu like this, many like they were stuck inside the Day Break storyline!

Well, after being delayed multiple times, the final episode entitled “What If It’s Him?” is finally available on ABC.com (click the “launch” button). It’s being reported that the holdup was once again due to music copyright issues. After all this, most people would have gladly watched the show without any music whatsoever.

As regular visitors of this site know, we’ve been hosting a petition to request that the series be released on DVD (so that everyone can see it) and to hopefully persuade execs to greenlight future Day Break projects. Though the printed petition has been sent, newcomers can still sign the petition. The package included the URL and encouraged the execs to see the impressive and continued interest. We’ll let you know as soon as we hear anything new.

For now, it seems Hopper’s story is over. Was it worth it? Talk about a long day! Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

benjamin March 10, 2007 at 8:55 pm

I noticed everyone was wondering who the guy was in the very end of the season finale and I just figured it out. The guy in the last ten seconds was the crazy white guy that bit Hopper. We later found out that his day was repeating over and over also. I guess they showed him at the end so we knew that he wanted to make sure Hoppers repeating days were over as well as his. (maybe)

t2pac March 8, 2007 at 6:40 am

I remember earlier in the series, diffrent incidents involving Hopper’s repeating day syndrome hinted that his father expeirenced the same thing. It seemed to me that the writers was making it seem that Hopper’s father killed himself becasue he couldnt take the repeating days any longer… kinda like the movie “Butter Effect”. So for whatever reason, Hopper suffered the same sickness as his father. So when ABC canceled the show the writers dumped that idea and decided to go with the whole partner killed partner conclusion. Did anyone else get that idea?

t2pac March 8, 2007 at 6:10 am

The guy at the very end of the of the finale was the other guy who was reliving everyday. The one who was left at the doctor’s office.

KJ March 7, 2007 at 7:57 pm

I think the guy at the end was Jared. I assumed he was an angel sent by Hopper’s dad to avenge his death and guide Hopper. He seemed pleased that Hopper, Rita and Jen were happy. The guy with the gun in van was going to clean up the mess and prevent Detwyler and his partner from spilling the beans–probably at the behest of the lawyer. I still don’t know why the day repeated and what the shots to the neck were about. Also, what was Chad was up to.

Paul Little March 7, 2007 at 12:31 am

Agreed… the guy at the end of the episode was a cleaned-up Jared. I’m guessing he was the one who actually caused the time-repeating to take place.

Glad the storyline was resolved, but it’d still be neat to know how it was supposed to continue and eventually figure out the temporal issues involved.

A DVD release is definitely a must for a show like this!

Anonymous March 6, 2007 at 9:20 pm

Good call on Jared! I was wondering who the heck that was also!

Joe March 6, 2007 at 5:52 pm

This was a great show, I sad when they canceled it. I was even more sad when they delayed the episodes online, and was ever sadder when they kept on delaying the final episode, but now I’m happy to see this story be resolved.

I really don’t know why this show was canceled, did the execs really expect re runs of george lopez to give them better ratings?

The Handsome March 6, 2007 at 8:12 am

The guy at the end was Jared, the ‘crazy’ guy who was also repeating his day.

Anonymous March 6, 2007 at 2:19 am

For those of you asking “who was the guy at the end of the final episode”, it was Jared…the mentally disturbed man whose day was also repeating.

Hopper took him to Dr. “Foureyes” (Fouraz), convinced he was suffering a mental disease in his temporal lobe…however, as Hopper walked away, Jared referenced an event from much earlier in the series: “I shouldn’t have bit you.”

Gordon Owen March 6, 2007 at 1:15 am

Killing this show was the dumbest move by shortsighted television executives in almost 40 years. Yes, it’s hard to believe how long ago it was when we saw those first episodes of Star Trek.

