The Glades: Cancelled by A&E, No Season Five

The Glades canceledAs expected A&E has cancelled The Glades after four seasons on the air. There won’t be a fifth season or wedding for Jim (Matt Passmore) and Callie (Kiele Sanchez).

The dramedy began in July 2010 and it became their first scripted series to last more than a season. The cancellation comes days after The Glades’ fourth season finale attracted 3.41 million viewers. This was the show’s most-watched episode since the series premiere which drew 3.55 million.

Unfortunately, the fourth season as a whole was down by 14% year-to-year and The Glades was the cable channel’s lowest-rated scripted series. It didn’t help that the show was also produced by Fox, an outside studio, so A&E didn’t have a financial stake in the show’s future.

Of course, the real losers are the fans. The fourth season ended on a cliffhanger with Jim being shot in the chest by an unknown assailant. Hopefully the producers will find a way to give faithful viewers an idea of what might have happened in season five.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that The Glades has been cancelled? How would you have resolved the cliffhanger? Should Jim and Callie be together?

Sharon November 17, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I don’t get TV executives. They can put out shows like storage wars, Longmire, honey boo boo, gator wars and other crappy shows and seemingly be proud of them, but cancel The Glades. I know it’s all about the money, but surely you saw the show gaining momentum? The Glades was quirky, fun, intriguing and full of little twists and turns that kept us interested and wanting to know more. I thought the chemistry of the actors was “right on” from the start. The show was just “cutting its teeth”! Yes…it was a show that took it’s time to develop its characters and identity, but so did Seinfeld! That show was almost cancelled, but someone grew a pair and said wait…just wait some and see what happens. We all know how that turned out. I think the Glades was one of those shows that was just getting to be known by viewers. Part of that falls on Fox for not advertising it well. God knows they certainly advertise those ridiculous sitcoms they churn out left and right. And I like sitcoms! Anyway, shame on Fox for the cancellation and their impatience. They didn’t even have the foresight and courtesy to give the show a proper burial and include a Season 5 finale. I think they let a “jewel in the rough” get away.

Malcolm November 10, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Just finished watching the last episode of the glade on Netflix
It took a while to warm up to the show
After a few episodes I was a true fan
Sorry and sad to hear it’s cancelled and how it ended
An alternative ending should have been in the can just in case of a cancellation so
Not to leave fans up in the mists and wondering.

Kimberly November 4, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I WANT MY GLADES! YOU CAN’T CANCEL A SHOW WITH THAT! C’MON ONE MORE SEASON A LITTLE ITTY BITTY SHORT ONE TO FINISH IT OFF ON A GOOD NOTE AT LEAST!

Reaves November 7, 2014 at 12:52 am

So so sucks. A&E needs to at least give a wrap up of how everything ended.

Kelley November 3, 2014 at 10:30 am

Okay so A&E stinks in every way…Longmire and the Glades? Apparently they have no loyalty to fans.

Steve November 4, 2014 at 9:37 am

A & E
Really sucks big time, they’re too busy with there fake scripted so called reality shows like Storage Wars. The A&E network isn’t worth watching. Bring back the Glades !!

marie November 1, 2014 at 3:45 pm

A&E sucks for not finishing off the series they should get banned from network tv period

Larry October 27, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Last episode sucked. If they were going to end the series they should have ended it on a happy note. To kill of Jim was stupid. Either the ex husband killed him or the federal marshall who probably wasn’t a marshall

Kelley November 3, 2014 at 10:32 am

Maybe even ex-mother-in-law? That federal dude felt weird all along…

Del October 27, 2014 at 3:12 pm

How could the producers of this great show let it end with the shooting of Jim? There is way too much to be resolved here; certainly enough for a continuation of episodes. I thoroughly enjoyed the cleverness of the detective work and the interplay between characters. Please find a home for a belated season 5!

Kristi October 24, 2014 at 2:17 am

Great series, like Bones with a bit of CSI Miami.. If you missed it, take the time to watch it. Jim and Callie are really cute. Enjoy the changes in direction this show likes to toss in, but beware of the cliffhanger ending. A& E did a big injustice to the viewers by ending this series.. Sure wish FOX, ABC, NBC or CBS would pick this one up. Could be another CSI or NCIS or BONES series. Why kill a series with such potential? IF a major network instead of a cable network had it would not be over. I guess AMAZON will be the only winner in this story.. as they have all four episodes on Prime. IF you want people to tune into TV these days… make it available for viewing anytime, by phone, I -pad or laptop… and free. Cable or DISH doesn’t cut it anymore. We are not the generation who sits in front of the TV each evening. We live life on the go and enjoy our little moments of TV between events. No more waiting for 1/4 of our lives with nothing to do. Take a moment to read a book, surf the web and watch your favorite shows between the kids drop offs and pick ups or after work before the next meeting. When your home turn off all of your devices and enjoy your family.. Something Jim and Callie really need to learn.

ED Groves October 26, 2014 at 9:04 pm

The people in charge of the glades could have made a few more episodes just to clear up what happened and still had him alive and get married. Darn shame In my view it was a good series and should be brought back

cathy October 22, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I just started watching the glades a week ago and have watched all four seasons in two weeks. I Didn’t realize it was canceled. I’m very disappointed there is no season five. They could have at least ended it properly. Not just leave you hanging! I would like a happy ending.

brenda October 19, 2014 at 4:40 pm

loved this show why cancel it this always happens I get watching a good show than pow they cancel it getting so I don’t want to watch TV anymore

lisa griffith October 14, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I love the glades it was a great show. I wish it would come back on

Gail October 14, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Loved the show so sorry it is cancelled. I didn’t think Jim and Callie were a good couple; something didn’t click between them for me.

Gail October 14, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Sorry the show is cancelled. It is one of my favorites. I really am not a fan of Jim and Callie. Actually, not a fan of Callie’s.