The Secret Life of the American Teenager: Cancelled, No Season Six

secret life of the american teenager canceled by ABC FamilyABC Family has decided to cancel their long-running TV series, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, after five seasons on the air. While there won’t be a sixth season, there’s still more to come.

Created by Brenda Hampton, Secret Life revolves around the relationships between families and friends and how they deal with unexpected pregnancies. Castmembers include Shailene Woodley, Kenny Baumann, Francia Raisa, Daren Kagasoff, Greg Finley, Megan Park, India Eisley, Molly Ringwald, Mark Derwin, Michael Grant, and Cierra Ramirez.

Debuting in 2008, Secret Life became ABC Family’s first hit scripted series and paved the way for future successes like Pretty Little Liars.

Should Secret Life be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings have come down over the years. To date, the fifth season has averaged a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demgraphic with 1.38 million viewers. Still, it remains one of ABC Family’s highest-rated series.

While the show is ending, there are still 13 installments to come. A holiday episode is slated for November 19th and the dozen final installments will start airing next March. By the end, there will be 121 episodes of Secret Life.

Hampton called the series regulars to break the news. It’s unknown if the final episode will give the show some closure, end on a cliffhanger, or simply be open-ended.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that The Secret Life of the American Teenager has been cancelled? How would you like to see the show end?

Canceled and renewed TV show

65 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

You can not end it , and just cancel it ! Come on , this show teaches many young girls and guys on what they may go through in highschool & makes them realize so much . After I finished the last episode, I did look up if there was any chance there was more coming up . You need to continue this . I love watching this show I honesty can say it helped me in many ways , please don’t end it . Look this show inspires a lot of people . Me as a becoming freshman in a few weeks or less, helped me in a way to kinda look out on highschool & how highschool can likely turn out in most of us . So please such as me & obviously other people want this or more likely need it as to seem we ain’t the only ones feeling related to ‘ The Secret Life Of The American Teenagers ‘ situation.

2. ana garza says

I think They should make another season where Amy and ricky still end up together and raise their son. I hate the fact Ben trys still to be with Amy when Amy is in love with ricky I think she would still marry ricky in the end. They do make a cute couple.

3. sasha says

i think they should do another one now in 2016 it can show that know they are mature in know how to handle things complicated can come there way but they will find a way to handle it…………..i think i should go on to season. 6 .7 >>>>

4. sasha says

5. kassie Jackson says

I love that’s show and I have to little girl that love to watch it with me plz don’t cancel it

6. Bailey says

i think it was horrible to end like that. There should be a season 6 showing amy going to college and how her and Ricky get through it. And showing how and rain likes New York. This is not right. It needs to go on

7. Alesha Vandergriff says

This show should still go on I’ve watched all of them so far this just ruined my night ! A lot of people like this show. Why would you even think of stopping it ? . Open your eyes we really want more episodes . Please rethink

8. karylis cancel says

Hey I really love this show it help me knowing that sex is not everything and the ending was so sad I don’t know why y’all did that if there was going to be no 6 and Ricky and amy should of stay together and live together in new York with they son and who care who don’t watch the show I know I do and I don’t like the end in acb family don’t want y’all put some where else because I need the happy end please please I really love this show and it inspired me in lot of things I hope y’all get this

9. Devonta Hymes says

I THINK AMY & RICKY SHOULD STAY TOGETHER AND GET MARRIED AND HAVE ABOUT 3 CHILDREN AND LIVE IN NEW YORK IN A CONDO AND JUSS LIVE A GOOD LIFE AND HAVE A SENSON 6 ALL THE WAY TO A SENSON 12 I REALLY LOVE AMY SHE GO THOU BUT STILL NEED LOVE THEY HIPNATIZE MIE ALOT I CRYIED WEN THE LITTLE BABY JOHN SAID RING AND WEN RICKY PERPOSED TO AMY. ADRIAN SHOULD TALK TO AMY IN A BAD WAY AND AMY PUNCH HER AND SLEEP HER…….. IM INLOVE WITH AMY YHEAPP OOOOOWE YHEA YHEA.YHEA YHEA.

10. Quiera says

I love the show I really want to Season 6 and more to come I really hope the show keep going and Amy and Ricky be together…

11. Genesis Garcia says

I think the show should not be cancelled for many reason . This show can help many teenagers is very helpful on how a teenager goes and have sex and the trouble that it cause by not thinking of the consequences .My opinion is that you guys should make and season 6 .Also I really love this show .

Hope you count my opinion and renew the show .!!