The blue-eyed observer at the end of the Day Break’s final episode is a dangling thread for future episodes. A bigger “dangler” is the weirdo looking for his brother. His final words (“Anyway, I’m sorry I bit you) are proof that he too was experiencing the same repeating day. Wonder why…

I agree that having Hopper go into another repeating day wouldn’t work. The way I’d play it is that observer Mr Blue eyes is the Hopper case’s assigned agent from the Time Police, an agency vastly different from those in H. Bean Piper’s Lord Kalvan novels. These guys seek out people who have been wronged and other things/ events that didn’t turn out right the first time. They create time loops to give key individuals another chance (or another half dozen chances) to get it right.

Impressed by Hopper, they attempt to recruit him into the Time Police. We do 13 episodes of TP showing Hopper the nifty things they’ve already accomplished. The first couple of these episodes are impressive, things like giving Charles Martel enough opportunity that he finally manages to turn back the Moors. Helping a Swedish inventor come up with trunnion bearings so that Gustavus Adolphus has the mobile cannons that allowed him win the Battle of Vienna. Could even include a no brainer like getting Queen Isabella to decide to go ahead and fund Columbus’s voyage. But some episodes cause Hopper to doubt whether the Time Police are truly on the side of the angels. Like giving James Wilkes Booth enough different attempted assassinations that the one at Ford Theater finally works, saving us from the dictator that Lincoln becomes in most timelines. Our friend Hop is thinking the Time Police should work with Lincoln and get him to implement the “no third term as president” rule.

Near end of the second 13 episodes, Hopper is approached by a secret splinter group within the Time Police who have a slightly different agenda. They want Hopper to join the Time Police but only so that he can become an operative for their group.

Sound like fun?

Gordon

Anonymous March 5, 2007 at 10:32 pm

Thats the same impression I was left with. By the way who was the guy at the end of the final episode, I don’t remember ever seeing him.

I loved this show, and seriously hope that it gets brought back to primetime television

Dave March 5, 2007 at 2:57 pm

I’m actually from outside of the U.S. and had a hard time acquiring the remaining episodes after ABC pulled it from their channel. However, it was definitively worth it. I loved the alternating plotlines, yet I would not want to see another season. From my point of view the plot is ended and the repeating-day idea should not be picked up again any time soon by a tv show. Hopper’s father’s death is avenged, the problems of the people around him are mostly resolved, he and Rita developed a deeper bond.. Although Hopper shouts to Colburn “This ain’t over” I don’t think there is enough room nor material to continue the plot from here; rounding up the remaining aspects and repeating the repeating-day thing would be shallow and artificial in my opinion.
I liked Taye Diggs’ acting, though. He really conveyed the role.

Anyway, who was that guy appearing in the last few seconds of the final episode? I cannot remember him from anything, was he the one who injected Hopper with that mysterious drug?

Aaron March 5, 2007 at 2:29 pm

I also got the impression that more was to come….like Chad escapeing and That guy in the prison van looked like he was up to something too….I was confused on the very last shot of the final episode…what was the deal with the guy at the end watching them -did i miss an episode with him in it…and what exactly triggered the day changing to tomorrow -was it that he finally had all the information that he need to move on….comments?

Walter March 5, 2007 at 5:34 am

After viewing the Daybreak series finale, I was left with the distinct impression that just enough of the plot line was left “open” to allow for a series continuation. Anyone else get that impression?

Brendan March 3, 2007 at 12:48 am

Wow! My wife and I just finished the last episode. We still can’t fathom why ABC would have ever cancelled this show. I have to say without any hesitation that this was the best show I’ve seen in years. ABC should really bring this show back and give it a real chance. I think this format also would translate well to a feature length film.

tvseriesfinale: I also think it would be a good idea to send the feedback to Taye Diggs himself through his agent or office or whatever avenue to communicate with Taye himself.

Anyway great show! Kudos to Taye and the production staff who created this show. It is such a shame that it got cancelled. As a BIG fan I can only hope that this story will continue somehow.

Great writing, big action awesome story. We were literally on the edge of our seats for every episode. I specifically hooked the laptop up to our television every week to watch each new episode. We’re happy the story is resolved yet saddened that it won’t be continued.