Mercy: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Mercy canceledAt the start of the season, we wondered which new NBC medical drama had the best chance at survival — Mercy or Trauma. It was hard to decide but now, they’ve both been cancelled anyway.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The medical drama got off to a pretty poor start last September, attracting a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. Unfortunately, viewership fell even lower from there.

Despite the ratings, NBC ordered a full season of episodes, likely because the network needed the original programming. Though NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad said she liked the show creatively, she noted that the show’s ratings had to improve for it to survive.

The ratings didn’t improve. The most recent episode attracted only a 1.1 rating in the demo and 4.01 million viewers.

To no surprise, the Mercy TV show’s now been cancelled. The 22nd and final episode aired last Wednesday, May 12th. Unfortunately, it wasn’t intended to be a series finale and didn’t wrap up the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mercy won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to have seen happen?

Canceled and renewed TV show

2,227 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Aimee says

I just watched the whole first season on hulu and was really mad to find out there wasnt another season! I want to know what happens to Mike and Chris and everybody else for that matter. It would be awesome if it came back

2. Tom says

I really liked the show. My wife purchased a CD of the whole year for me and I am watching it from time to time. It was so different from the usual hospital shows and also different from afternoon soaps. I really liked the episodes where Veronica shoots the robber in the donut shop. Also, when she was in the building with the two boys and had to cut the one boy’s arm off. Gross, but it kept me glued to the screen.

3. Tammy says

Just not right taking a show off that is loved so much and Everyone really
    Wants to know if Chris and Michael die PLEASE BRING THE SHOW BACK!

4. krysten says

Just watched the whole season on hulu… When I went to look for more seasons I came across that it was canceled! I’m soo bummed bring back mercy! I never even know about it also I give that credit to poor advertising… Love the show!

5. says

I have never heard of the show, i think it is due to poor advertising! I found it on Xfinity and I LOVE it. Please find a way to give me more!

6. a fro finland says

i liked this show (air now in fin,,) and now i am disappointed to hear that there is no future for this show..

7. says

I love this show. I never heard of it and I think that may be the reason for the low ratings. I saw it on HuluPlus, then I watched it and I couldn’t stop. This show was very interesting and I am very upset how the first season ended, and more upset that they cancelled the show. I was really rooting for Veronica and Mike. Maybe they should try this show at a different time. This show was different than alot of medical shows. There was a lot of real life events, that made this show pretty amazing, hopefully this show will come back. I really don’t see how the ratings were low. It seems like everytime a good show airs, it gets cancelled. This is a shame!!!

8. Amanda says

I would love if they brought back “Mercy”. So much happened that needs to be explained. So many questions unanswered. I hope another network will pull it back.

• says

I agree, it would be great if another network picked it up. There is a lot to explain, and I see a lot of good and better ratings in store for this show if they bring it back!!

9. Jordan says

I saw this show in walmart and it looked very interesting. I watched it and loved the entire thing. I thought the ideas and characters were amazing and I was disappointed to find out that there was no seaso two. I hope that someday there will be a season two even though I doubt it very highly. I wish there was a better way to end the season but I will never know how this wonderful show would have ended.

10. Bart says

I watched every episode. I thought the story line was very real and down to earth. Therr are some really good shows out there, but this hit all the issues and was great. It would be great to see it back on the air.