The Munsters: Mockingbird Lane Remake Delayed

Munsters Mockingbird Lane seriesIf you were dreading seeing a remake of The Munsters come to television, you’ve got a little reprieve.

Variety reports that Mockingbird Lane, the new title for the Munsters project, is out of the running for the fall portion of the 2012-13 season.

According to sources, the network doesn’t want to rush the project so filming won’t take place until summer. This means that Mockingbird Lane will be considered for mid-season but likely won’t be on the 2011-12 schedule when NBC holds its advertiser upfronts in May.

Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller is the creative force behind the Munsters remake and first started working on the project in 2010. NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt liked the general direction but passed on his first script. Fuller and NBC execs met about the project last summer and Fuller took another stab at it.

He submitted a new outline in September 2011 and turned in a script in November. The network ordered a pilot not long after that, with Fuller set to direct it. House’s Bryan Singer is executive producing.

While Mockingbird Lane will be loosely based on The Munsters sitcom, the new show is being envisioned as a darker one-hour series. The costumes and make-up will be toned down and the characters will more closely resemble regular humans.

What do you think? Are you curious to see how this pilot turns out?

karen November 22, 2012 at 9:45 pm

i saw the one episode-i guess the only airing. i loved it and i have looked for it every week,i just figured that ball games and holiday shows pre-empted it—-but.NO.!! it’s been cancelled? i am ******off. please network execs, give the new shows a chance for us to find them and get involved with them–you might be pleasantly surprised. i’ll be waiting for “mocking bird lane”, the resurrection. please. kt

Kat February 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I like the new title better, but the fact that it’s getting delayed makes me think Bryan Fuller came up with something odd and great and daring and the network said, “Forget that. Rewrite!” Until proven otherwise, NBC execs are responsible for so many of their shows failing… I know I’ve said I hate this idea and would rather have a new Addams Family series, but I guess I’m willing to give it a try, in the name of sci-fi solidarity — hopefully NBC will come up with some good stuff this time around. At least we’ve got Grimm (for however long that lasts).

Bethany February 12, 2012 at 5:22 am

I am a HUGE fan of the orignal. But I see this show being something completely different. Its like going to a movie, or watching a tv show based on a book or comic strip series. You are never going to get it right for everyone even some of the time. If they do this right, I think it could work. I know I will be checking it out, whenever they get around to letting me. But if they get it wrong, then I think the powers that be should really rethink weather they belong in this business. It is a stretch to think they can take such a beloved and amazing show as this and make it new, different, and dare I say better. So they better do a REALLY good job at it right out of the gate.

Tha Critic February 10, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Or here’s an idea: SOMETHING ORIGINAL THAT WILL MAKE THE SAME LASTING IMPRESSIONS AS THESE OLDER SHOWS. How does that strike you?

Fake Me Out February 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm

What I hate is when they try to duplicate the magic of the originals but end up, usually, with epic fails because they don’t try to imprint the new version with something actually new. Don’t try to make Munsters 2.0 instead make Munsters TNG … create new characters, new plots, new themes based on the old concept. Like the Night Stalker, only McGavin could be Kolchak, CARL Kolchak … why didn’t ABC start the remake with KARL Kolchak (Townsend) saying something like that when his uncle Carl told him the stories of monsters, he didn’t believe him until … you’ve got the nod to the past but then are now free to take the concept in new directions without ticking off the old fans.

Craig February 10, 2012 at 8:04 pm

NBC’s good shows are pretty pathetic. I don’t even want to consider watching one that has needed rewrites.

Tha Critic February 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I won’t smirk nor smile until this and every remake is canned.

roger February 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm

this is going to be a complete joke why bother