Raising Hope: New FOX Sitcom; Cancel or Keep It?

Raising HopeFOX has a new family comedy, Raising Hope, on their schedule but it’s certainly nothing like ABC’s The Modern Family. How did it do in the ratings? Big numbers or immediate cancellation danger?

Raising Hope follows a young pool-cleaner (Lucas Neff) who becomes a father after a one-night stand with a female fugitive. The rest of the cast includes Garrett Dillahunt, Martha Plimpton, Shannon Marie Woodward, Skyler Stone, Bijou Phillips, and Cloris Leachman.

The sitcom debuted on Tuesday night at 9pm to an average 3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.3 million total viewers. It was in third place in both categories. That’s pretty good, especially considering the competition in that timeslot.

However, it’s not so positive when you consider how much of its lead-in audience that Raising Hope lost. At the end of the season premiere episode of Glee, FOX had a 6.0 rating in the demo and 13.5 million viewers. Raising Hope lost nearly half of that audience.

What do you think of Raising Hope?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What’s more, the sitcom lost 10% of its viewers halfway through the show. Those people probably won’t be back to watch future installments. It also doesn’t help that the sitcom that followed it, Running Wilde, is doing much worse.

While the numbers for Raising Hope might be good enough on their own, FOX is surely not pleased that it lost so many lead-in viewers.

The show’s future will ultimately be determined by how well it performs in the coming weeks. Right now, things don’t look good.

What do you think? Did you watch Raising Hope? Is it enjoyable? Will you watch or should it be cancelled already?

Patricia Brink January 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I Love this show . it is the only time my whole family sit down together . we all love it

Anabel January 4, 2011 at 9:15 pm

This show is definitely very funny! I catch myself laughing out loud throughout every episode. The beginning of the Halloween episode itself is worth watching over and over when Maw maw sneaks into the candy and turns into her five-year-old self. Raising Hope is a keeper!

Christine Devanna January 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I love this show. please don’t cancel it. The whole cast clicks fantastically together. I think it is one of the funniest shows on evening TV. I look forward to watching this show every Tuesday.

marilyn danz January 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Raising Hope is the funniest most engaging new show for the 210-2011 season, please do not cancel this,as i can not get enough of it. My husband and I laugh and watch even the reruns over again. Martha Plimpton is great as virginia, and Lucus Nuff is hilarious as jimmy. Please give us something good to watch each week, and do not take this wonderful entertaining show off!!!!!

Dani January 3, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I absolutely love this show! My dad and I watch it all of the time. We even go onto Hulu to watch again! I really Hope that it will not be canceled. I think that there is not a large audience because people do not understand the jokes but thats the best part.

anne January 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Oh my gosh, DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!!!! It is sooo funny and I along with many others love it!

Bobby January 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I really feel that if FOX can put this fun, witty, ensemble with another well written show it could really go places. This show is laugh out loud funny. Maybe promoting it as an anecdote to “Modern Family” They both have real life situations, just call this the trailer park version. I’m 44 and I love this show. I would really hate to lose it.

Kitties-4 January 1, 2011 at 7:41 am

I absolutely LOVE this show – I’ve never seen Lucas Neff in anything before (that I know of), but he is so BRILLIANT in this role as a young daddy trying very hard to raise his baby daughter (the casting crew couldn’t have chosen a better baby for this part either)!! Everyone in it does a great job of acting too – it is soooooo funny = PLEASE BRING IT BACK….PLEEEEEEEZE!!!!!
Did I say PLEEEEEEEZE????

Sarah schubarth December 30, 2010 at 11:12 am

Please bring it back Raising Hope is the only show me and my husband both love to watch together please please please don’t cancel our show!!

cat December 29, 2010 at 8:08 am

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL! It’s the only show I like to watch. It is a bright spot to my week. So, PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THE SHOW. My sister and I watch it together from different sides of the country and then call each other and laugh together. She’s as crushed as I am.

Diana Marie December 27, 2010 at 1:06 pm

please bring the show back. It was very funny, very clean compared to other shows. Maybe that’s the problem it wasn’t enough nudity, violence and profanity.

Anonymous December 26, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I love this show!

Sydney December 23, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I absolutely lobe this show. It cracks me up. I look forward to Tuesday nights line up.

The Evans Family December 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm

PLEASE ! PLEASE ! PLEASE ! KEEP “RAISING HOPE” ON TV ! We love the show. Giggles galore for us, plus many insightful life lessons for us. I am 66 of age, my husband is 73 years of age. Don’t forget about us ! We looked forward to it and are SO disappointed we can no longer find it. PLEASE give us hope that our “HOPE” will return to us soon ! Thank you.

anne January 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! F U N N Y!!!! Do not cancel! Please
Running Wilde… not so good

Amy December 22, 2010 at 7:53 am

I love the show!! I can relate to it on several different levels. I’m some what raising a Hope of my own=) If the show happened to be cancled I think I would cry! I look foward to watching it EVERY Tue! At times like these it’s nice to be able to sit down with my family and watch a show that we can relate to and just laugh together!!! I’m also looking forward to the Dvd release. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE THIS SHOW A CHANCE!!! DON’T CANCLE IT!!! I pray that it has a long run!