The Secret Life of the American Teenager: Cancelled, No Season Six

secret life of the american teenager canceled by ABC FamilyABC Family has decided to cancel their long-running TV series, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, after five seasons on the air. While there won’t be a sixth season, there’s still more to come.

Created by Brenda Hampton, Secret Life revolves around the relationships between families and friends and how they deal with unexpected pregnancies. Castmembers include Shailene Woodley, Kenny Baumann, Francia Raisa, Daren Kagasoff, Greg Finley, Megan Park, India Eisley, Molly Ringwald, Mark Derwin, Michael Grant, and Cierra Ramirez.

Debuting in 2008, Secret Life became ABC Family’s first hit scripted series and paved the way for future successes like Pretty Little Liars.

Should Secret Life be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings have come down over the years. To date, the fifth season has averaged a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demgraphic with 1.38 million viewers. Still, it remains one of ABC Family’s highest-rated series.

While the show is ending, there are still 13 installments to come. A holiday episode is slated for November 19th and the dozen final installments will start airing next March. By the end, there will be 121 episodes of Secret Life.

Hampton called the series regulars to break the news. It’s unknown if the final episode will give the show some closure, end on a cliffhanger, or simply be open-ended.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that The Secret Life of the American Teenager has been cancelled? How would you like to see the show end?

Elizabeth January 6, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Oh! ABC Family! Why do you have to cancel yet another amazing show! Whyyyyyy? Closure? No! Amy needs to be with Ricky and Ricky needs to be with Amy! Until the family they have is settled and HAPPY , you absolutely can’t cancel it. Please! One more season of fixing everything! It can’t be this messed up! There break up was to heart wrenching! One season of happiness is all I ask. This is totally not fair!

Chris December 21, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Don’t end the show! It is a beautiful show and it should go on. Especially when Amy cancelled the wedding and left for New York and Ricky is staying with John. Plus Adrianne and Omar.

cj December 18, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Don’t end the show. Especially not with Amy leaving for New York. What will happen to John and what will happen with Ricky and Amy and Ben and Adrianne. Just don’t end it like this!

Tiara montgomery November 14, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Don’t end the show

Tiara montgomery November 14, 2013 at 6:20 pm

All I can say is please don’t end the show I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH but I still can’t believe amy left Rickey and John behind I wanted them to be happy together but nooo she has to go New York so ummm plz don’t end the show I want to know what happens between amy and Rickey and Ben and what happens at new York but don’t let amy go back with Ben. Luv the show

Teryn September 22, 2013 at 9:47 pm

And this show tought me alot please don’t end it

Teryn September 22, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I want it to never end n I love the show n please don’t make it end n call me BC I got so many ideas n if u don’t wan me to have your number den do a *67 me I don’t care please just call me

Keke August 12, 2013 at 2:30 am

Amy was so selfish in the last season
After all Ricky did for her!!! It was so sad that she left him, they could of worked things out, Now Ben might win sucks
If Amy doesn’t go back to Ricky , Adrianne should… she loved him

Brandi July 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( Yes, the acting wasn’t great, but I loved this show. I was so excited to watch season 6 :( There are so many things that are still unanswered.. So many things that haven’t been finished :( They could have at least had everybody die in a plane crash or something.. then it wouldn’t be so.. Cliff-hangy. Bummer..

jessica June 5, 2013 at 2:31 am

i want the secret life american teenager back it is my favorite show and my child watches it and it is so kool…………………………… please do season 6 don’t cancelled the show plz……………….

steph May 29, 2013 at 9:22 pm

i love this show and it can’t be canceled it was to open and amy and ricky have to get married for real. i rhink there should be at least teo more seasons.

Nana April 6, 2013 at 11:37 am

I absolutely adore this show and I wish that there would be a season 6. The ending was too open. I think that it should end once all the main characters are in college. This is my fav show, great work Brenda !

Toni January 29, 2013 at 6:49 pm

This show started off really good but the story and point soon became lost in all the technical errors. The dialogue became sloppy and redundant, the acting stiff and detactched, & the relationships just insincere. The story/plot lost its way. I’m truly sad to see the show end since I was wishing they would just fix the problems. I know from personal experience that being in this industry is hard but despite all the negativity Brenda still kept audiences captivated and intrigued. No matter how many times I said I would never watch this show again, (Its literally painful for me to watch bc of technical things), I’ve always come back and tune in to satisfy my curiousity of the characters. So, all I ask, is that there be no open endings, clear accepting closure on all characters that’s been apart of the show, & most importantly for Amy to act/become sane for the few remaining episodes. Ricky deserves that…and so do we.

Tessa December 28, 2012 at 10:31 am

this show was terrible. there was too much dialogue and terrible acting all around. I stopped watching after the second season because Amy became unbearably self-centered. I’m glad it’s canceled so I don’t have to suffer through anymore commercials of it.

Tiara montgomery November 14, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I so totally disagree with this show is awesome if u watched the rest of the season they are so juicy and it makes u want to keep watching