In the Motherhood: ABC Yanks Cancelled Sitcom Again

In the MotherhoodThere’s just no love for the mommies of ABC’s cancelled sitcom, In the Motherhood.

Starring Cheryl Hines, Jessica St. Clair, Horatio Sanz, RonReaco Lee, and Megan Mullally, In the Motherhood debuted on March 26th. Coupled with Samantha Who?, the first episode garnered mixed reviews from critics.

Unfortunately, Motherhood premiered opposite a special Thursday night episode of FOX’s American Idol. The hugely popular reality series aired that night due to being preempted by the President’s address earlier in the week. Motherhood’s first episode attracted just 6.69 million viewers and a 2.2/6 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic.

The following episodes’ ratings were even worse and to little surprise, ABC cancelled the show and pulled it from the schedule after just four episodes.

ABC started burning off the remaining three episodes last week. But, because the ratings were so poor — 2.69 million and a 0.7/2 — they’ve yanked the sitcom from the schedule once again. The last two installments of Motherhood have been replaced by additional episodes of also-cancelled Samantha Who?.

It looks very doubtful that ABC will air the remaining episodes of Motherhood but, based on the past, they may release them online at some point.

laura July 27, 2009 at 5:49 am

Horatio Sanz ROCKS. he truly stole the show. too bad the writing was so bad that he had to be involved with such a flop. The fanz want more SANZ!

SugarRush1978 July 20, 2009 at 9:38 pm

I liked in the motherhood and Samantha Who both. Every time I find a show I really like it gets cancelled :( yet they keep wipe out, I survived a jap. game show, the superstars. 2 much reality crap not enough good comedy. I will not watch ABC until G.A. and P.P comes back on when they take Samantha Who off.

Heather July 14, 2009 at 10:55 am

I actually liked this show, and had no idea that it had even come back this summer. Tv channels are doing a horrible job promoting shows. All I ever see ads for it seems like are new reality shows. I’m getting extremely burnt out on reality tv. If you want a show to have good ratings, maybe you should make sure people know its on!

On a side note, how do they even judge ratings? Are online viewings counted, because many shows I watch online. Its much easier to concentrate on a tv show after my daughter has gone to bed…

Kyle July 12, 2009 at 11:52 am

Wow Good Choice but I feel bad that Sam Who had to go down with it!! I never thought a show could be cancelled 2 times in 1 season

Christina July 6, 2009 at 2:25 am

Tom-YOU need to go! Megan is an Emmy/Sag winner and an amazing talent and good shows like ‘ITM’ deserve MORE of a chance! Megan made the show and I CANNOT BELIEVE they leave the likes of ‘Ugly Betty’ and ‘Samantha Who’ on! People don’t know REAL talent when they see it! Ppfftt!!

Anonymous July 4, 2009 at 5:06 am

why!!! please air the last two episodes!!! us fans deserve at least that much!!!

Tom July 2, 2009 at 7:19 am

Good, it needed to go. I’m just sad that they don’t have anything better than “Samantha Who” to replace it with…