The Leftovers: Season Two Renewal for HBO Series

The Leftovers TV show on HBO: season 2HBO has announced that they’re renewed The Leftovers for a second season. Airing on Sunday nights, the first season is currently averaging 1.56 million viewers in initial airings.

Here are the details:

HBO RENEWS “THE LEFTOVERS” FOR A SECOND SEASON

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 13, 2014 – HBO has renewed the drama series THE LEFTOVERS for a second season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming. Created by Damon Lindelof (Emmy(R) winner for “Lost”) and acclaimed novelist Tom Perrotta (Academy Award(R) nominee for “Little Children”), the series is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television. Lindelof serves as showrunner.

“We are thrilled to bring back THE LEFTOVERS for a second season with the exceptional talents of Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta,” says Lombardo. “It has been truly exciting to see the overwhelming response to their provocative and original storytelling. We look forward to continuing the journey as the show delves deeper into the lives of those who remain.”

Currently debuting hour-long episodes on Sundays at 10:00 p.m. (ET/PT), and based on Perrotta’s bestselling novel of the same name, THE LEFTOVERS is an original look at The Rapture… or was it The Rapture at all? Set in a small New York suburb, the intimate family drama focuses on the residents of the fictional town of Mapleton, whose preconceptions are shattered in the wake of a global event dubbed “The Sudden Departure.” Three years after the fateful day when 140 million people disappeared without a trace, the series looks at the ways ordinary people react to inexplicable events that can unite or divide families and communities, examining how their untold grief and the strain of an unprecedented calamity can turn faith into cynicism, paranoia, madness or cult-like fanaticism.

The ten-episode first season of THE LEFTOVERS debuted June 29 on HBO, with the season finale slated to debut Sept. 7. Among the critical praise, the New York Times hailed the show for “an intriguing premise that is intelligently and artfully presented,” while HitFix.com said of Damon Lindelof, “Maybe he saw the opportunity in ‘The Leftovers’ to make something great. Because he sure as hell has.” The New Yorker noted that the show “captures the disorientation of grief in a way that is provocative and rare for television,” adding, “‘The Leftovers’ is something new.”

Season one series regulars include Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Christopher Eccleston, Liv Tyler, Chris Zylka, Margaret Qualley, Carrie Coon, Emily Meade, Amanda Warren, Ann Dowd, Michael Gaston, Max and Charlie Carver, and Annie Q.

Season one credits: THE LEFTOVERS is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television; created by Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta; executive produced by Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta, Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey; co-executive producers, Ron Yerxa and Albert Berger. Damon Lindelof serves as showrunner.

What do you think? Do you like The Leftovers on HBO? Do you think it should have been renewed or cancelled instead?

Realist September 7, 2014 at 11:18 pm

This is not about Christianity, it about people dealing with life. So all you nuts relying on an afterlife go back to your delusional lives, and let the realists enjoy watching a well written show.

Linda fellows September 7, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I love the show. It’s intriguing and I usually have to watch each episode twice before I get it! The acting is superb, especially Kevin. He can really get into the moment!
I know about the rapture, and think it may happen some day, and that may be the reason this show is so appealing to me. I can’t wait for next season!!!

Veronica R Burris August 31, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Very intriguging and suspenful.. Glad they renewed it.
I love this series..I’m hooked!

Elayne August 26, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Very intriguging! I absolutely love this show…deep, dark, and very entertaining. I look forword to seeing it every week. I am very pleased to learn of the renewal for season 2. I would have been extremely disappointed if it had not been renewed!

Jon August 25, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Love it best show on TV at the moment

Barbara August 24, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I love this show I am so happy they renewed it

Michele August 20, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I keep watching and hoping that something, anything interesting will happen or that it will make sense. I still don’t know how to feel about it but I’ve seen way better shows canceled. I’m still trying to figure out the purpose of the freaks in white and why they don’t talk and have all started smoking. As far as original series go I prefer Game of Thrones, Power, Ray Donovan Masters of Sex and Homeland.

Jesus Christ August 20, 2014 at 9:02 am

I really love this show. It is just as puzzling and intriguing as Lost was.

Kcuf August 19, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Great show. Dont know why people dislike it. Its a show you actually have to pay attention to.

willie meis August 16, 2014 at 1:10 am

This show is very confusing. first I don’t like the language. second I don’t like the nudity, and third I don’t like the smoking. I’m glad there aren’t any children in my house watching this show.
I would like to know what you are trying to get us to understand.
I’m a Christian and God is totally taken out of this show.
If you really wanted to do some good, do it in good taste.

Linda fellows September 7, 2014 at 11:11 pm

If you don’t like the language, nudity and smoking, don’t watch it. They aren’t my favorite things to watch either, and the smoking really gags me, but the other stuff goes on in the real world. The story line is confusing, but it apparently peeks your interest, otherwise you wouldn’t be watching it.

snugs October 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Willie, this is a thinking adults show, so take it as it is. Too much reality for you? How is God totally taken out of the show when you can watch it as a christian and it would be all about God. What if all the sinners have been left and the others went to heaven? This is what might happen to those remaining. You can watch this show with your own values and meanings. It is what makes it so masterful.

Javier riley August 16, 2014 at 12:03 am

Cancel that TRASH!

Why Watch August 15, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Can’t believe a show this bad got renewed. Are they learning this from the networks, especially NBC renewing all those dismal comedies.

Donald Sawyer August 14, 2014 at 7:06 pm

To my surprise, I enjoy “The leftovers”. It is a story of how people cope with life’s obstacles. I also enjoy how the story is revealed bit by bit.

Jim August 14, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Unbelievable. This is the worst show in recent memory.

Shirley Cass August 14, 2014 at 12:14 am

This show is the best series I have had the pleasure to watch this year, and many seasons prior. Not since “Lost” have I been so engrossed in a television show. LOVE IT!