Rock Center with Brian Williams: Cancelled after Two Seasons

Rock Center with Brian Williams cancelledEven news programs aren’t immune to being axed. NBC has cancelled Rock Center with Brian Williams after two low-rated seasons.

It’s actually a wonder that the show was renewed for a second season given its dismal ratings. Last year, on Monday nights, it barely averaged a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 3.54 million viewers. This season, it’s done even worse — drawing a 1.0 rating average.

The numbers held steady when it was moved from Thursdays to Friday nights but was typically trounced by the competition.

Dateline, which also airs on Friday evenings has been averaging a better 1.3 in the demo and 5.18 million.

Word is that Rock Center with Brian Williams will stay on the schedule until some time next month.

What do you think? Did you like Rock Center? Was it better than Dateline?

Canceled and renewed TV show

15 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Ada says

I loved Rock Center and really miss it. Brian Williams is the best. I much prefer him and NBC Nightly News over the others.

2. Martha Helmuth says

I watched Rock Center faithfully because of its substance and variety. I never watch Dateline or 20/20. Brian Williams is intelligent, personable, caring and pleasant. I would love to see it continue.

3. ann ballantyne says

I truly enjoyed watching Rock Center with Brain Williams, in fact it was better than
    Dateline. It is terrible that good programs get cancelled.

4. katay says

Very sad. There simply aren’t enough human interest stories, whether they are about amazing people doing good for their community with limited resources, or exposing those who exploit these same people. These are the type of stories that can inspire people and are a breath of fresh air in the doldrums of network programming.
    CBS has done a great job with 60 Minutes and CBS Sunday Morning which have similar programming. What’s wrong with NBC? Brian Williams was perfect for this format and will be missed.
    I find it disconcerting that Americans prefer to watch programs about real life murders, people making fools of themselves in “reality” shows, sold called sitcoms that are not funny, or talent contests.

5. JudyAnn says

What a loss to have Rock Center cancelled. PLEASE reconsider and reinstate Rock Center. It was the best news show on TV and loved Brian Williams and all the correspondents. Have fingers and toes crossed for the return of Rock Center.

6. Beth says

I LOVED this show and never missed an episode! I am shocked that it is being cancelled! Love Brian Williams and loved the shows format. I am horribly disappointed and will truly miss this show.

7. DJ says

Will be sad to see it go. I far preferred it over Dateline mostly because of Brian Williams – love his wit. It did bother me that so much of it as pre-aired on the Today Show – by doing that I often fast forwarded (never watch live television) through the parts I had already seen. Lester Holt is just boring so I won’t be watching Dateline at all

8. Mary Lockhart says

I tuned into Rock Center every week – despite its being moved from time slot to time slot and day to day. It’s HANDS DOWN better than Dateline – Dateline takes one murder or crime story and beats it into the ground – repeating itself for the duration of an hour or worse – two hours. 20/20 is somewhat better than that – but they’re getting a tad fluffy. Brian Williams has smarts and a quick wit. I’m sorry to see it go.

9. Judy says

I really really like Brian Williams and loved the program. It reminds me of 20-20 with Barbara Walters. Give it another chance.

10. Craig says

This was just a really bad news show. Brian Williams is much more interesting when he pops up in comedy shows. And the news side of the show seemed more fake than reality TV shows.

11. Karen J says

We really like Brian Williams and enjoyed this show. There IS a place for non-sensationalized, honest journalism and we will miss this show!!!

12. Joe Siegler says

I liked Rock Center. Just struck me as an extended version of the NBC Nightly news, which I liked. Gave them a chance to expand on stories. Oh well.