The Listener: TV Series Renewed for Season Three by CTV

Listener season threeAs you may recall, NBC cancelled The Listener two years ago after an unsuccessful summer run. For whatever reason, the series about a young paramedic (Craig Olejnik) who has the ability to listen to people’s thoughts, just didn’t catch on in the United States and did poorly in the ratings.

The show is produced in Canada and, despite the lack of interest in the US, it continues to be popular north of the border and internationally. The Listener was renewed for a second season of 13 installments in November 2009. Production didn’t start until September 2010 and the episodes just recently finished airing in Canada.

Now, CTV has renewed the series for a third season of 13 episodes. According to CTV, The Listener is one of the few scripted Canadian series to average more than one million viewers each week. It showed double-digit growth in its second season, rising 17% among total viewers and 47% among males 18-34.

It’s expected that season three of The Listener will begin airing in 2012 in Canada and internationally. Unfortunately for US fans, there are currently no stations airing the series here. Season one of The Listener was released on DVD in the UK only.

What do you think? Were you a fan of The Listener? Would you like to see another station in the United States pick it up? If you live in another country, are you glad to hear it’s been renewed?

Angel June 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Good show and made in Canada. Bonus. Acting is great. Like all the characters. Keep up the good writing and ideas.

Radhika June 8, 2013 at 8:44 am

Would love to see the second third and now fourth season in the uk have been a fan of the show and I keep trying to find out if DVD releases are being considered for region 2 .

pip clark January 20, 2013 at 6:22 pm

please bring it to England there are many fans over here.

cherie December 6, 2012 at 8:33 pm

bring it back

Johanne Desena July 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I am a faithful fan. I think it is a great show and it would be a crime not to renew again. Love to watch the BLUE eyes

Jen June 22, 2012 at 11:25 am

The Listener has great writing, great acting and great cinematography. What’s not to love? I hope this series gets picked up again in the US (around the world, actually). It’s also great to see Toronto actually being Toronto and not being forced to masquerade as some other city. All the best to everyone involved with the show!

Sean from Australia November 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I loved the first two seasons and was worried when the VoiceOver at the end of the second season finale, said that it was the final episode. I’m hoping he just failed to mention that it was only the season finale. Foxtel better be showing season three!

EstharVuure September 13, 2011 at 7:02 am

I really liked the first season of the Listener. I’m now halfway trough the second season, and I have to say….It’s bad. The reason I liked the first season was because of the nice character Toby had, the fact that there was a story behind the episodes, where he was looking for some anwsers about his past.
The ‘renewed’ second season is just lame. There are enough bad crime shows out there, the Listener wasn’t supposed to be one of them. It was nice that Toby used to help with cases that passed him because of his job. Now being a detective is sort of his job, and the paramedic thing just shows up now end than. There is now story whatsoever, just episode-end, episode-end. And there are still a lot of questions to be answered about his past…

(sorry about me rambling on..)

Hank Bahlmann September 5, 2011 at 7:34 pm

i hate all those realalety shows. housewives of everywhere are not real to much is cripted
I love the listener and the mentalists. A different twist on C.S.I .
Ghost Whisperer was interesting, but she was overdressed She had some-times evening clothes for going to work. To show her cleavage en boob job. There is not much I like to watch Those days.
Hank

iChristy July 1, 2011 at 7:16 am

I loved the show & hated it was cancelled. I still re-watch it on Hulu sometimes. I hope I can find a way to watch the episodes shown in Canada.