How I Met Your Mother: CBS Series Renewed for Season Six

How I Met Your MotherIt looks like the kids of “future Ted” are going to have to sit and listen to his stories for a while longer. How I Met Your Mother has just been renewed for a sixth season.

As told by his future self (voice of Bob Saget), How I Met Your Mother relates the story of how architect Ted Moseby (Josh Radnor) met his wife — and his many experiences along the way with friends Marshall (Jason Segel), Lily (Alyson Hannigan), Robin (Cobie Smulders), and Barney (Neil Patrick Harris).

The sitcom has been a modest success for the network and, in the early years, the cast and crew typically had to wait until the last minute to find out if the show was being picked up.

Last year’s renewal was assured because the sitcom had been sold into syndication by 20th Century Fox TV. Though CBS wasn’t guaranteed to take it, the deal stipulated that the studio would create at least five seasons’ worth of episodes.

Are you glad Mother's been renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mother has now been picked up for a sixth season, reports Variety. The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men were previously given multiple year renewals so it looks likely that the Monday night lineup will remain essentially the same.

Mother’s creators, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, have three year deals with the studio. That’ll keep them with the show until season eight, should the series run that long.

What do you think? Are you glad that Mother is returning for another round of episodes? Do you think the show should last eight seasons?

Canceled and renewed TV show

32 Comments on "How I Met Your Mother: CBS Series Renewed for Season Six"

Notify of

Anonymous
Anonymous
April 23, 2011 9:40 am

I hope it lasts 8 Seasons, I agree with most of the above. Meet Mrs. Mosby, give some time to fall in love, get married. Give her side of the story, take your time saying goodbye to the characters, not just the final 5 minutes of the last show. How I Met Your Mother is awesome. Love every bit.

Zen
Zen
March 28, 2011 8:16 am

I am 11 and I love this show it should last for season10 almost but it’s time we meet teds wife

Kam
Kam
February 26, 2011 5:42 am
It seems slightly unfair to cut it off. Season eight would be amazing, b/c for me it was never about finding out who the mother was. if my dad told me these stories about his friends and his relationships, i would be eating popcorn, like “so what happened with robin?” or be laughing my butt off at barney or marshall or whatever stupid thing they did next, b/c the adventure alone and the journey to meet the mother is epic. i don’t mind the mystery. if i was his kid, i’d be like, don’t stop there, the best part is… Read more »
carmin
carmin
January 22, 2011 10:45 pm

I really like the show i would like to see it from beginning to end unlike how ive been seeing it. i agree with a few people pon here its a great show love the characters but time to meet the mother

Jonny
Jonny
December 20, 2010 6:57 pm
I absolutely love this show! I hope it lasts eight seasons, only because I want to see who Barney eventually ends up with, the same with Robin. I don’t think just one more season can tell us the story of how these events develop, and with the line that Robin said to Ted in episode twelve of season six this show has the option of going eight seasons. This show is absolutely my favorite and my heart would break if it ended this season because I want to see what happens to everyone else before we all meet the future… Read more »
MAHIRA
MAHIRA
December 13, 2010 8:05 am

wow i love this series but my patience is reducing when will we meet MRS TED

Rolem
Rolem
July 2, 2010 4:00 pm

This show has turned Garbage since Season 5. I think they need to stop. Two and A Half Men is such a better show that this poop….

Raul
Raul
May 26, 2010 6:14 pm

They need better writers! They need better material! Most of the episodes from the last two seasons have been flops. There’s only a couple of truly fresh and funny scenes every handful of episodes, if even. The fact that they are stretching out the storyline and running out of ideas has been showing through for a long time.

Margaret
Margaret
May 24, 2010 8:31 pm

How I met your Mother has got to be the stupidest show I have ever seen.

Anonymous
Anonymous
June 29, 2010 8:11 pm

What passes for comedy in your neck of the woods. Watching squirrels fight. HIMYM is awesome. You’re just sorry you could never live up to half of the shenanigans they get themselves into.

Joshua
May 23, 2010 1:27 am

I agree with Ali about discovering a bit about his mother…. I love the realness of the characters, and They could easily pad out half a season on Ted and his Wifes relationship up to marriage. And even a season that would give a perspective of The mother to fit in the connections that makes the final meeting and falling in love that much more special… So Yeah i could see how they could easily do 3 more seasons… and i think they almost need that long share the directions of each of the characters we’ve all come to love.

Andrew
Andrew
May 18, 2010 9:55 am

Much as I love the show, I’d be happy to see them wrap it up with the sixth season. It feels like the natural story arc is coming to a conclusion. There’s only so much longer they can keep hinting the future Mrs. Mosby is just around the corner before the big reveal. Once the two of them meet, anything afterwards is going to feel increasingly forced.

te
te
March 2, 2011 9:45 am

I’m shocked anyone could find this show the lease bit funny.
Never date a woman with hooks and Barney turns around and his crotch is shredded.
See, he was dating a girl with hooks and she did that to his pants.
No clever, bad acting except for Robin. I feel sorry for her, she’s the only reason to watch. How about her dog boyfriend, lame.
You know a show is bad when you watch it so you can talk to your friends about how lame last nights episode was.
There’s a term, jump the shark.

Rolley
Rolley
May 10, 2010 4:36 pm

Yes, they should introduce her, and start a new series titled: How I met Ted.
-Is your father done? Then it’s my turn. Kids? Where’re you running? 😀

Ali
Ali
May 3, 2010 9:36 pm

Crack up every week over the show! …however, I think they need to tell us who the mother is already! It is getting old and seems a little forced trying to still drag everyone on with the myserty identity of the mother. They should introduce her, yet, show all the comedy with them going from daiting to marriage. If they keep building her up much more there will be no charater able to step into those shoes.

Shari
Shari
May 3, 2010 10:50 am

One of the best shows EVER!♥

Laurie
Laurie
April 22, 2010 8:15 pm

My favorite current sitcom ever!!!! I was with this show from day one, and I still haven’t changed my position since then. This next season is going to be “Legen…-and I hope your not Lactose and Tolerant because the next word is-…dary

wpDiscuz