No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency: TV Show Cancelled But May Return as Movies

No. 1 Ladies' Detective AgencyAt the TCA press tour, Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming, spoke about the future of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. Though it won’t be continuing as a TV series, there are plans to continue the story in the form of two movies.

No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency ran for seven episodes on HBO, from March until May in 2009. The comedy-drama was filmed on location in Botswana and follows Mma Ramotswe as she operates a detective agency. The cast includes Jill Scott, Anika Noni Rose, Lucian Msamati, and Desmond Dube.

This weekend, Lombardo said, “We’re talking to our friends at the Weinstein Company about the possibility of, and actually developing two scripts, possibly to do two movies. And if we can get the cast together and if everything can come together we’ve love to do it. So it’s alive.”

If they get the final go-ahead, the two HBO movies would likely be shot back-to-back. It seems they won’t be filmed completely in Botswana however.

It was reported last month that the show’s producers had relocated from Botswana to Cape Town. The Botswana government, hard hit by the recession, balked at the idea of subsidizing film production while South Africa doubled their rebate offer.

If the movies are actually made, they’ll be filmed mostly in Cape Town with occasional lensing in Botswana, the locale where the story is set.

What do you think? Are you a fan of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency? Would you like to see it return as a pair of movies?

Nancy K April 19, 2012 at 6:50 am

My husband pretended not to be interested in the series when I was watching it. But then when it was over, even he wanted more!

Nancy K April 19, 2012 at 6:45 am

Please, please, please give us more of No 1 Ladies’ Dectective Agency! I’m on the last of the 13 books and finished watching the 7 HBO episodes. I LOVE these characters!

Betty Tewell April 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm

As a lifetime reader and film watcher I found the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, both books and the few episodes available on television so memorable and high quality, something we find little of these days. I am happy that Alexander McCall Smith keeps writing so prolifically but can’t imagine anything I would enjoy more than either a second season on television or actual movies.

Ava March 31, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Absolutely bring it back. I am a fan of the series and the books.

Jo March 31, 2012 at 8:26 am

The No. 1 Ladies Detective agency is an intelligent show, with rich characters and superb actors. While I love television, right now most television is either insulting, ignorant and just a waste of time. I have reduced the amount of television I watch because of the horrible shows broadcast. That is until getting the movie from the library. Happy, happy, joy joy. My mom, daughter and I all love the series. I an addicted. I will be buying the first season (and any other season available or that will become available). We are also reading the books. Shame on HBO for failing to recognize quality!!!

Tremene Triplett March 30, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Absolutely loved watching the series for No 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. I bought the first season at Block Buster and watched the whole thing in one week! Please bring the series back!

cathie March 25, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I cant believe i’ve kept hbo for the sole reason of waiting for this shows return. I am serioosly peeved AND ready to cancel. Shoot, i cant anything else i want on netflix or elsewhere cheaper …crap! MOVIES pLEASE!

Sara March 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I thought it was lovely. My Mum let me borrow the DVD. You HAVE to make more!!!

Judy March 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Like so many new shows it takes a while to catch on and then *poof* canceled due to lack of viewers. Hey, nobody cared about Seinfeld for half a season and it was about to get the boot.

Of course it doesn’t help that it’s on a premium network like HBO that many people do not bother to subscribe to. The books are fabulous and the show followed suit with amazing actors bringing the characters to life. I’m so sad that the show did not get the respect it deserved until ‘after death’.

Amanda March 13, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Yes please bring back the second season or produce the two movies …Love it!!!!

Adrianna March 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Such a good show – never given a real chance.

Lisa March 11, 2012 at 11:27 am

Yes! Please bring back the series or produce the 2 films!!!!!

Sherrie Sykes March 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Yes, movies would be great if we can’t get a second season. The first season was wonderful. I just finished watching it and went searching to buy Season 2, only to find there was not one ):

terry February 29, 2012 at 7:54 am

YES please. We will take the movies if that is all we can get. Lots of my friends and I so enjoyed this series and miss it terribly. I keep checking to see if anything is in the works. Please make it happen. I agree with the other comment — anything good — next thing its gone. Bring it back please . Thank you.

Rosemary Horton February 26, 2012 at 9:30 am

Everytime something good comes on, before you know it…it’s gone. I love that show. I don’t watch a lot of TV, most isn’t worth my time but this was and hope fully will be again. YES