Mercy: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Mercy canceledAt the start of the season, we wondered which new NBC medical drama had the best chance at survival — Mercy or Trauma. It was hard to decide but now, they’ve both been cancelled anyway.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The medical drama got off to a pretty poor start last September, attracting a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. Unfortunately, viewership fell even lower from there.

Despite the ratings, NBC ordered a full season of episodes, likely because the network needed the original programming. Though NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad said she liked the show creatively, she noted that the show’s ratings had to improve for it to survive.

The ratings didn’t improve. The most recent episode attracted only a 1.1 rating in the demo and 4.01 million viewers.

To no surprise, the Mercy TV show’s now been cancelled. The 22nd and final episode aired last Wednesday, May 12th. Unfortunately, it wasn’t intended to be a series finale and didn’t wrap up the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mercy won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to have seen happen?

lin February 4, 2014 at 8:51 am

I really liked the show!characters were so interesting! why not promote these
types of series a bit more then all those reality shows..
maybe our teenagers would want to become nurses and docters again instead of walking around with loads of make up and idolizing silly people…

Anonymous February 2, 2014 at 2:30 pm

That’s is THE MOST STUPIDEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD. I lived the show ssooooooo much! What about mike? Or chris? Or cloe?

Mon February 1, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Unbelievable! Cancelled!? I loved it. And you’re telling me the rest of the planet didn’t? I can’t believe those who loved it are in the minority. So much for good taste. So sad.

judith fitzgerald January 28, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I loved this show, just watched the last episode on netflix, was hooked , cant believe there is no more to it. It was brilliant, very disappointed

Jamie ashon January 28, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Nooooooooooo! It needs to get a series two i am GUTTED i spent hours upon hours watchin it back to back. :(

Angie January 28, 2014 at 9:43 am

I’m so disappointed to find after researching the web, that season1 of mercy was the final episodes to my horror, there is not going to be season2 out, someone decided to cancel. I so looked forward to watching the tv series, I found it funny , inspiring, fantastic acting and what a shame how it ended now that’s frustrating!!. It’s a must you need to do a season2.

Katy January 19, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I thought this was a great show with great story lines for all characters! I feel cheated that there is no season 2 to wrap it up!

Chaunda January 17, 2014 at 7:18 pm

LOVED this show!!! So sad to hear its not coming back, especially after Season 1’s ending. :((

dolores forde January 16, 2014 at 10:43 am

Just watched all episodes on netflix and soooo dissappointed there is no Season 2!!!

wendy January 14, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I think they should of at least let us see whst happens with veronica and the 2 men

Anonymous January 14, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I think it was a great show and wish we could of just seen if both men died at the end or not

Elizabeth Marlow January 12, 2014 at 10:56 am

Was really looking forward to watching more episodes of Mercy.
The cliff-hanger episode of season one was a terrible way to end the show.

penny January 12, 2014 at 9:21 am

Gutted theres no season 2 of mercy

amber steber January 12, 2014 at 4:33 am

I thought the show was great ! It sucks their was only one season, I really wanted to see what happened next ! Loved all the actors. I wish their was like 5 seasons to watch. Hopefully we can get a Season 2 some day!?

Claire January 9, 2014 at 11:15 am

It’s soo annoying when shows get cancelled :( would of loved to see season 2 of mercy and trauma loved both shows