Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

de April 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Cancel it it’s not believable.

Lkelley April 20, 2013 at 10:24 am

Pls allow another season…….

Justine April 19, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Deception needs to be renewed for season 2!

Marie April 19, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I like Deception. Please renew it. I just discovered it and now it’s gone. Maybe not too many people know about it.

Purpose April 19, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Deception should stay on for another season. The viewers should get a chance to know who did the killing. It is not fair to us not to know the ending. This is a great show. Each show was getting better and better. Very intriguing!!! Please keep it on!

Nicole April 19, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I love Deception! I think it is a great show, however I would like to see more advertisement of the show so that more people would be aware of how entertaining the show is.

Tracey April 19, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I loved deception. I hope it is around for another season. It was really entertaining and I need to know who killed off the daughter

Torry Rogers Sr. April 19, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Wow!! Cancelled heartbreaking. Awesome show let season two being can’t wait. Great job to all the cast keep pushing. God Speed.

Looking forwarded to season two lets go, deception lets go.

Edna April 19, 2013 at 12:05 am

Deception is a good show. I would like to see it stay around for a 2nd season. If NBC were smart, they would take a note from ABC’s Scandal. Their ratings were higher after advertisement of a “steamy” affair with the president.

Deception has all the elements of Scandal, but not too much “steam”. They could improve presentation, but the concept is a good one.

BTW – I can’t stand Revolution and don’t watch it!

Anonymous April 20, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I’m with you LOVE Deception, it always seems like they never let the good shows stay. I agree can’t never get into Revolution, but we the viewers never matter or have our say :)

Sheree April 18, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Totally love this show i hope that it has been renewed for another season to see what really happens. This is such a great show unlike all of the dumb shows with like BBW and LHH and dumb girls taking New York or something. I do not get why these silly shows are even still on are some of their ratings are even lower than 1 million and yet still their still on air for a 3rd season.Come on people we have got to do better. BRING BACK ” THE CHASE,DO NO HARM, THE EVENT, DETROIT 187 , TRAFFIC LIGHT ” shows that had something going on other than bad acting fake drama…………..

FIFI April 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm

For goodness sake, please stop taking shows off that are good. I just lost another show. Damn, I’m doing to throw my TV set out the window if this keeps happening. LEAVE DECEPTION ALONE…it’s a good show!!!!

Maureen April 18, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Love This show — Happen to come across it later into the season but through our TV service was able to watch it from the beginning. Can never wait for the next episode. Hope that continue it but not sure how much further than can go with the storyline

KW April 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Me too. I love this show…Wish it would stay on…..I think the father killed the daughter. It would be nice to see who did it, finally.

JO April 18, 2013 at 9:24 am

Please DO NOT cancel DECEPTION, I miss hiding in the bathroom of the hospital (where I’m working as a nurse) every Tuesday morning watching deception on my ipad.

Rebecca April 18, 2013 at 8:35 am

Love the show. I wish they would give it another season. It took a while for the season to really get going but by the end it was amazing.