Magic City: Season Three Decision Coming Soon

magic city season three?Chris Albrecht, the CEO of Starz, says the cable channel hasn’t made a decision about the fate of Magic City yet.

At the TCA Summer Press Tour, he said, “Our policy process is one or two seasons of a show to really get behind something if we like the work… We have a couple of little surprises in our pocket in store, so I can’t reveal too much other than you’ll have the answer to your question soon.”

Magic City hasn’t grown it’s small audience in season two and has been performing the same as season one, drawing 430,000 viewers for each episode’s initial airing. That’s less than half of what the Spartacus series drew (1.0 million) and only a bit better than Boss (360,000) which was cancelled after two seasons.

It’s difficult to judge what Starz will do but it’s hard to imagine that they see Magic City’s small viewership as a success.

We also know that they have four new shows in the pipeline and have already renewed one of them — Black Sails — for a second season some six months before the show’s debut.

I suspect that they may cancel Magic City and hope that their new shows will perform as well or better.

UPDATE: Starz has cancelled Magic City after two seasons.

What do you think? Should Starz renew Magic City for a third season? Is the show worth watching?

94 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Judy says

Please bring back Magic City. My husband and I loved the show. We don’t find much we like to watch. We are in our 70’s and there is not to many shows that catch our interest. Please!!!!!!

2. says

I was sooooo disappointed when Magic City was cancelled. The show was GREAT and had a really good story line. I enjoyed every actor. It needs a tv time slot that appeals to ages 60+ Young people have no clue about that era. PLEASE BRING IT BACK. Need more on the Cuba connection especially because of current affairs with Cuba. It could be a winner. Give it a chance

3. Travis says

Love the show I don’t know if I can live without Lilly. Please bring it back I’ll tell everybody I know about it I’ll help advertise. Please please please !!!!

4. Paul Kishter says

This was a great tv series. If you didn’t get the numbers you wanted, It’s YOUR fault. Very weak advertising! We won’t watch your network again!

5. Joanne says

I just discovered Magic City on Netflix – I’m hooked! I never heard of this series until I found it on netflix. It must not have been advertised well because if given the chance it would have survived! I am recommending it to everyone.

6. says

Just looking for something to watch on Netflix, came across Magic City. I was hooked from the first episode. If, it means anything, please bring it back!!!!