Halt and Catch Fire

Halt and Catch Fire TV show on AMCNetwork: AMC
Episodes: Ongoing (hour)
Seasons: Ongoing

TV show dates: June 1, 2014 – TBD
Series status: Has not been cancelled

Performers include: Lee Pace, Scoot McNairy, Mackenzie Davis, Kerry Bishé, Toby Huss, and David Wilson Barnes.

current TV show

TV show description:
This fictional drama takes place in the early 1980s, roughly one year after IBM cornered the computer market with the release of its first major product. The title refers to the term for computer machine code instructions that cause a computer’s CPU to cease meaningful operation.

A hard-driving former IBM sales executive, Joe MacMillan (Lee Pace) oozes charisma. He shows up at Cardiff Electric and essentially bulldozes his way into a senior position on the sales team. Once he has the job, he orchestrates a plan to reverse-engineer the flagship product of his former employer and build something better.

A once-promising engineer, Gordon Clark (Scoot McNairy) is sleepwalking through his life until the day Joe approaches him with his plan. Gordon longs for a redo of his past following the humiliating (and very public) failure of Symphonic, a computer he created with his wife which failed to turn on at the computer industry trade show COMDEX. After that traumatizing experience, Gordon reluctantly moved his family to his wife’s hometown of Dallas and took a job at Cardiff that’s far below his abilities.

Gordon’s wife is Donna (Kerry Bishé). Her parents are entrepreneurs who founded a high-end gadget company (à la Sharper Image) called Razor’s Edge. An accomplished musician, she found her calling in computers while attending the University of California, Berkeley, with Gordon. Though she’s resigned to her husband’s being mentally absent following the Symphonic failure, she fears that the new Cardiff project will result in the end of her marriage.

A volatile prodigy who puts her future in jeopardy by dropping out of college to join the rogue PC project, Cameron Howe (Mackenzie Davis) is a shock to the system of conservative, old-guard Cardiff Electric. At 22 years old, she represents what is next in the world of computing and a slap in the face to the traditionally male-dominated 1980s tech industry. The product of a tumultuous childhood, she sleeps at the office, takes stuff from others’ desks, blasts punk music, sleeps with her boss Joe, and butts heads with Gordon.

John Bosworth (Toby Huss) is a dyed-in-the-wool Texan and old-school businessman who has spent the past 22 years building Cardiff Electric into a regional power. As senior VP, he runs the company’s day-to-day operations and finances for founder emeritus Nathan Cardiff. After Joe forces the company into the PC race, Bosworth keeps a wary eye on the interloper who will either make Cardiff into a tech powerhouse or a national laughingstock.
space

Series Finale

Episode #TBD
This TV series has not ended yet.
First aired: TBD

space
What do you think? Do you like the Halt and Catch Fire TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for another season?

keyspike August 4, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I really like this show a lot! Create characters!

Dave August 3, 2014 at 6:34 pm

My wife and I got hooked on the show after watching it to see me as an extra in the boardroom scene. While waiting and watching we got hooked. It sort of dragged at the beginning, but became more interesting as we went along.

Djvisual July 31, 2014 at 12:50 am

Love this show. Smart, funny, sexy, attitude, great character development, great acting and story line. Finally something other than a reality junk, cop, lawyer or medical storyline. What else do people want?? Please keep this show for people who have still like to use their brains!!!

Jan July 27, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I love this show! The characters have really grown during the season. I look forward to it each week. RENEW!!

Jannerz July 23, 2014 at 12:13 am

Love this show It is starting to really come together. We know the characters and what drives them in the emerging PC world RENEW I want more

Mark July 21, 2014 at 7:14 pm

It’s kinda boring, wish they would focus more on computer history instead of the soap opera style television, it hasn’t held my interest and now a-little disappointed. I believe there is a lot more interest in this erra of the 80′s and the whole formation of computing technology and I’m afraid it’s now been spoiled somewhat. Sorry just disappointed :(

Julie July 7, 2014 at 9:44 am

I love this show. Every episode gets closer to the thing that gets us to the thing. Everyone’s growing into their personalities. I love the 1980′s. I really want to see this show renewed. So many shows really suck now, I find myself waiting for the next scene or episode with such excitement.

Georgia June 7, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Great show! Worrisone that there are those that have no interest in these types of shows. I will contiune ot watch. Am afraid it’ll have the same fate as Rubicon and it was a fantastic show.

joe madaejwski June 7, 2014 at 10:03 am

DVR’d and watched a few minutes; I’d say it WILL CONTINUE considering what AMC and other networks are doing…running 8-13 episodes THEN deciding what to do. I DOUBT this is a new _Walking Dead_ as far as popularity but expect it to survive. I NEED to finish episode 1 and have set a Season Pass with TiVo to get them all

kc

riggarob June 7, 2014 at 9:45 am

We watched, we liked. it’s fast paced, but I realize most pilots are like that, trying to bring the whole idea of the program together. But my wife and I both liked it. of course all that means is, it will be cancelled within 5 episodes. that’s the way it goes for us!

ptrsnake13 June 7, 2014 at 1:01 pm

riggarob. seems the same happens to us. Every time a 1/2 decently good or smart show comes on that we like, it get cancels. Maybe I should watch bad shows so they get cancelled!!

riggarob June 7, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I know, but I just can’t bring myself to do it!